Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So who is on your 2015 HOF ballot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Did you read his actual autobiography? He denies it in his book...these reports were circulating everywhere and were proven false once his book came out because he denied PED use in the book.

No interest in reading the book. Here is a breakdown of excerpts:

He admits to using androstenedione as part of a supplement pack until the outcry over Mark McGwire’s use of it forced him to “phase it out.” Baseball later banned the substance.

He also writes that he briefly experimented with amphetamines until they were banned in 2006. And he describes hearing about human growth hormone, doing some research and asking the Mets’ former trainer, Fred Hina, if teams would start distributing it, unaware that it was a banned substance. According to the book, Hina said he would look into it and a day or two later told Piazza it was not a good idea.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
No interest in reading the book. Here is a breakdown of excerpts:

He admits to using androstenedione as part of a supplement pack until the outcry over Mark McGwire’s use of it forced him to “phase it out.” Baseball later banned the substance.

He also writes that he briefly experimented with amphetamines until they were banned in 2006. And he describes hearing about human growth hormone, doing some research and asking the Mets’ former trainer, Fred Hina, if teams would start distributing it, unaware that it was a banned substance. According to the book, Hina said he would look into it and a day or two later told Piazza it was not a good idea.

Right, are those from the article or from the book itself? Because in the book itself he completely denies using any PEDs. So those articles out there (there are multiple) that said he was going to admit using PEDs were completely wrong, not sure of their sources but when his book came out he completely denied it.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011

Again, in the book itself you hear it straight from the horse's mouth not from secondary sources. People will believe what they want to believe; he was most likely the greatest hitting catcher of all-time in an era where everyone and their mother was using steroids. I'm of the opinion that suspicion has no place in the HOF voting criteria because then you call into question a body of work that these guys sacrificed their lives for. If he's tested positive, throw the book at him.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Again, in the book itself you hear it straight from the horse's mouth not from secondary sources. People will believe what they want to believe; he was most likely the greatest hitting catcher of all-time in an era where everyone and their mother was using steroids. I'm of the opinion that suspicion has no place in the HOF voting criteria because then you call into question a body of work that these guys sacrificed their lives for. If he's tested positive, throw the book at him.

Are you missing his own admission of using Andro? Just because Piazza does not see that as steroid or PED usage, does not make it so. Not sure what to make of the 'sacrificed their lives,' comment and what exactly you mean.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Are you missing his own admission of using Andro? Just because Piazza does not see that as steroid or PED usage, does not make it so. Not sure what to make of the 'sacrificed their lives,' comment and what exactly you mean.

No I'm not, it was banned in 2004 - he did not use it after it became banned. He did not use a banned substance during his career, if the substances subsequently became banned and he stopped using them, I honestly don't understand the argument to use that as a knock against him.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Here are mine:

1. Randy Johnson - Top 4 Greatest Pitcher of All Time
2. Barry Bonds - Steroids or not, All-Time AND Single-Season HR King
3. Mark McGwire - Growth Hormones also brought baseball back from the slums
4. Pedro Martinez - Dominant Pitcher for 10+ Years
5. Mike Piazza - Best Offensive Producing Catcher of All Times... HOF #s even if he was a 1Bman.

Very loaded this year. I really hope 4 or 5 guys make it because it's the first time in my life I truly feel like 10 players could be justified in making the HOF. There were quite a few dull years in the HOF voting process.

I've taken guilty steroid players into account but since I can't vote for everyone, they are considered last. I would love to see Big Mac and Bonds in the HOF some day b/c I think they are huge part of baseball history in an era where 95% of players were juicing. They were the best of that era.

Anyway, here is my ballot in order of who I think deserves it more. My first 8 picks I think should be locks, but they aren't.

1. Randy Johnson
2. Pedro Martinez
3. Mike Piazza
4. John Smoltz
5. Curt Schilling
6. Mike Mussina
7. Jeff Bagwell
8. Craig Biggio
9. Barry Bonds
10. Mark McGwire

I think 5 get in this year. I really do. I see Unit, Pedro, Smoltz as locks and Biggio and Piazza squeaking in.

What would your ballot look like and who do you THINK gets in?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Ridiculous to call biggio a compiler since he played a typical amount of years for a hall of famer AND was productive until his last season.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
My vote:
1. Pedro Martinez
2. Randy Johnson
3. Roger Clemens
4. Barry Bonds
5. Mike Piazza
6. Jeff Bagwell
7. Craig Biggio
8. Curt Schilling
9. John Smoltz
10. Nomar Garciaparra

Yeah, I get that a lot of people would hate the Nomar vote, but the guy was one of my favorite players growing up and his seasons from 1997 through 2003 were terrific. I know he won't get in, and may not even get 5%, but I would throw one vote for him.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Ridiculous to call biggio a compiler since he played a typical amount of years for a hall of famer AND was productive until his last season.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

He was never dominant...at anything. Not even the best player on his own team (Bagwell). Thats the definition of a compiler.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I think the following four get in tommorow: Martinez, Johnson, Smoltz, and Biggio

My guesses at their vote %

96.9 - R. Johnson
94.8 - P. Martinez
82.7 - Smoltz
77.1 - Biggio

Piazza missing with 73.9 %

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
He was never dominant...at anything. Not even the best player on his own team (Bagwell). Thats the definition of a compiler.

How does having a HOF teammate make you a compiler? Lou Gehrig played in the shadow Babe Ruth. Eddie Mathews in the shadow of Hank Aaron... Biggio played positions usually not known for offense, and had 3060 hits (21st all-time), 1844 runs, (15th al-time) 668 doubles (5th all-time) to go with 400+ SB's. Pretty darn impressive numbers.

Here is my list. Still not sure what to do with Bonds and Clemens. I think baseball did them wrong, but not sure how to handle. They probably should be in, but I don't have them below...

1. Pedro Martinez - arguably the most dominant pitcher in baseball history
2. Randy Johnson - in some ways, the argument above can be said for Johnson as well
3. Mike Piazza - possibly the best hitting catcher of all-time
4. Jeff Bagwell - One of best hitting 1st basemen of all time. Did not play long enough to have the huge counting stats, but should not be overlooked
5. Craig Biggio - 3000 hits playing positions not known for offense
6. Curt Schilling - funky career, but such a dominant peak that IMO he deserves in

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Top,

He wasn't dominant. Never Top 3 in MVP voting. Topped 5.0 WAR only 5 times.

Is he a HOF guy? Probably, as a compiler.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I don't worry about the HOF anymore.

It doesn't mean anything at this point.

Until they let McGwire, Bonds and Clemens in, I'm done caring about the HOF.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
With 32% of the HOF vote in RJ, Pedro, Biggio, and Smoltz are in. Piazza is sitting on the fence with 75.4% I really didn't think 5 would get in. It will be close for Piazza though.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I hope Schilling never gets in... that ****** makes me sick to my stomach. guy gets on a moral soapbox over PED's but hasn't been such a saint in his own life that he can go judge others or spout off at the mouth the way he does.

Members online

Latest posts