Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Looks like the '98 Destination Cooperstown insert may be experiencing the same price spike that we recently saw with other similar, non-numbered, hard to find inserts from the late 90's (e.g., '97 A Cut Above, '96 Hitting Machine Gold Medallion).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1998-EX-2001-DESTINATION-COOPERSTOWN-7-/221531707562

Slight bummer as I've been looking to add this card to my PC and was planning to get involved in the bidding, but now will just have to wait until the price comes back down to its "true" market value.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Hey Magicpapa, I haven't had the chance to directly communicate with you on the boards yet, although I've enjoyed the cards and knowledge you've shared on these boards over the years. I want to introduce myself - my name is Rodney - and say hello to a fellow Griffey collector and well-respected member.

Question for you, as well as other members:

What is your favorite Griffey card you own and why?

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
My favorite is my 1998 Upper Deck Piece of the Action game jersey auto /24. I dreamed of pulling it from a pack as a kid, and it is also the first ever baseball game jersey auto.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Looks like the '98 Destination Cooperstown insert may be experiencing the same price spike that we recently saw with other similar, non-numbered, hard to find inserts from the late 90's (e.g., '97 A Cut Above, '96 Hitting Machine Gold Medallion).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1998-EX-2001-DESTINATION-COOPERSTOWN-7-/221531707562

Slight bummer as I've been looking to add this card to my PC and was planning to get involved in the bidding, but now will just have to wait until the price comes back down to its "true" market value.

Market value might be correct as that's the first one I've ever seen up for auction with the string still attatched. That's also why I never bid on then before.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
I've seen several with the string attached. I've sold a couple myself. The last one I sold was perhaps two years ago, unfortunately before the price spike. I think I sold it for $85 or so, haha.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
I've also seen a few surface on eBay with the string attached, within the past year.

Specifically, px23 listed a few earlier in the year, one with the string and one with the string cut, but with the card. Both sold for ~$105. Prior to those listings, I only one I can recall clearly was about 1 year ago with the string attached that was sold for right around $150.

However, the picture shown doesn't offer conclusive evidence that the string is attached. But let's say for this argument and to give the seller the benefit of the doubt that it is fully attached. If it stays at around $200, I think that's a fair value given that the string is attached and a fair reflection of the price uptick of 90's Griffey hard-to-finds (i.e., ~$100 more than the versions without the string, ~$50 more than the last one that sold a year ago with the string attached).

Where I disagree with you is a price point above $200 as I don't think that reflects the true market value of this card. I could very well be wrong and I'm not faulting/criticizing anyone who bids on it from here out - they may know about a trend that I don't see/am not aware of or may simply want it more than I do. But given where it is now and my reasons, I won't be bidding.

Last edited:

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
My favorite is my 1998 Upper Deck Piece of the Action game jersey auto /24. I dreamed of pulling it from a pack as a kid, and it is also the first ever baseball game jersey auto.

Very nice! A great combo of being an iconic and truly rare card.

Sevilst

Apr 6, 2014

Welcome! This is by far my favorite Griffey community out there and it's always nice to see new posters.

It's been tough for me over the years to narrow my favorites down to just one - I have five that I would place evenly on my all time personal favorite PC list but the first one that came to (at the moment) was the 2000 Ovation Game used Glove Auto Gold /25. No one "forgets" that Griffey Jr was a 10x gold glove winner but it's often overlooked by his talent at the plate. The man could play the field like no other as well as hit like no other during his time. This card is also the only Autographed game used glove card out there featuring him in a Mariners uniform. I was lucky enough to snag one with a hole and writing on it.

Knowing that he wore this on his hand is pretty crazy to me.

gTfy8LN.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Hey Magicpapa, I haven't had the chance to directly communicate with you on the boards yet, although I've enjoyed the cards and knowledge you've shared on these boards over the years. I want to introduce myself - my name is Rodney - and say hello to a fellow Griffey collector and well-respected member.

Pleasure to meet you tidel144, I havent really been active much of of late here on the Boards But I Can Tell You This is The Bestest Boards on the Planet I'm Sure You'll Love It Here ;)
as for a favorite Griffey card ............. I can't really play favorites with any in my collection, its just been a Honor to be a member of the Collecting World thru out the years.............So many Great People here have help contribute to my collection........... which holds So Much More Sentimental Value Than Monetary To Me........... Heres One That Took Me By Surprise, And I will Treasure Forever Tho
Upper-Deck-UDRAK-Ken-Griffey-Jr-Signing-Session-Michael-Doffing-Magicpapa_zps170de8f5.jpg

1997toppsMit1998StarsandSteel004_zpsb59d0b77.jpg

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

Danummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Fleer-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Very cool card! One of my favorites too.

Welcome! This is by far my favorite Griffey community out there and it's always nice to see new posters.

It's been tough for me over the years to narrow my favorites down to just one - I have five that I would place evenly on my all time personal favorite PC list but the first one that came to (at the moment) was the 2000 Ovation Game used Glove Auto Gold /25. No one "forgets" that Griffey Jr was a 10x gold glove winner but it's often overlooked by his talent at the plate. The man could play the field like no other as well as hit like no other during his time. This card is also the only Autographed game used glove card out there featuring him in a Mariners uniform. I was lucky enough to snag one with a hole and writing on it.

Knowing that he wore this on his hand is pretty crazy to me.

gTfy8LN.jpg

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014

Actually before the spike, this card would go for $200-$250 regularly. I'm curious as to what it brings tonight.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
Actually before the spike, this card would go for $200-$250 regularly. I'm curious as to what it brings tonight.

Goob, no, it wouldn't. I've owned and sold a couple of them in the last couple years. I had one buy it now at $150 for months and eventually sold for $100 or less.

Also, what happened to you? We had a deal in place and you disappeared.

murphy17

Nov 28, 2010
ebay is also screwed up at the moment. My account and several others have disappeared. I hope ebay gets the issue resolved quickly.

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I've seen the destination sell low at around $100 and high around $200. I remember being pissed I missed one at $130. Just like Jim Thome will attest, a card is worth what someone will pay. :)

I would post my favorite but apparently I've run out of photobucket lol

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts