Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonic311

Jun 14, 2016
Paramount, CA
I purchased a card from overseas and seller sent me a message asking for my phone number.
I replied and asked why he needed it and he said he needs to put it on the invoice.
This is the first time I've purchased something from overseas so just want to be on the safe side.
Is this standard practice for overseas sellers?

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Make up a number or the standard (***)867-5309. Tell them thats your friend Jenny's number.

Fordman

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There's a chance he just wants to confirm your identity by Googling the phone number to make sure it's really the name on the eBay account. It's an overseas sale so he might have been scammed before and is just asking for a second ID.

It sounds silly, but I've actually Googled the address of 0-feedback buyers to make sure the name on the eBay invoice matches. I know you're not a 0-account buyer, but he may just be paranoid because of a previous bad sale he had.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I wouldn't give him a false number but I would definitely ask him more questions about why he needed to put your phone number on the invoice. And state that you've never heard of such a thing and you want to know why. And after all that I still don't think I'd give anybody overseas my phone number.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
I wouldn't give him a false number but I would definitely ask him more questions about why he needed to put your phone number on the invoice. And state that you've never heard of such a thing and you want to know why. And after all that I still don't think I'd give anybody overseas my phone number.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Truthfully I think it’s legit and as one of you said paranoid. Although I hate buying overseas because you have to put a month in your mind to get card, but I have only had a problem once out of about 20 times and always cards come great condition and packaged well. They get hit with double fees we do and that time I had a problem. Post office of course. Just my 10 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Sonic311

Jun 14, 2016
Paramount, CA
Thanks for chiming in guys appreciate the feedback.

Here's the response I got when I messaged the seller saying I've never heard of this and why was the phone number needed to be put on the invoice.

Sorry sir..
In filling out the shipping form at the Post office, a recipient's phone number is required for overseas submissions. And that is the provision of the delivery service.

Thank you

Item location DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
Seller yuniwulandari151115

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
UPS has an option to put a phone number when filling out a shipping label online, so if there are any questions with the shipment, UPS can contact the recipient. I know the seller said post office, so different, but could be the same. Youre giving a phone number, not a SSN, I see zero issue with this.

Dec 4, 2008
Not a big deal. You are far more exposed with PII in your daily life. Many shipping services require a phone number with shipment. With eBay shipment info as it comes to me as a seller post payment, it Automatically comes with the buyers info populated along with their phone number. Not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts