Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

what is the untouchable part of your collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skippy100

Sep 21, 2015
Cool stuff... the time aspect is the exact same reason i cant get rid of my leaf r&s set

Same with me. My 1998 Leaf R&S set (baseball) with all SP's and RC's is untouchable, this time. I had previously sold a partial set back around 2002 to make some extra cash. Many years later when I started working full time, I started the set again, and this time I finished it. It took a while this time mostly because it was way after the set release, the SP's had to be tracked down, and mostly because I had a hard time finding an un-graded raw #314 Troy Glaus RC SP.

I wanted them all ungraded in the set, in pages. And back when Troy Glaus was "one of the the guys to get" in 1998 and 1999 most people had that card graded. And it's already an SP. I didn't want to have to over pay for a graded one only to have to bust it out of the holder.

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

Last edited:

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Same with me. My 1998 Leaf R&S set (baseball) with all SP's and RC's is untouchable, this time. I had previously sold a partial set back around 2002 to make some extra cash. Many years later when I started working full time, I started the set again, and this time I finished it. It took a while this time mostly because it was way after the set release, the SP's had to be tracked down, and mostly because I had a hard time finding an un-graded raw #314 Troy Glaus RC SP.

I wanted them all ungraded in the set, in pages. And back when Troy Glaus was "one of the the guys to get" in 1998 and 1999 most people had that card graded. And it's already an SP. I didn't want to have to over pay for a graded one only to have to bust it out of the holder.

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

Very cool stuff

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow, some pretty amazing and awesome stuff posted so far. I will have to think about what mine would be but it wouldn't stand up to some of these amazing pieces.

autocut

These are untouchable as they have sentimental value. I sent a letter to Monte Irvin many years ago to request a phone interview for my blog site. Here was the response.

1_monte.jpg

So I called him up and did the phone interview which was priceless. I made 8 custom cards and had all of this signed.

6xmonte.jpg

monteirvinauto.jpg

monteirvinsignedjersey.jpg

stokelydokely

Oct 21, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
I've gone through a few lulls over the course of my collecting, and at various times I've wondered "What could I get for this or that." One item that has never been part of that internal conversation is my 1994 Albany Yankees team yearbook, with the Jeter card inside and intact. It's not worth nearly as much as some of the gems in this thread, but like many of the other untouchables here, it has a ton of sentimental value.

In the early 90s, my family would go up to a couple Albany-Colonie Yankees games every year. I wouldn't see my first New York Yankees game until 1995, but from 1991 to 1994, the A/C Yankees were all the pro ball I needed. My dad's dad never had much time to spend with him when he was a kid, so I think this was, in some way, my dad's effort to do a really dad-like activity with his boys. I can't pinpoint when exactly I consciously became a serious Yankees fan, but it must have been during one of these trips to New York's Capital Region.

My memories of those days are sparse now, but the most vivid images I have are the Mr. Subb sandwiches we'd eat before the games; the sheer size and magnitude of Heritage Park to 9-year-old me; some guy reaching over my head to snatch the only foul ball that I've ever been within arm's reach of; and my dad, one beautiful day at the ballpark in 1994, flipping through the yearbook, pointing out the Jeter card, and saying "Ooo, try to keep that one in good condition, I think he's supposed to be pretty good!" Somehow, the yearbook (and card) survived the ballgame, the car trip home, and the following years of admiration.

The Albany-Colonie Yankees left the Capital Region after 1994 to become the Norwich Navigators. Heritage Park fell into disuse after the A/C Diamond Dogs left following the 2002 season; it was demolished in 2009. It's now a grassy lot, but nature and Google Maps give clues about the property's former life as a summer destination for fathers and sons and aspiring major leaguers.

Heritage Park.jpg

I've got a few wrinkled, fading A/C ticket stubs featuring fresh-faced Yankee hopefuls like Willie Smith and J.T. Snow; a creased, tack-holed pennant; and a chipping souvenir cup. Most pristine from those days are the handful of memories I hold onto, and that 1994 yearbook with the Jeter card it still holds.

*Also, my dad will still occasionally confuse Chuck Knoblauch, of the brief but ring-filled Yankees tenure, with Jay Knoblauh, Yankees farmhand and familiar face of the 1991-92 A/C Yankees seasons.

