Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jon Lester & Johnny Gomes to A's, Yoenis Cespedes & Comp Pick to Boston

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Finally a deal. I think O's would've been it if Harvey didn't get injured. Alex Speier of WEEI saying Cespedes for Lester & Gomes. That would be a lot for the Sox!

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The Sox also get a Competitive Balance Pick from next year's draft as well, per Passan.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Not too often you see a star traded for a star.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Cespedes is going to RAKE in Boston. Not that it will help the Red Sox but they can possibly package him in the offseason for tier 1 and tier 2 prospects. Imagine the Dodgers having him and Puig in the same OF? That's after they rid themselves of the Kemp problem $$$$$$.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
The A's were already the best team in baseball, and they just got better. Clear AL WS favorite now in my book. Just imagine if Parker was healthy for them (although they may not have gone after Lester then). Postseason rotation of Gray, Lester, Samardjia (sp?) is going to be tough to beat.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Wow.

Just wow.

Oakland got *****.

Is it really rape Sam if the team is in it to win it now?
Windows of World Series opportunity open and close very quickly.
The A's are in it for the win now.
Lester is the front of the rotation guy that they needed to compete with a possible match up against the Tigers Verlander yet again.

With the additional trade the A's made with the Twins getting Fuld to platoon with Gomes, losing Cespedes wont sting as much as it first looked, IMO.
However, I agree with JEBJJA, he will rake is Boston.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Local radio here in Boston is anywhere from tepid to downright pissed off, but I really think Cespedes is a great return. How much right handed power is around anymore? Lester has been great in the postseason, but he's never been as good in he regular season as he's been this year. Best more or less straight up trade in a long time, love it!

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Local radio here in Boston is anywhere from tepid to downright pissed off, but I really think Cespedes is a great return. How much right handed power is around anymore? Lester has been great in the postseason, but he's never been as good in he regular season as he's been this year. Best more or less straight up trade in a long time, love it!

I think if people calling in to WEEI are upset with the trade, then it's a good deal. At best they seem to get one call per show that actually makes sense, and then four hours of old men complaining that things aren't the same as back in Ted Williams' day.

I will certainly miss Lester, but the team needs offense badly. With all the pitching down on the farm, in theory Lester can be replaced. There's no one really in the system that, right now, can put up what Cespedes is capable of producing. If (and this is a huge if) Middlebrooks can get his **** together, he makes a great power trio with Ortiz and Cespedes for 2015 and beyond.

Now, in a perfect world, they'll offer Lester stupid money to come back after this season. I doubt Oakland will have the resources to sign him.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Even if we can't re-sign Jon, we've got a LOT of talented young pitchers to fill his shoes in the next two years, including Owens, Ranaudo, Webster, De La Rosa, Brian Johnson, Matt Barnes, Stankiewicz, Escobar, and Keith Couch. Certainly at least one of these guys can step up and become a stud in Boston.

One thing is for sure, opposing teams no longer will need a 3rd base coach when playing the Sox at Fenway.

Now, if we can re-sign Jon in the off-season, then yeah, Oakland got seriously violated on this one.

Welcome to Beantown Mr. Cespedes!

(if anyone wants to trade me an autographed Bowman chrome card of Yoenis, please PM me-- my best of him is only a blue RC ref....)

cespedes.blue.ref.rc.250.12bdp.os.jpg

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
That's $21 million the A's won't be paying the next 2 years. Cespedes figured to be, what, 1/8 of their payroll next year (using this years's opening day payroll)? Oakland doesn't have that kind of money. I always figured they only signed him to trade him once his salary started to increase.

Members online