Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Most money ever spent on a Mo Vaughn card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Not sure what I was thinking but love the old 1/1's. Goes well with the Maddux I have. Can't imagine too many Vaughn cards have sold for $200+ in years but Vaughn was an incredible hitter for a few seasons.

c1e71a2441226b0c9ed8093df0698e71.jpg

fa19341d6bd3f5a54a87f441b68dd3ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
One of the nice things about these cards is the fact they included the 1/1 info in the Congratulations on the back so you know it's legit...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Congrats! That's a nice patch set, imo. I tried to collect MO for a while and I'm sure I spent close to that on a few of his 90's inserts, but I just couldn't keep up with all his stuff AND the others I was working on, and all within a reasonable budget, so I took a loooong break. Lucky for you I don't have much of an income right now (being back in school and all), otherwise you and I might have had a spirited bidding war on that one.

Also, it's true that Mo doesn't have very many colorful materials and nice autos floating around out there. In the year I collected him, I never saw anything quite as nice as this game patch. I think it's time Topps or Panini buy some cool Mo Vaughn memorabilia and get it out on the market.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
In the mid-late-90s, if there was a rare Eric Karros insert card in a box, I pulled it. If he wasn't in that set, Mo Vaughn probably was, and I'd get him. It was frustrating because I really wanted Frank Thomas, but his cards could be traded off easily enough. I liked Vaughn because I went to Syracuse and he went to Seton Hall, and I was amazed a Big East baseball player could become MVP. I didn't even know the Big East had baseball, SU being the only school not to have a baseball team.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Mo Vaughn - my accidental collection.

Every time I opened a box in the 90s, I pulled Mo Vaughn. It got to the point, I really started following him and rooting for him, then buying his singles.

My favorite card is probably the 97 Donruss Signature Notable Nicknames Autograph. Other than that, not much fancy stuff out there. Tons of cool 90s inserts though... as he was in his prime at the same time inserts were in their prime, and included in a lot of the cool sets.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I collected Mo during his Red Sox days but didn't have any crazy stuff. He has some monster years. No shame in the Jersey 1/1.

Ryan
Will Clark / Mike Brown Collector

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Thanks everyone for the comments and reassurance. I had a lower number in mind for my max bid and then got caught up in bidding at the end. I try to avoid that, but with a card like this it was easy (in the moment) to say, "I think it could be worth more than that..." and continue bidding.

Vaughn had a stretch back in the day in Boston where he was a really, really good player, but he's definitely been (IMO) forgotten, and he didn't have the longevity to get much consideration for the Hall. [MENTION=11496]goobmcnasty[/MENTION] the 1997 Donruss Signature Notable Nicknames set is an all-time great set. Great looking cards, original idea, and really solid checklist. The Stan Musial and Randy Johnson cards are epic. (I used to own a Johnson, but sold it a while back and actually made an offer on a Musial recently.)

I think as some of the comments in this thread indicate, Vaughn is one of those guys who has a strong regional fan base and would be worth bringing back into some newer sets...

I'll admit that for me it was about the rare insert set as much (or more) than the player. 2000 brings back some strong memories of collecting and ripping packs...

Members online