Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The down side of Topps MLB Hologram stickers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Like most people, I was pretty excited when Topps started putting MLB hologram stickers on relics for authentication. And, for the most part, I still am. But, it does not always workout the way you may hope...

A few weeks ago I received a Steven Matz auto relic card. As you can tell from the pic, it was a redemption from a card I pulled last year.

Here is the card:
attachment.php

Not a lot of "wow" in the card, but for a base auto/relic, it is pretty nice. And, it is authenticated!

Anyway, I finally looked up the authentication today. It is hard to read in the scan, but it is JB316480. That code corresponds to the following:

attachment.php

So, I looked up the game.

attachment.php

Sweet! Mets won big. Matz had such an amazing 2015! He must have been a STUD in that game!

Here is the box score for the pitchers in the game:

attachment.php

Yep. You read that right. Matz did not play that.

Now, I know it is better that the hologram is there and that more authenticity is better than less. But, come on! He was a stud last year and those of use with Strata authentic relics can look fondly at our cards and recall how great he looked on the bench :benson:

Before anyone asks...the back of the card only says "Authentic Relic" not game worn or game used. So, they are not wrong. I was just hoping for something else. I should have known better.

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 110
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 110

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
At least he actually physically wore the jersey during a regular-season game. Some of those stickers show items coming from spring training games, or non-game events.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
At least he actually physically wore the jersey during a regular-season game. Some of those stickers show items coming from spring training games, or non-game events.

This is key. Especially for pitchers or utility/off the bench guys. It would be considered gu/game worn.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I mean, they don't get a New Jersey every game right? Maybe he wore it the game he pitched before that, and kept wearing it until Topps got hold of it...or am I being naive?

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I mean, they don't get a New Jersey every game right? Maybe he wore it the game he pitched before that, and kept wearing it until Topps got hold of it...or am I being naive?

You know...I have actually wondered about that. So many shirts go off to collectors, get ripped, stained badly, etc. I am sure that some get worn again and again. But I have to think that they get replaced with new ones very frequently. I just don't know.

Members online

Latest posts