Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Deflated footballs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I was an admirer of the Patriots success and The hoodie as a coach until the first round of cheating came out. The hoodie should be suspended for at least a season. Cheaters however aren't punished in the NFL. Only pot smokers and players who commit domestic violence (as of this year).
You do realize they got punished for the first round of cheating? 500 k fine on Bill, 250 k fine on Pats, Lose of either 1st rounder or 2and3.

Thats pretty hefty punishment. Will be interesting to see what they say now.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Also I've been hearing something about the balls being checked at halftime, so if they were checked and found to be bad, were they refilled and then redeflated, or was nothing found at halftime....

This story just gets more and more confusing

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I say we get the Colts and Pats to replay the AFC Championship game on Sunday! There are two weeks and the championship game will be more entertaining than the Pro Bowl.

since you know the NFL won't do that, at least keep the Pats from drafting anyone in the next 2 years as a penalty so their team really gets stung for cheating.

I also feel there is a lot more cheating going on with the Patriots than what they have been caught doing. Thinking back to the graphic CBS displayed during the game, the Patriots have had a boatload of success on the field since Robert Kraft took over, more than I think any team would have in that amount of time. I can't help but think cheating that hasn't come to light under Kraft's ownership must be a big reason for that.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
And you think Belichick had no idea about the deflation? WOuld knowing about it and not stopping it be pretty much "covering it up"?

Again, I did not say a single word about BB.

What the heck is with you guys and assuming by talking about topic A, I am talking about topic B.

See my response to homerun...

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I smell a "Special Investigative Report" in the future...

270px-MythBusters_title_screen.jpg

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I smell a "Special Investigative Report" in the future...

270px-MythBusters_title_screen.jpg

I hear there is a ESPN Sports Science segment about it (heard it on ESPN radio so I didn't get to see the visuals or remember a lot of the facts. IIRC, other than for gripping the ball (QB or RB), the slight underinflation doesn't make a significant difference (given the same passing release speed or length of throw) to allow a wide receiver to have an advantage or for a defender to intercept or knock the ball away since I believe the difference between the two types of ball configurations was just one inch.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Only those used in the first.

If only the balls used in the first half were deflated the Pats still put up 28 points in the second half, and the Pats D still held the Colts to just 7 points all game....doesn't really seem like it affected the outcome of the game that much at all did it?

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I say we get the Colts and Pats to replay the AFC Championship game on Sunday!

As a Colts fan, I say we replay it on an old TECMO Bowl game...and Indianapolis gets Bo Jackson!

design-872-46-5-2013-06-24-12-45-27.jpg

(Seriously...I think that's the only way we'll EVER beat New England.)

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Cheating is cheating, regardless.

But until (or unless) they can prove who did it, you can't be calling for all types of punishment. (And I don't mean you as in, Adam, I mean it as a collective of the posters in this thread) If the NFL can prove Belichek (sp?) ordered the balls deflated, or Brady for that matter, sure, max penalty, but what if it was an over zealous ball boy/Pats fan that remembered hearing Brady liked deflated balls better, and no one on the team had any idea about it? Or what if the balls had some sort of defect, why 11 out of 12, why not all 12, or only a few to lessen the chance of getting caught...

Of course, these are all fantasy scenarios, but just because the Pats got caught cheating in the past doesn't mean they definitely were this time.....

Or does it?

A_Pharis

But until (or unless) they can prove who did it, you can't be calling for all types of punishment. (And I don't mean you as in, Adam, I mean it as a collective of the posters in this thread) If the NFL can prove Belichek (sp?) ordered the balls deflated, or Brady for that matter, sure, max penalty, but what if it was an over zealous ball boy/Pats fan that remembered hearing Brady liked deflated balls better, and no one on the team had any idea about it? Or what if the balls had some sort of defect, why 11 out of 12, why not all 12, or only a few to lessen the chance of getting caught...

Of course, these are all fantasy scenarios, but just because the Pats got caught cheating in the past doesn't mean they definitely were this time.....

Or does it?

The NFL would probably say that it means exactly that. I've already heard FOX sports trying to throw Brady under the bus by saying it would have likely been him that ordered the balls be deflated and not Belichick. I am very interested if that angle turns into something.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
cant believe the nfl will let this drag out til the superbowl.

in the year of the NFL league office screwing up, why not let it drag out to the SB? ;)

I just can't wait to see if Belicheck and Brady pay the fine to avoid media day because I can't imagine there will be many questions the media ask other than deflategate to those two.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
The Patriots has a track record of controversy and a lack of class as it pertains to the sport. This is just a skinny chapter in the Book of Belidick.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I tend to agree with what Aikman, Brunell, and Bettis said about this. And the ESPN scientific segment was really telling. The QB and RB knew exactly which ball was the 1 that was deflated in the segment. QB said he could grip it better, throw it better, and longer. Bettis said he could hold onto the ball better, and it would be harder to strip. It's just hard for me to beleive that Brady didn't notice the deflated balls, that he prefers.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
The NFL would probably say that it means exactly that. I've already heard FOX sports trying to throw Brady under the bus by saying it would have likely been him that ordered the balls be deflated and not Belichick. I am very interested if that angle turns into something.

I completely agree with what you've been saying, it wouldn't have affected the outcome on that day as the Pats killed it anyways but that is 0% of the argument here cheating is cheating. I have no idea if Belichick ordered this, it's very very possible he wasn't involved at all or maybe knew about it but didn't order them deflated. But Brady saying he had no idea the balls were deflated is outrageous to me, he at least had to have known they were deflated if not participated in it in some way. I mean it's the AFC championship game at home a top 3 all-time QB (maybe the best ever) doesn't check-out the game balls? Give me a break.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
it's also really hard to deflate a football without having the needle, so someone had to physically do it. There's no way they just all happened to lose air. I'm sure a lineman or a backup QB was happy to do it for the Pats. I doubt it would have changed the outcome, but there needs to be more control around the footballs. It's cheating plain and simple but I doubt the Pats get punished.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts