Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jacoby Ellsbury Signs a 7-Year/$153M Deal With the Yankees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
way too much $$ and yrs for him.
He doesn't really have any power and what goes w/ age...his legs. Not the smartest move by the yanks but I wish him luck in pinstripes.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Scott, he would have been stupid not to accept that offer. I HATE to see him go to the Yanks but that is a LOTTT of money, much more than any other team was willing to spend on him IMO. Who knows if we would have won in 07' and 13' without him....

The silver lining is that we officially get our draft pick for him, now maybe the Yanks can sign Stephen Drew?? lol....

.......of course it's all about the money. Hope Lester drills him.......Glad there are players like Pedroia who are dirt dogs, loyal and talented.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
.......of course it's all about the money. Hope Lester drills him.......Glad there are players like Pedroia who are dirt dogs, loyal and talented.
But you shouldn't really be surprised by this? We all saw it coming, we KNEW Ellsbury/Boras was going to go for the most money they could get. We just didn't think it would be the Yankees...

Agree about Pedroia, though. :D

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
But you shouldn't really be surprised by this? We all saw it coming, we KNEW Ellsbury/Boras was going to go for the most money they could get. We just didn't think it would be the Yankees...

Agree about Pedroia, though. :D

......figured it would be the Mariners. Boggs, Clemens, Damon, Ellsbury- all traitors.......any one I am missing? (I said this before the NESN guys did ;))

Last edited:

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
He doesn't really have any power and what goes w/ age...his legs. Not the smartest move by the yanks but I wish him luck in pinstripes.
But I don't think it's impossible for him to hit 15-20 HRs/year at that park, he's got pop he just hit a lot of line drives this year instead of deep fly balls. I don't think it's a huge overpay for the type of player Ellsbury is.

Seems like Red Sox fans are trying their damnedest to find the most negative aspects of this deal. Fact of the matter is, it's a good signing for the Yankees. Sure it's a lot of money but that doesn't matter too much to them. They got arguably the best overall player in the FA market, someone who is going to solidify the leadoff spot and give them a legitimate speed threat to go along with Gardner. Essentially they pushed all of their chips into the pile and hope they can win it all within the next handful of years.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Ahh just thought of something....

How many SB is Jacoby going to have against the Sox with AJ behind the dish? Oy, we should have definitely traded for Hanigan.......

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Ahh just thought of something....

How many SB is Jacoby going to have against the Sox with AJ behind the dish? Oy, we should have definitely traded for Hanigan.......

I'm going to miss seeing Saltalamacchia throw balls into left field.

(Interesting note, Chrome tries to correct Saltalamacchia into Whatchamacallit)

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
I'm going to miss seeing Saltalamacchia throw balls into left field.

(Interesting note, Chrome tries to correct Saltalamacchia into Whatchamacallit)
Very fitting as any player who goes to Miami become Whatchamacallits, LMAO!

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I was just thinking of Ellsbury as yet another former Red Sox player headed to the hated Yankees.Is Youkilis still with the Yankees too?

I knew Ellsbury was a good player, but didn't think he was *that* good.
He's a pretty solid player. Especially in NY. I expect 20 hrs and him and Gardner could potentially steal 120 or more bases. I like the signing as 7 years for 153 isn't that much for someone like Jacoby.
Way too much money and too many years for Ellsbury.
He had one great year in 2011, a few good years and a couple of injury-plagued years.
He's a less-talented version of Grady Sizemore, injuries included.
He's a more talented version. Similar power but more speed. I'll take Ellsbury over Sizemore every day and twice on sunday.
I would expect 20 hrs at least in that park. I think its a very smart move. Making your rivals weaker while forming one of the fastest outfields in baseball along with a fantastic 1-2 Punch at the top of the lineup for about market value.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
He's a more talented version. Similar power but more speed. I'll take Ellsbury over Sizemore every day and twice on sunday.

Amen. I've watched him for the past several years, he is a huge game changer. Yankee fans will love him. In that park he will be a 15-20 HR hitter, 50+ SBs, .300BA/.360OBP, GG defense....what's not to like? Later in the deal when he starts to lose his speed I assume he will start hitting for more power, and still steal at least 20 bags.

