Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Seeking help creating/finding spreadsheets of rosters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
Hey everyone,
I think I made a post like this last year, but I'll try again. Every year a friend and I go to Spring Training in AZ. I come back with a little over 100 signed rookie cards for my collection. Anyway, to prepare for the trip I:
  1. put together rosters of the teams we will see
  2. comb through my ~5,000-8,000 rookie cards to pull out rookie cards of the guys on the rosters
  3. decide how much of a sportslots.com/COMC/eBay order I want to put in so that I have cards of most/all of he guys I would want to add to my collection
  4. use photo corners to add all my pulled cards to notebooks separated by team and put in alphabetical order

Arguably, the biggest hassle each year is getting team rosters. I have my cards organized, roughly, by alphabet. I like to be able to have a spreadsheet of ALL of the guys on all the different team rosters so that I can sort by last name and pull my cards as I go through the alphabet. But such a spreadsheet doesn't exist, as far as I can tell. And each year I have to make one myself. I copy and paste the different rosters I find. I usually just put on the 40 man rosters, the non-roster invites, the coaches, and most/all of the team's top prospects. I don't get much more detailed than that. Each year I end up with something like this:
Making that spreadsheet takes a lot of time. Lots of clicking and copying and pasting. And, sometimes, I end up writing names in the spreadsheet because the top prospect information I find isn't in spreadsheet/table form. On top of that, I sometimes need to use spreadsheet formulas to separate cells from having an entire name to split into a first name and a last name... It's not the most enjoyable part of my hobby. Even when I do all this I'm sure i make mistakes and leave people off the list or mis label a player.

Any advice? Are there more accurate/efficient ways of doing what I do each year?

Thanks,
Anthony

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
That might be useful, thanks!

Why don't you you just the day before you visit a teams complex get the official roster from the team ? They are are updated every so often thru the week as players are released. They have versions in both alphabetically and numerical order. For example, I will go to the Pirates complex the day before and ask them roster. That night I will organized the cards in my book.

Members online