Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Bunt Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Someone in another thread mentioned how an Odor/Bautista punch card would never get approved by the MLBPA. It got me wondering about the process for players getting cards. If a player is under contract with Topps, can they be included in any Topps product? Does the player or PA have to approve the card in terms of the theme, picture used, etc?

In particular, I wondered why John Olerud has never had a Bunt card. Not enough perceived hobby interest in him? Or might he have some kind of contract stipulation that excludes digital cards (since he has been in actual card releases since Bunt started)?

Sent from my Android using the Freedom Cardboard app.

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
It got me wondering about the process for players getting cards. If a player is under contract with Topps, can they be included in any Topps product? Does the player or PA have to approve the card in terms of the theme, picture used, etc?

In particular, I wondered why John Olerud has never had a Bunt card.

Going by stuff Panini has blogged about in the past, it seems like all licensees get to review and sign off on the cards that card manufacturers make. I've seen photos of proof sheets/binders of proof sheets with areas for licensee approval signoff.

For a company that releases things by signing with a player's estate or on a player-by-player basis, I'm sure the legalese allows that player or their estate to review and approve the cards before they are printed/distributed. I'd have to think the Babe Ruth estate had to review and approve all cards in leaf's recent Babe Ruth Collection release. You'd certainly not want a card of Babe Ruth chugging on alcohol while cruising around in his Model T! ;)

I wish there was a Bautista/Odor card released, but you can see why MLB and/or MLBPA wouldn't want that because it's unacceptable behavior plus bad PR for the league and its players even though I'm sensing that fans and non-baseball fans who saw the clip on the news think it was a cool incident.

who is john olerud? ;) I'm guessing outside of Fan Favorites or High Tek or Archives, not much clamor for card to be made of him. If he were a HOF, he would get a boatload of new cards.

Last edited:

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Killin me with these fires! If anyone has any Conforto, Syndergaard or Matz, I'd be interested...

No Jays included in Fire yet, but if there are any in the last wave I'll be buying a few packs to test my luck. Waiting also for a Jay to show up in the 65 series. I'll keep you in mind if I get any Mets.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
No Jays included in Fire yet, but if there are any in the last wave I'll be buying a few packs to test my luck. Waiting also for a Jay to show up in the 65 series. I'll keep you in mind if I get any Mets.

Every day a new Met is released, killing me, luckily I've been doing well on the cross trading front

nofrills

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Who do my DeGrom's have this yellow lower right corner? I don't see it on any other cards...
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-21-08-35-40.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-21-08-35-40.png
    382.3 KB · Views: 41

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Who do my DeGrom's have this yellow lower right corner? I don't see it on any other cards...
attachment.php

I think it is SUPPOSED to mean that pitcher is scheduled to start that day. The problem is Bunt hasn't been accurate with that since the first week of the season so you can't trust that at all. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's it. It only shows up on pitchers

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I think it is SUPPOSED to mean that pitcher is scheduled to start that day. The problem is Bunt hasn't been accurate with that since the first week of the season so you can't trust that at all. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's it. It only shows up on pitchers

That's what it used to be, but they've been stuck on deGrom for a while

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
attachment.php

I've always thought it means the player is currently playing. It's for pitchers and hitters.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Hmm. I don't think I've ever seen it on a hitter but it's possible it was meant to be. Seems completely random now though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Just hit the Griffey, Cano dual Sig. I'm pretty stoked

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Won the Todd Frazier in the First Class Challenge. Do you play this?

nope. I usually don't do well enough in daily points to have a shot at winning anything but the coins and the coins you win are only a fraction of the coins it costs to play so you end up losing coins playing the contest.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I finished 8th in yesterday's pay daily fantasy contest...got a purple Henry Urrutia...why did I waste 10,000 coins for that....

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I finished 8th in yesterday's pay daily fantasy contest...got a purple Henry Urrutia...why did I waste 10,000 coins for that....

Sorry to hear, that's what I'm afraid of. I actually hadn't paid close attention and didn't realize the NL/AL Only contests went up form 3500 to 10k recently either. Kind of a wash at that point. Sucks because I would think 5k is more than reasonable and they'd still get plenty of their free coins back!

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Sorry to hear, that's what I'm afraid of. I actually hadn't paid close attention and didn't realize the NL/AL Only contests went up form 3500 to 10k recently either. Kind of a wash at that point. Sucks because I would think 5k is more than reasonable and they'd still get plenty of their free coins back!

Did you recently level up? I think the contests go up in price with your level, but I'm not sure...but I am sure I won't play those pay contests again until they change the pay outs

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City

I just noticed this too. For 3,500 it was good to get a pack and most of the time recently I was getting a teal, but for 10k I don't think I'll be playing this anymore.

Members online

Latest posts