Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FCB Group Wax Buy #3 - Input Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Hi All,

I am thinking about the next group buy for us, but we have an issue we need to discuss. BBCE is about dried up on the older boxes!!! A lot of what we got last couple of times is completely out. I even thought well, we can just add some other sports, but, he has no boxes of others sports. Just loose packs.

I have found another seller on eBay who looks pretty reputable and have had some discussion with him about bulk purchases. I can get us a 10% discount, but even with that, we are going to be paying more than we were paying BBCE.

For example, a box of 1985 Topps is $.60/pack more than BBCE. On the other hand, he has everything under the sun vintage baseball we could want.

Some products I'd like to get from him include:
82 & 83 Topps Cello
90 Leaf II ($2.25/pack)
92 Bowman ($4.25/pack)
93 Finest ($20/pack)

and there are many others we could chose from.

My questions are 1) Would you be okay with a slight per/pack price hike and 2) Would you be okay with a new source for the wax - the_dugout_unopened_wax is their user id on ebay. My thoughts are to stick with Steve at BBCE for the stuff they have that we want (typcial 82-85 Donruss, 85 Topps Box, 2001 Fleer Greats of the Game, etc.). But doing this also means dealing with two different shipping sources (though the ebay dude doesn't add any extra charge for shipping - it's already built into the price).

I'm open to other sources too if anyone knows of any! I haven't located any yet.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
Bill

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm probably going to duck out of #3 but have really enjoyed #1 and #2. The only thing I'd jump in on probably would be 1994 SP but we all know that probably isn't going to happen lol

Thanks again for running #1 and #2... super blast!

Aug 13, 2008
Consider me in on another go. I'd like a shot at some of the old stuff, but I do like late 90's early 00 (non-Fleer) stuff. That 93 finest would be pretty cool to have a go at.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I am a fan of the 93 finest too, but I do recall conversations about the product in the past and I believe the odds for pulling refractors are not that good and the rest of the product is pretty much worthless. I can't recall if there is 1 or 2 refractors in a box and I think I recall someone saying they run in clumps, like the same guy multiple times across boxes in a case, but I could be mistaken on that.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
I'm most likely in on the next one too. Would love to see some 98 metal (super cheap for a shot at a pmg), more 93 sp, and the upper deck with the 500 hr cards (also super cheap).

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
What year is the UD with POH HR cards? I'll see what we can find.

I'm most likely in on the next one too. Would love to see some 98 metal (super cheap for a shot at a pmg), more 93 sp, and the upper deck with the 500 hr cards (also super cheap).

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
What year is the UD with POH HR cards? I'll see what we can find.

They're in different products but the babe ruth is 1999 series 2, mantle is 1999 ovation, and Ted Williams is 1999 retro. I think the series two w the Ruth is 40 something a box which is cheap enough for a one in a bagillion shot at it.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Anyone else with any thoughts? [MENTION=5416]D-Lite[/MENTION] [MENTION=5245]trauty[/MENTION] [MENTION=7174]cubfanbudman[/MENTION] [MENTION=8797]RedSoxSoul[/MENTION] [MENTION=2458]Erich[/MENTION] [MENTION=2777]Todd44[/MENTION] [MENTION=3266]bcubs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2384]cubfan131[/MENTION] [MENTION=8906]RStadlerASU22[/MENTION] [MENTION=3275]Lancemountain[/MENTION]

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
Part of me is skeptical of getting it from another source. As was said above, wax is a very sketchy area...

I'd be interested in 85T again, 84Donruss, 82 Topps, Leaf II, all the obvious stuff I guess. I think I used up my luck on 78T, and it was damn pricey (thank you Turkey Red btw...)

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
I like the Metal idea. I'd be okay getting the wax from another source if you feel he's reputable. This of course is all dependent upon if there is a product offered that I would be interested in. With that said, thanks again for organizing these, Bill. It's been a blast!

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
My thought was to give the dugout a try and if we get nothing, we don't go back. The products I was considering from him are 93 finest box, 83 topps cello box, 82 topps cello box, 92 bowman box and a couple other 80s topps boxes.

Would you guys be open to trying those from him?

ronniedp23

Apr 13, 2011
The High Desert, California
Quick question: considered jumping in on the last one, but I really don't know much about the era... what sort of inserts/hits do you find in them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online