Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Night Crew * August 2018 * The Dog Days of Summer *

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yah, vintage cards are off the hook. What sorta books?

Very nice, congrats!! :)

I picked up 2 for my vintage collection (books) that were a solid price. From time to time I still consider doing a little vintage baseball collection but idk, kind of missed the boat price-wise.... the books are a better bargain.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Yah, vintage cards are off the hook. What sorta books?

This 1941 beauty for under 20shipped, if that upper right nibble wasn't there it probably would have been quadruple price.

https://d3525k1ryd2155.cloudfront.net/h/206/030/1091030206.0.x.jpg

1939... these ones are never reprinted and have an update every 7 years for 15 times. Getting the old version shows the evolution of theory.
...also under 20. This one should be much much higher. There's probably a problem with it that they're not saying. Coming from England so we will have to be in suspense for a while.

https://d3525k1ryd2155.cloudfront.net/h/496/664/1127664496.0.x.jpg

Attachments

• 1127664496.0.x.jpg
    1127664496.0.x.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 3

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I was never any damn good at it and never patient or smart enough to become so...

This is how I would describe my gameplay these days :lol: The more learn the more you realize how terrible you are. I guess its true with anything though.

As for starting out, everyone sucks ass. Its a brutal brutal game where everyone gets hazed for a few years before kinda sorta sucking a little less. I dont even want to become a grandmaster, just become something other than a grandmasterbater. :| I am getting close my friends!

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
The NL MVP is a close one and I believe it's a five horse race at this point with Matt Carpenter in the lead. IMO the other four top contenders are: Goldschmidt, Arenado, Baez & Freeman (in no particular order except for Freeman being last)

Matt Carpenter: .273 avg 34 HR 71 RBI .963 OPS 2 SB 72 XBH (5.2 WAR)
Javier Baez: .296 avg 28 HR 97 RBI .903 OPS 21 SB 70 XBH (5.4 WAR)
Paul Goldschmidt: .294 avg 30 HR 76 RBI .947 OPS 5 SB 61 XBH (5.0 WAR)
Nolan Arenado: .311 avg 31 HR 90 RBI .973 OPS 2 SB 60 XBH (5.2 WAR)
Freddie Freeman: .313 avg 20 HR 78 RBI .912 OPS 8 SB 58 XBH (5.3 WAR)

In all honesty I think Freeman is barely hanging in there since his prolonged slump. He's kept his batting average & WAR up enough to still qualify but unless he finds his power stroke again in the final weeks and goes on a tear, he'll likely fall out of the MVP race. Arenado has some great numbers but as you all know, they are inflated playing half his games in Coors Field. In order for him to win an MVP awards his offensive numbers will have to be tremendously higher than any other player, which BTW I feel is a shame because his defense is soooo good I think it makes up for the inflated offensive numbers...but voters don't seem to share this opinion.

At the moment all of these players are on contending teams but if any of them end up on a team that doesn't make it to the postseason, they'll unlikely finish in 1st.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Hard to vote against carpenter, i'd put Goldy second, you can say it about any of those five players but take goldschmidt off Arizona and they are fourth in that division at best.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Its always hard to predict because there have been times where a 9WAR player has lost to a 4WAR player. The media will vote for their own interests.... in this case the top storyline after the season ends is where Bryce Harper will go. Therefore he should be in the running still as the media would love to hang off his nuts.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
If the nats made a miraculous run to the playoffs I'd vote him in, he's been really strong since the break, but his team is dead in the water so the valuable part it out.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
If the nats made a miraculous run to the playoffs I'd vote him in, he's been really strong since the break, but his team is dead in the water so the valuable part it out.

Yeah I guess he could still win without shenanigans if he gets over 40HR and 120BB. he is climbing the avg daily it seems. One thing Ill say about his shtty Dwar is that shouldnt be his fault. He has played waaay too many games in CF which is clearly a spot he doesnt belong. It was a stupidly built team. Mitch Hanigers Dwar went backward a little bit this year too for the same problem.

Cool. An interesting hobby. I was never any damn good at it and never patient or smart enough to become so...

I was reading another old one today and found a gem of a line "the isolated pawn must be kept under lock and key like a criminal who should be either given a life sentence or executed... better yet, if we are manly enough we will give him a life sentence AND execute him at a moment of our convenience" LOOOOOOOOOL!!! :lol: people underestimate the entertainment value of these old fashioned books.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well that is just about the most interesting thing I have read about chess, probably ever. People don't write like that anymore.

I was reading another old one today and found a gem of a line "the isolated pawn must be kept under lock and key like a criminal who should be either given a life sentence or executed... better yet, if we are manly enough we will give him a life sentence AND execute him at a moment of our convenience" LOOOOOOOOOL!!! :lol: people underestimate the entertainment value of these old fashioned books.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Well that is just about the most interesting thing I have read about chess, probably ever. People don't write like that anymore.

This was also the semi censored version (original was in another language and the translator chose not to include certain controversial passages) I hear that there was a passage where he asks if you believe in a god and if not then he will be your god and you can pray right now!!!

There was another line where he says he invented the open file. All this means in chess is there is a line where neither side has pawns left. So he is saying he "invented" the concept of no pawns. ... simply amazing. :lol:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
fck the Cubs, fck their dick pump celebration , fck their duck duck goose playing bullpen, and fck their goat (literally, I hear their **** is divine ;) )

whoever wins NL MVP would be about 6th in the AL, so maybe they should win a special olympic medal too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts