Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 UVA Baseball Step Up to the Plate Fundraiser Event was last night

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
MisterT invited me to last years event which was a blast so when he messaged me a few months ago about going this year i didnt hesitate to say yes.

The event is to raise money for the UVA baseball team. They do a silent auction and live auction however, this year i didnt buy anything. mistert did but ill let him share it. They also do guest speakers and this year they were UVA Alum Sean Doolittle and Red Sox manager John Farrell.

The weeks prior to the event i kept going back and forth on whether or not i wanted to take my Ryan Zimmerman game used bat that i bought from the Nats clubhouse last year. Zim missed last years event because of his honeymoon and from past experiences learned he doesn't sign much and from what i told he doesn't hang around at these events long. Also I didnt want to have to drag this thing all over the place.

At last years event i bought a game used UVA helmet signed by Zim. I recently found out after some DM Twitter exchanges with Derek Fisher that this was his helmet (it had a 23 sticker on the back). I wasnt fond of having Zims auto on someone elses game used helmet especially when Fisher should be a first round draft pick this year. So i decided to use a magic eraser and remove Zims signature.

In addition to the two items above, i ended up taking 3 WS baseballs, 3 OML baseballs, a 2005 AS baseball, and a few cards of players that i hoped were going to be there.

To start the evening, MisterT and i meet up at cavalier cards and bust some 2014 Topps (nothing great to note for either of us). We then head over to UVAs John Paul Jones Arena where the event was being held. We get into the lobby of the arena and there area already a bunch of people there (they said there were 1000 people there and that it was sold out). We meet up with one of MisterTs friends and son.

As they allow people to start heading in, the boys head straight to the line for autographs of the current UVA team. They have the whole team sitting at long tables to sign autographs for everyone. As the boys do that MisterT was able to grab us a decent table. I however got stuck behind a bunch of people so i ended up about 50-100 people behind everyone else i was with. They run the auto line until 6:30 and i was starting to sweat because there were still a bunch of people ahead of me in line. Fortunately i made it through with 5 minutes to spare. Along with the poster they give out i had an OMLB signed by the team (ranked 1 in the country going into the season). Also i had my game used helmet signed and a Connor Jones card signed. ticked that the Jones didnt stick well. I only rubbed down the bottom half and he signed it kind of high.

Team Ball

261bb7ac-e5b3-41c9-93af-87bace9064b0_zpsbcf727a9.jpg

Fisher Helmet

photo1_zps095a9a3f.jpg

Jones

photo2_zps4d0ae745.jpg

After i get through the line and back to our table, MisterT had already snagged Doolittle and Farrell. I was like damn i was stuck in that line forever, i hope i didnt miss my shot. They had just announced 5 minutes until they wanted everyone seated when i saw Mr. Farrell on the other side of the room. I grabbed my 2 WS balls (the third i gave to MisterT) and started towards him and got halfway there when i saw Ryan Zimmerman standing off to the side talking to a few people. I quickly turned around and went back to the table and grabbed my bat. Im always shy about asking for autographs and dont want to be rude and interrupt so i kind of stood a few feet away waiting for a good time to ask. Well another guy just went up to him and asked for an auto so i jumped in behind him. Zim didnt say anything but was nice enough to sign my bat for me which might add was the highlight of the night. I thanked him and wished him a great season and went back to the table with a big grin on my face.

photo1_zpse242f7bd.jpg

After showing off my bat for a minute i grabbed the two WS balls and headed back over to where Mr. Farrell was standing. They were going to tell everyone to take their seats at any minute so i wasn't sure if i was going to be able to make it in time. As i approached him, he was talking to his son but quickly saw me and was more than happy to sign both of my balls. I was super excited because one of those two balls would be finding a home with mojodan, shortly after i get back to my table they start the evenings events. I wont get into the speeches that were given but i will say i have a new found respect for the Red Sox and John Farrell after hearing some of the things he had to say.

x2

photo_zpsdb6ee081.jpg

After the evening ended and people were leaving, i made my move to get Sean Doolittle. I was standing next to him waiting for some people who were getting pictures and autographs. As i was standing there i spotted Billy Wagner who i planned on being my next target with my AS game baseball. It was finally my turn with Sean and he was a really nice guy, him and his girlfriend. I had an extra copy of his 2014 Topps card which he didnt have so i gave it to him. He was kind enough to sign a card and a ball for me.

photo3_zpsc7ecfeb2.jpg

9d42ee03-f8ea-4edc-8480-cf31935f23e6_zps3951edbc.jpg

After i was done with Sean i ran into MisterT and he had told me he saw Billy Wagner leave which i was a little disappointed about. I gathered up all my things and MisterT paid for his silent auction win and the night was over. It was such a fun night and i want to thank MisterT again for inviting me.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Dang! I don't know how I missed this the first time. It was really a great night. I will pic a pic of my silent auction win on here (probably next week). Thanks for posting this and thanks for coming! (and for the bump so I saw this thread)