Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ben Zobrist/Yunel Escobar Traded To the A's For Daniel Robertson/Boog Powell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
No, not THAT Boog Powell.

Deal done. Robertson went from being Oakland's top prospect to TB's top prospect.

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Great trade for the Rays IMO. Robertson is a stud and should do well for them. Zobrist was going to be traded at some point anywhere and getting Robertson back was a good haul. Jaso will help them in the "now" to at least stay semi relevant. Escobar has always been a below average player to me and makes errors and doesn't show up when needed.

What are the A's doing? They have moved their top prospects and their vets and now just have a bunch of average players with no good farm. Maybe they plan to flip zobrist and escobar during the year and are betting that they can get a higher return than just Robertson.

Very interesting IMO, but def. makes the rays worse in the now so its a good deal from a yankee perspective.

gojacks63

Jan 23, 2013
I have always viewed Zobrist as an underrated player because any given season he can have an all star year. But that comes with its territory. Any given year, he can hit .270 with 15 homers.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I have always viewed Zobrist as an underrated player because any given season he can have an all star year. But that comes with its territory. Any given year, he can hit .270 with 15 homers.

And he can play just about everywhere as well. I really like zobrist and it will be weird not seeing him as a ray.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I like the move for the A's. Valuable players in return at valuable positions, with proven production.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
I like the move for the A's. Valuable players in return at valuable positions, with proven production.

If they had kept their other guys (samardjza, moss, etc.) instead of selling off their veterans I would agree. But they have given up almost all their top prospects, sold off their best vets, and now have mostly average guys with a few good players and no farm. Plus Zobrist is gone after this year.

Good on the Rays for getting Robertson but I don't understand what the A's are doing still.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
What are the A's doing? They have moved their top prospects and their vets and now just have a bunch of average players with no good farm. Maybe they plan to flip zobrist and escobar during the year and are betting that they can get a higher return than just Robertson.
I think they're trying to get out of Oakland. Zero reason for any fan to attend this year. No big players, no promising prospects, awful stadium. Maybe no attendance puts more pressure on the Giants to let them move to San Jose?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Can I get an A's fan to chime in? Correct me if I am wrong but this is what the A's have been doing for a while now. Their development team drafts well and they hold their arms but rarely hold their position players long term. When they get value from a positional prospect, they use that value to pick up proven MLB value that they consider undervalued.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Can I get an A's fan to chime in? Correct me if I am wrong but this is what the A's have been doing for a while now. Their development team drafts well and they hold their arms but rarely hold their position players long term. When they get value from a positional prospect, they use that value to pick up proven MLB value that they consider undervalued.

The only reason that I can see the A's making this deal is if they hope they can flip Zobrist and Escobar(likely in separate deals) at the deadline for a prospect package better than Robertson and Powell.