Attachments

• Heritage Park.jpg
    Heritage Park.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 21

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I've gone through a few lulls over the course of my collecting, and at various times I've wondered "What could I get for this or that." One item that has never been part of that internal conversation is my 1994 Albany Yankees team yearbook, with the Jeter card inside and intact. It's not worth nearly as much as some of the gems in this thread, but like many of the other untouchables here, it has a ton of sentimental value.

In the early 90s, my family would go up to a couple Albany-Colonie Yankees games every year. I wouldn't see my first New York Yankees game until 1995, but from 1991 to 1994, the A/C Yankees were all the pro ball I needed. My dad's dad never had much time to spend with him when he was a kid, so I think this was, in some way, my dad's effort to do a really dad-like activity with his boys. I can't pinpoint when exactly I consciously became a serious Yankees fan, but it must have been during one of these trips to New York's Capital Region.

My memories of those days are sparse now, but the most vivid images I have are the Mr. Subb sandwiches we'd eat before the games; the sheer size and magnitude of Heritage Park to 9-year-old me; some guy reaching over my head to snatch the only foul ball that I've ever been within arm's reach of; and my dad, one beautiful day at the ballpark in 1994, flipping through the yearbook, pointing out the Jeter card, and saying "Ooo, try to keep that one in good condition, I think he's supposed to be pretty good!" Somehow, the yearbook (and card) survived the ballgame, the car trip home, and the following years of admiration.

The Albany-Colonie Yankees left the Capital Region after 1994 to become the Norwich Navigators. Heritage Park fell into disuse after the A/C Diamond Dogs left following the 2002 season; it was demolished in 2009. It's now a grassy lot, but nature and Google Maps give clues about the property's former life as a summer destination for fathers and sons and aspiring major leaguers.

View attachment 58037

I've got a few wrinkled, fading A/C ticket stubs featuring fresh-faced Yankee hopefuls like Willie Smith and J.T. Snow; a creased, tack-holed pennant; and a chipping souvenir cup. Most pristine from those days are the handful of memories I hold onto, and that 1994 yearbook with the Jeter card it still holds.

*Also, my dad will still occasionally confuse Chuck Knoblauch, of the brief but ring-filled Yankees tenure, with Jay Knoblauh, Yankees farmhand and familiar face of the 1991-92 A/C Yankees seasons.

Very cool story man, thanks for sharing

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I've got a number of things I wouldn't get rid of. Here's just a few. My dad gave me what was left of his card collection, included was a '65 Willie Mays and a binder of 1974 Topps cards. Willie Mays was his favorite player growing up and at one time he had all of his Topps cards, until his basement flooded and ruined his whole card collection. This one survived because it was thumb tacked to his peg board in his room. The binder of '74's he received as a wedding present from my mom the year they got married.

I also have the front page of the Chicago Sun from September 30, 1945, the last time the Cubs won the pennant.
DSC06389.JPG

16x20 of Willie Mays making "The Catch" from the '54 World Series.
Willie%20Mays%20auto.JPG

I've got a number of cards I wouldn't get ride of.
Ernie%20Banks%201954%20PSA%204.jpg

Roberto%20Clemente%201955%20Topps%20PSA%205.jpg

Nolan%20Ryan%201968%20PSA%204.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I've got a number of things I wouldn't get rid of. Here's just a few. My dad gave me what was left of his card collection, included was a '65 Willie Mays and a binder of 1974 Topps cards. Willie Mays was his favorite player growing up and at one time he had all of his Topps cards, until his basement flooded and ruined his whole card collection. This one survived because it was thumb tacked to his peg board in his room. The binder of '74's he received as a wedding present from my mom the year they got married.

I also have the front page of the Chicago Sun from September 30, 1945, the last time the Cubs won the pennant.
DSC06389.JPG

16x20 of Willie Mays making "The Catch" from the '54 World Series.
Willie%20Mays%20auto.JPG

I've got a number of cards I wouldn't get ride of.
Ernie%20Banks%201954%20PSA%204.jpg

Roberto%20Clemente%201955%20Topps%20PSA%205.jpg

Nolan%20Ryan%201968%20PSA%204.jpg

Those are nice cards, but the "memory" cards are the best!
DANNY

Members online

Latest posts