Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Built a player website? Know websites? Share your thoughts and recommendations!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
One of my goals in 2014 is to build a player website for Albert Belle. Not only could I use the thoughts, help, hints, recommendations, etc. but thought it might help other members and inspire other members to also create one if we shared thoughts about how some of y'all did it, hints to help get started or alone the way, recommendations for building a site, etc.

Really just a catch all thread for people to share experiences, hints, etc. about building a website, player website, etc.

Thanks everyone for the help and sharing your own experiences and thoughts in advance!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Me too. There are too many options, So this thread could be good. Looking for a free site, so I wonder if it's even possible.
Wix?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I had a pretty decent free one for a bit. I don't even remember who the host was that had a page builder and was pretty easy to use. Its irrelevant as the host suddenly seemed to go out of business without warning. Lots of time wasted so I probably should have spent money though for free it was nice while it lasted.

I just contributed NO useful information and I apologize

I had a pretty decent free one for a bit. I don't even remember who the host was that had a page builder and was pretty easy to use. Its irrelevant as the host suddenly seemed to go out of business without warning. Lots of time wasted so I probably should have spent money though for free it was nice while it lasted.

I just contributed NO useful information and I apologize

That was one of the greatest things I have ever read on here!! Give this guy a point!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I've had www.markgrace.com since 1998 (had gracecollector.com before that). It is done in Dreamweaver. I do all the graphics myself using Adobe Photoshop. I host it with 2mhost.com, which costs about $50 a year total for hosting and domain name registration. Because of its longevity, content and relevant URL, it has a decent Google ranking, which has attracted advertising inquiries. Last year I made over $500 on text links, so having the site more than pays for itself. Its main benefits are that I can share my collection with the world, have access to images of all my cards whenever I want (great at cardshows now with my tablet), and lets people see that I'm a passionate, dedicated collector. That helps with card negotiations. It also pays off with people contacting me now and then out of the blue about a nice Mark Grace card, like the one I posted today in the 2005 Absolute thread.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I've had www.dilfer.com for about 15 years, between the domain name and hosting it costs me about $100 a year. I'm sure I could do it more cheaply but at this point I'm too lazy to move anything. I've also been lax with the player collection portion of the site at http://www.dilfer.com/collection/dilferc/, but if you click one of the years 1994 through 1997 you can see one way to organize it. I've seen better and worse.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Mac,
with the money you save by not having new Belle cards to buy, its worth the fifty or so a year to have a paid site. Use Jalbum for the photos, and use webpagemaker for the splash pages. If i can do it, you can do it. It really is that simple. :)

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Some really awesome stuff in here so far!! I'm willing to pay monthly or annually for a player site for sure! I already have the domain name (www.AlbertBelle8.com) and will need to make sure I can use that, so need to look into that too.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
My site is an ad-free paid site on Wix...I have tons of editing to do, but I got a year of hosting with the professional account on sale for $6 a month paid up front. Love the intuitive nature of the site as well.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I posted this on another thread:
Here is how I have a section of my site organized: http://www.royoswalt44.com/base-inserts-parallels.html.
Adding new cards is a breeze also.
If I wanted to add a new card to any year I just go <li>2006 awesome Josh Johnson 1/1</li>
It will automatically update the total for that year, the year completion %, and the overall total and overall completion %.
Also, if you wanted to add the cards you didn't own, it's set up to subtract those from the total.
For example:
1. owned card
2. owned card
3. don't have this one***
4. owned card
It would spit out: Personal recognized completion: 3/4 or 75%
If you wanted to have a gallery pop up display that's easy as well.
So check out my site if you are interested. I could help you create a personal site if you wanted.

I use Weebly, and I think it's an excellent and free way to make a site.
I do know how to code in CSS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, and ActionScript (Flash).
Oh and adding your domain name is also free with Weebly.
They also have a ton of templates if you don't want to learn the coding side.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'm using webs.com and have been on it for quite a long time, since Yahoo discontinued Geocities. It's easy to use and was pretty quick to pick up just from playing around. I use the free version where you can accumulate points to use for mini upgrades, or you can pay for various levels of service and features. The main disadvantage of a free site is the limitation on data transfer, which for me means I can't display all the scans of my cards. I currently just have links to my Photobucket albums.

- Rodrick

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Also a fringe benefit of having a player site is that once in a while somebody will find your site on google and contact you with stuff of your player they think you might be interested in. Usually it's the normal easy to find junk you don't need, but I've picked up a couple things I didn't have that way.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I posted this on another thread:
Here is how I have a section of my site organized: http://www.royoswalt44.com/base-inserts-parallels.html.
Adding new cards is a breeze also.
If I wanted to add a new card to any year I just go <li>2006 awesome Josh Johnson 1/1</li>
It will automatically update the total for that year, the year completion %, and the overall total and overall completion %.
Also, if you wanted to add the cards you didn't own, it's set up to subtract those from the total.
For example:
1. owned card
2. owned card
3. don't have this one***
4. owned card
It would spit out: Personal recognized completion: 3/4 or 75%
If you wanted to have a gallery pop up display that's easy as well.
So check out my site if you are interested. I could help you create a personal site if you wanted.

I use Weebly, and I think it's an excellent and free way to make a site.
I do know how to code in CSS, HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, and ActionScript (Flash).
Oh and adding your domain name is also free with Weebly.
They also have a ton of templates if you don't want to learn the coding side.

I use weebly too and have been satisfied. Do you mind sharing how you got that "Back to the Top" arrow on the right side?

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I use weebly too and have been satisfied. Do you mind sharing how you got that "Back to the Top" arrow on the right side?
It has been quite awhile since I put that in. I would have to check the code.
However, to the top buttons are pretty easy to implement.
I would use jQuery, like on this page: http://www.developerdrive.com/2013/...ck-to-top-floating-button-with-smooth-scroll/

I checked out your site. That is actually the template I started with so many years ago. Man have I made a lot of changes.

Last edited: