Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ian Desmond Signs With the Rangers For One Year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
He'll be playing LF - which I'll believe when I see.

Rangers give up their first round pick. (#19)

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Source: #Rangers sign Desmond. Agreement between #Rangers and Desmond will be pending a physical. Deal in place. Desmond deal with #Rangers is for one year.

Last edited:

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I suppose they felt comfortable enough giving up #19 , having just gotten #14 from Baltimore. Interesting landing spot for Desmond, though.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
They don't get the #14 pick - they get the #30 pick (Gallardo). The former was for Fowler.

Ah, that makes it a bit more head scratching, especially there, again, is no need at any one of Ian's perceived three best spots on the diamond.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
At that cost, I do not see much downside for the Rangers.

Not bad at all. His 2015 season wasn't great but we know he has the talent to put up 3-4 WAR seasons. At $8 million they only need to worry about him putting up roughly a 1.5 WAR and he's done that or better 5 years in a row. Now, as a leftfielder his dWAR will likely go down but still...it's only $8 million.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Will be interesting to see how he does in leftfield after playing no games there last year. I thnk he will be able to adapt pretty easily. Good to have a player that can play several positions.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
This is a dumb move by the Rangers. They have several players that can exceed a 1.5 WAR and the cost is not too bad, but it's steep for a player who has been on the decline. I will bet Desmond wants to kick his agent's bum for not taking that mega contract extension a few years ago. Ouch...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
He turned down a $15.8 million one year deal with the Nationals to test the free agent market, and two years ago he turned down a $90 million extension.

So now no one wants him and his crappy defense and declining offense, so he signs for just $8 million and will be a utility player when Josh Hamilton comes back in May.

Last edited:

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
This is a dumb move by the Rangers. They have several players that can exceed a 1.5 WAR and the cost is not too bad, but it's steep for a player who has been on the decline. I will bet Desmond wants to kick his agent's bum for not taking that mega contract extension a few years ago. Ouch...

He turned down a $15.8 million one year deal with the Nationals to test the free agent market, and two years ago he turned down a $90 million extension.

So now no one wants him and his crappy defense and declining offense, so he signs for just $8 million and will be a utility player when Josh Hamilton comes back in May.

Not sure what Desmond and his agent were thinking about with not taking the contract extension in 2014, it was more than reasonable market value for a top producing SS. At his current cost, how can this be a bad move for the Rangers? He had three consecutive seasons of 4+ WAR at SS before under 2 WAR last season. One season below the his previous 3 marks a dramatic decline? I think not and he also provides a lot of flexibility for the Rangers. They can play him all over the infield and take away the reliance that they foolishly placed in Hamilton again. Not sure how Desmond's decision to not sign the extension translates into the Rangers making a bad deal.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.

hahaha look how the worm has turned.

Also...i guess Michael Choice fell off the earth?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts