Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kris Bryant's Cards Are Officially Insane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
....in the membrane.

Of course, hitting two more HRs today (while playing DH, due to shoulder fatigue) for a total of six thus far could be responsible.

Some examples, from the 2013's (found in 2014 Bowman Inception, Platinum and Chrome).

BGS 10/10 base auto:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25187647349...38.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rmvSB=true

Raw Refractor auto/500:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Bowman...efaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4d9b1226&rmvSB=true

Raw Black Auto/35:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kris-Bryant...197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f84c0d5d

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Trout is less than a year older than Bryant and their prices are edging closer. lol I'd take the guy who already has shown what he can do in the Bigs. This always happens with these highly-touted prospects though.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I thought they were insane before this spring even came. It's hard for me to see how anybody buying this high may make any money back if it's an investment. Is there any more room for an investment at these prices to grow even if Bryant were to have a 15 year career and become a hall of famer?

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I thought they were insane before this spring even came. It's hard for me to see how anybody buying this high may make any money back if it's an investment. Is there any more room for an investment at these prices to grow even if Bryant were to have a 15 year career and become a hall of famer?

U see how much that Trout orange refractor went for? I'm not rooting against the kid but haven't people seen enough of these guys flame out yet?

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I don't feel the need to bring up Rick Asaadoorian, Travis Lee, Stephen Drew, Rick Ankiel, JD Drew, or any of the other "can't miss" prospects that missed in the past 20 years, so lets talk about the "can't miss" prospects who didn't miss. I'm trying to rack my brain for names but the last several big prospects that have panned out never sold at these prices before they were in the bigs (Trout, Kershaw, Pujols, Stanton). I keep hearing Trout as an example, but during his first season, you could get his Refractor RC/Auto for 10% of what Bryant is going for.

Can someone name ONE prospect in the last 20 years, whose cards sold for ridiculous amounts of money, then maintained or gained value once they hit the majors. One?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
This is why I wait for at least two seasons before putting real money into a player. The hype is gone, meaning a much lower buy-in, and I have a general sense of where they are heading. It's not foolproof, but it has done me well.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
This is why I wait for at least two seasons before putting real money into a player. The hype is gone, meaning a much lower buy-in, and I have a general sense of where they are heading. It's not foolproof, but it has done me well.

If you're not a flipper, thats a solid strategy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
If you're not a flipper, thats a solid strategy.

I do long flips. Like, buying Kershaw in 2010-12 when his stuff was cheap and selling in '14-'15 when it's peaking. It takes patience, but I'm always backlogged with great cards of great players instead of piles of worthless missed prospects. It blows my mind that you can buy like 10-15 good to great RC autos of a guy like McCutchen for what one Bryant that's not even rare costs. I take proven any day and rarely get burned.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I do long flips. Like, buying Kershaw in 2010-12 when his stuff was cheap and selling in '14-'15 when it's peaking. It takes patience, but I'm always backlogged with great cards of great players instead of piles of worthless missed prospects. It blows my mind that you can buy like 10-15 good to great RC autos of a guy like McCutchen for what one Bryant that's not even rare costs. I take proven any day and rarely get burned.

So do people who follow other strategies. Really depends on how well you play your strategy although any strategy leaves someone holding the bag.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
So do people who follow other strategies. Really depends on how well you play your strategy although any strategy leaves someone holding the bag.

There is still much more risk in prospect flipping than veteran flipping. I see the piles of failed stashes all over hobby boards. I'd rather have a pile of Anthony Rizzos sitting around than a pile of Jesus Monteros, if you catch my drift.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
There is still much more risk in prospect flipping than veteran flipping. I see the piles of failed stashes all over hobby boards. I'd rather have a pile of Anthony Rizzos sitting around than a pile of Jesus Monteros, if you catch my drift.

Its called prospecting for a reason. Thereare lots of levels to it. At the end of the day, someone always loses.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Its called prospecting for a reason. Thereare lots of levels to it. At the end of the day, someone always loses.

Basically that , don't be the last guy holding the stash when it starts the downward trajectory.

Ryan

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

I know what prospecting is. And not every prospect pans out. Not every prospect has that "amazing Spring Training or amazing first ML game". Not every prospect even makes the bigs. All I'm saying is, I set myself up to almost NEVER fail. It's okay if you can't grasp it.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I know what prospecting is. And not every prospect pans out. Not every prospect has that "amazing Spring Training or amazing first ML game". Not every prospect even makes the bigs. All I'm saying is, I set myself up to almost NEVER fail. It's okay if you can't grasp it.

oh yeah, i forgot what conversations are like with you, its either your way or its some kind of attack. your desire to always be right gets in your way of even seeing when someone isnt disagreeing with you.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
oh yeah, i forgot what conversations are like with you, its either your way or its some kind of attack. your desire to always be right gets in your way of even seeing when someone isnt disagreeing with you.

Haha, I was totally thinking this same exact thing reading the conversation.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Cubs fans are always optimists when we see potential. Then we get nervous when things start really going well. The cards will probably be sold at a loss in the midst of an MVP season because in our guts, we will expect a career ending injury. :benson:

Members online

Latest posts