Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

"The Pine Tar Incident"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
I used a palette knife, a paintbrush, and a boatload of pine tar for this one. 24" x 36". Completed July, 2013. Now, if anyone has any ideas of how I can actually display this one, I'm all ears, lol!

pinetar_zps604f3090.jpg

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
If it is dry, I would try a frame that has a space between the picture and the glass. Sort of like a shadowbox.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
If it is dry, I would try a frame that has a space between the picture and the glass. Sort of like a shadowbox.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's the problem....the pine tar isn't going to dry (completely). I had to apply it very thick in places, and if it stands upright over a length of time, I believe it will run. This piece has been 2 years in the making, and with the 30th anniversary of the Pine Tar game approaching, I went ahead and finished. Over the past couple of years, I have experimented with putting Modge Podge over the tar, spraying it, etc. So far....nada. This may be a piece that I end up having photos for memories while the original is in a landfill.

Tim

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
A clear resin will probably be your only other option...that might actually look cool too. Even a low temp kiln would probably be too warm for the tar to keep its shape for very long.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Maybe try this on a junk piece. Try a heat gun to see if it will dry out or if it melts and makes a big mess.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Coffee table?????

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I thought of that too. Put under the glass. Just wasn't sure if it would eventually level it's self out over time. If it can be dried then it might last.

tim carroll

Feb 15, 2009
Some good thoughts. In all I've seen so far with the pine tar, it pretty much holds its form without leveling out at all for a couple of weeks. After that, it kind of thins a bit and the sharp edges made into it start to blur. If nothing else, I'll get a professional photographer out here to get some good shots that I can use down the road for prints.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion. That's the problem....the pine tar isn't going to dry (completely). I had to apply it very thick in places,

I would give it a year lying flat and see if there is a "solvent" like substance in pine tar that will evaporate away -- even in the thickest areas - given a long amount of time.

I know that defeats the purpose of having it ready for sale or display for the 30th anniv of the game but that may get the artwork to have some value that you can cash in on eventually or be able to display in your collection if you are keeping it.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The pine tar may never dry completely, especially since you applied it so thick.
I have a couple of game-used bats from the '80s that are still sticky, and there's hardly any pine tar on them.
I'd imagine your thickly applied pine tar piece will remain sticky for decades as well.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Am I the only who read the title and thought Richard did something sketchy? LOL
[MENTION=3132]Pine Tar[/MENTION]

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Am I the only who read the title and thought Richard did something sketchy? LOL
[MENTION=3132]Pine Tar[/MENTION]

When I seen this and did not see who started. I thought I don't remember sending anyone anything lately. :lol:

Tim excellant item as always. Love seeing your work. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts