Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

FCB with an online price guide? NO WAI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Will the "Buy on Ebay" links become more descriptive?

For instance, if I wanted to buy an Eddie Rosario base chrome auto, I'd probably search "Eddie Rosario bowman chrome (auto, autograph, au)", rather than simply Eddie Rosario.

I understand you are trying to promote more spending, but the "Buy on Ebay" almost becomes irrelevant if every single 2012 Bowman price of Eddie Rosario provides me with the same basic "Eddie Rosario" result when searched on Ebay.

JMO. Overall, I really like the concept and it should be a great way to gauge prices.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
This application is extremely experimental. Things will change massively.

That is what I assumed. Just figured that I would provide some feedback.

I'd add more, but I'll wait until more changes are made.

Cool stuff!

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Having a true Price guide would seperate FCB from every other message board, assuming no one else has or is attempting this. I like it.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
[MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] - AWESOME job on the practice run! I really enjoy seeing the "Total Sales" column for print run purposes on non serial numbered cards. For example: When you look at 2012 Allen & Ginter base autos you can clearly see which ones are SP'd or not and have to guess-timate from the price at auction/BIN :)

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
This is a fantastic idea! I see you list the average sales price, which is a great guide to the mean. Is there anyway to have your program calculate a standard deviation (SD) as well? This may sound silly to someone who isn't familiar with the statistic but it's a great way to gauge where the majority of the items are selling. One standard deviation tells you where roughly 68% of the sales are taking place and two SDs tells you where 95% of the sales are taking place. So if the mean sale price is $10 and the SD is $3, that tells you that 68% of the sales are between $7 and $13 and that 95% of the sales are between $4 and $16. It also tells you that another 5% of the sales are outside this range. So if you are trying to sell a card quickly, you might list it for $7 knowing that it's competively priced, but if you have patience and aren't in a rush, you might list it at say $18 and see if someone bites. You know it's high, but still within striking distance of recent sales and you'd know that say $25 or $30 is probably way too high. You can't figure any of this out with just a mean. It just gives you average, but SD will give us the knowledge of where the bulk of the sales are taking place around that mean.

Oh wow - I just went a little deeper into it and the guide actually lists all the sales of the items that are included in the average price, along with a min and max for the item! That's crazy! You must be easily able to add the SD to the box with the min and max $. It's certainly not necessary given all the data that is there, but I know I would still find it helpful.

That said, this is some super sick work bradical! Nice job!!!

Last edited:

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
This is a fantastic idea! I see you list the average sales price, which is a great guide to the mean. Is there anyway to have your program calculate a standard deviation (SD) as well? This may sound silly to someone who isn't familiar with the statistic but it's a great way to gauge where the majority of the items are selling. One standard deviation tells you where roughly 68% of the sales are taking place and two SDs tells you where 95% of the sales are taking place. So if the mean sale price is $10 and the SD is $3, that tells you that 68% of the sales are between $7 and $13 and that 95% of the sales are between $4 and $16. It also tells you that another 5% of the sales are outside this range. So if you are trying to sell a card quickly, you might list it for $7 knowing that it's competively priced, but if you have patience and aren't in a rush, you might list it at say $18 and see if someone bites. You know it's high, but still within striking distance of recent sales and you'd know that say $25 or $30 is probably way too high. You can't figure any of this out with just a mean. It just gives you average, but SD will give us the knowledge of where the bulk of the sales are taking place around that mean.

Oh wow - I just went a little deeper into it and the guide actually lists all the sales of the items that are included in the average price, along with a min and max for the item! That's crazy! You must be easily able to add the SD to the box with the min and max $. It's certainly not necessary given all the data that is there, but I know I would still find it helpful.

That said, this is some super sick work bradical! Nice job!!!

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH

We don't be doin no math in here.

We don't like your kind round here mr bill!

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
ha ha - for sure! I can see that you don't really need it given the 10 different ways the data is broken down, which is FANTASTIC!

Only other thought - any way to make it so we can sort on the various columns? For instance, I'd like to see the mean sales prices, lo to high so I know who is selling well and who sucks.

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH

We don't be doin no math in here.

We don't like your kind round here mr bill!

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
If this remains constant, current, and free, it is going to be huge for the online collecting community.