I actually can't wait to see how our pitchers fare against Ellsbury, should be interesting.

Now as for the Yankees....what are you guys going to do about pitching? What is the starting rotation going to be?

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Amen. I've watched him for the past several years, he is a huge game changer. Yankee fans will love him. In that park he will be a 15-20 HR hitter, 50+ SBs, .300BA/.360OBP, GG defense....what's not to like? Later in the deal when he starts to lose his speed I assume he will start hitting for more power, and still steal at least 20 bags.

I actually can't wait to see how our pitchers fare against Ellsbury, should be interesting.

Now as for the Yankees....what are you guys going to do about pitching? What is the starting rotation going to be?
I think the SP rests on Kuroda. If he accepts the offer they have Kuroda, Sabathia, Nova, Pineda, Phelps. If Tanaka is posted then Tanaka is 4 and Pineda and Phelps battle for 5.

If Kuroda declines and Tanaka isn't posted then I think the Yanks could make a trade with Gardner for a pitcher or go after try to have a rotation of Sabathia/Nova/Pineda/Phelps/One more.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
and you are happy w/ that rotation? OUCH! The yankees need to pay more attention to starting pitching and figure out who's gonna be closing out their games.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
and you are happy w/ that rotation? OUCH! The yankees need to pay more attention to starting pitching and figure out who's gonna be closing out their games.

Lets see the rotations I said:
Kuroda/Sabathia/Nova/Tanaka/Pineda or Phelps
That rotation is very very good.

Sabathia/Nova/Tanaka/Pineda or Phelps or Warren maybe a low end FA signing. If Kuroda doesn't come back and then I'd be scared.

Thats why I said it rests on Kurodas decision.

I don't think they will have a huge problem with the Sox offense anyways ;) Lost a lot of bats.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire

Agree. This year is a big concern.

Lets see the rotations I said:
Kuroda/Sabathia/Nova/Tanaka/Pineda or Phelps
That rotation is very very good.

Sabathia/Nova/Tanaka/Pineda or Phelps or Warren maybe a low end FA signing. If Kuroda doesn't come back and then I'd be scared.

Thats why I said it rests on Kurodas decision.

I don't think they will have a huge problem with the Sox offense anyways Lost a lot of bats.

Assuming

1. they all stay healthy
2. Kurodo re-signs (I know you said that)
3. CC is his back to what he was

Last edited:

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I think the Yanks should change their name to Drain-O. All the money they spend and they will still be sucking hind *** to the Rays. Sorry but that's the gist of it.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
Agree. This year is a big concern.

Assuming

1. they all stay healthy
2. Kurodo re-signs (I know you said that)
3. CC is his back to what he was
I think CC will be okay. Clearly not the 20 win 3.1 era guy anymore but hopefully 15-18 wins with a 3.3-3.4 would be fine with me. I think Pineda will be real good and I do like Phelps. I think that there's no way they don't bring in one or two more FA/Trade starters.
I think the Yanks should change their name to Drain-O. All the money they spend and they will still be sucking hind *** to the Rays. Sorry but that's the gist of it.

Thats clearly your opinion. You don't want Jacoby playing for your team at age 30? Yes they overpay at the backend of these deals but as of right now where McCann and Ellsbury are both playing at high levels why would you not want this? Short term this makes the Yanks lineup very strong if they keep Gardy as well and are able to bring back Cano which I think will happen.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Youkilis, but he only played like 30 games in NY.

...don't count that since he was traded first to WS. I suppose that makes Clemens less of a traitor since he was with the Blue Jays prior to the Yankees. Boggs and Damon signed directly with Yanks as free agents

Babe Ruth...:cool:

....via a "business deal" so I do not consider him a traitor.

The Sox have never signed a big free agent from the Yankees.

A lot of money on the back end- these deals have not worked so well for the Yankees of late.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Does Cano sign for a number closer to the Yanks offer since he sees them adding complimentary pieces?

Add a bit of Pitching and they are right in the AL East discussion.

Members online

Latest posts