Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Contemplating starting from home card business

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Been a little while gents. I've gone through getting divorced and getting re-settled. Baseball cards are a passion, and I'm lucky to be in a position to possibly get into the card business. Am I a total fool? I have an acquaintance who's done it and been successful but I wanted the unfettered opinions I've always gotten in here. It is something I'd like to be positive on, not just a hobby, and I have the time and inclination to do a good job. I envision traveling around to card shows in the greater Boston area on the weekends and making connections and so on. Anyhow, any insights would be appreciated. If I'm in the wrong area of the board I apologize. Cheers and BOSTON STRONG!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Can you explain a little more what you're trying to accomplish... so you'll basically run an eBay store dedicated to sports cards? Or you'll create a website and start a digital online card shop? Or you'll travel around to shows all the time and make money going to shows?

A little more detail would be great.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
I would say an online store (my girlfriend does web design) with a link to eBay and going to shows to get my name out there. I'd lean on my buddy (a fellow Sox fan and lucky for me I have season tix, going to be at the WS on Thursday!) for inventory contacts to start. I don't envision a brick and mortar store because of the overhead.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I would say an online store (my girlfriend does web design) with a link to eBay and going to shows to get my name out there. I'd lean on my buddy (a fellow Sox fan and lucky for me I have season tix, going to be at the WS on Thursday!) for inventory contacts to start. I don't envision a brick and mortar store because of the overhead.
And would this include selling wax or just singles or what?

I'm trying to understand the business model to help you with some feedback but it's so high level, it's basically like "well yea, you can def run an eBay store and sell cards... not sure you can pay the mortgage but you can make money as a hobby I assume"

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
I have a business degree and accounting background. I'm on disability for my back but between that and child support from my ex I do not need to pay the rent (I'm done with ownership and mortgages). I also won the lottery a few years ago which gives me a decent amount each year. All together I'm comfortable, but need the disability pay to make it each month. Long term I would like to replace the disability income with a card business, we're talking less than $16K per year profit. I know a couple of guys retiring who own stores and would be willing to sell but that would cost me around $50k. With eBay and the web there seems to be a lower barrier to entry, and it's something I have the time and ability to build up slowly.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Hey Thom,

Welcome back to the boards! Glad you got through your divorce and such. I can't imagine that was a very good experience, but hopefully things are going to be a lot better for you going forward!

I hope we see you around the boards more often again! I was bummed we never got to catch a sox game this season but I understand you had some other stuff to deal with this past summer. I will be at game two as well on Thursday... Let's hope the weather holds out and we get a decent night for it, though I anticipate it will be a bit chilly!

Welcome back!
Bill

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
I sold on eBay for almost a year while out of work. It can be done to help pay the bills. It takes some skill and luck in selling at the right time and not spazzing out and worrying about what each card profits or loses. You win some and lose some.

The key is to buy at the right price and hold on to prospects until call up. Grade the nicer cards and sell the others when hype is at its highest point. Find some vintage for cheap and resell. And keep repeating. Your going to have to devote some money to buying new cards to keep your inventory up.

Buying early on sealed cases of Bowman and Bowman Draft and holding is also a way to make profits.

Box breaks and modern wax other than Bowman are a bit to risky and will cause you to lose a lot of money.

Also buying stars in football and basketball and hoping for playoff spikes helped me out last year to make great money. I doubled my return on investment in Kevin Durant last year.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Buy, grade, sell. In my opinion grading is one of the best ways to profit on cards because you don't have to know anything about sports at all (read: you don't have to pick the right guys/cards 100% of the time) to be able to consistently profit.

Aside from that, if you are passionate about cards and you have time to learn the market and it's trends, there's a lot of money to be made in this industry.

If interested, you can check out the FCB group BGS submission info in my signature. Also, I'm no expert, but I've been doing what you're talking about for about 7 years now and I'd be happy to talk shop if you have specific ideas or questions you want to bounce off someone. Feel free to PM me anytime. Welcome back!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd say some of these are great points. IMO, the biggest thing is to know what sells and where to sell it. I've spoken at length to a guy I know who runs a store and have given him some help on where and how to move certain types of cards and what kinds of cards to buy.

For instance, I can go online and buy Texans cards all day long pretty cheaply. But if you take them to the flea market on the weekends during the season, depending on the card, you can quadruple your money easily. I was picking up JJ Watt stuff really cheap. His base rookies were $0.25-$0.50 a piece out of topps chrome. You take those out to a flea market here and sell them at $2.00 a piece or even $3.00 all day long. Remember that not everyone buys on eBay. So know what kinds of cards to buy and the best place to sell them.

You're obviously in Boston area so I'd look at doing something similar with Pedroia or other popular Boston players. Get stuff cheap online, eBay or not, especially from sellers out of state, and sell locally in person if possible. Or even to local dealers set up at flea markets or shows.

Another idea that recently came to me was the panini prizm stuff. The red and blue pulsars seem to sell decently. If you could find someone moving a bunch locally(offline) pop them up on eBay for a profit.

IMO, these are the easiest types of cards to sell and you have little money into them. Buying these, at the right times(mostly in the offseason), and selling in the proper venue will really help generate money. And recognize that all cards have some value. They can all be sold. It just has to be at the right venue.

JHeyKolektor24

Oct 14, 2013
Central TX
Open a store through godaddy. It would cost around $20 to open a site. Designing would be very easy and i could help you if you need. Would be directly linked to your PP account, secure and professional. Stay away from Ebay because their fees and seller support suck. Let me know if you need any help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts