Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CBSsports Jon Heyman reports Upton to Atlanta a done DEAL! Show'em if you gottem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtrinaldi

May 31, 2012
Nats fans here are not happy with this deal either. At least the NL East has a bye on its schedule in the form of the Marlins so the Wild Card should come out of here again.
The Mets are also a "Bye" as well. They have Wright, and not much else.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Does Arizona know something that no one else does? From an outsiders perspective it seems like an absolute steal for the Braves.

Perhaps this..?

"According to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, the Diamondbacks will package Nick Ahmed with a pitching prospect and pursue a trade for the Tigers' Rick Porcello.The Diamondbacks are getting Ahmed from the Braves in the seven-player Justin Upton trade, which should be finalized early next week. A second-round pick in 2011, Ahmed batted .269/.337/.391 with six home runs, 49 RBI and 40 stolen bases over 130 games last season for High-A Lynchburg. He is a very rangy defender."

Eh. I don't know.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Uptons have always been overhyped by some. The trade seems fair to me - although I like Prado.

230 Justin Upton.jpg

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Hard day to remain a dbags fan after this one

smh

Amen my friend. I'm done with the team for the time being. I have been a fan since I was 8 (in 1998) and am now 23. I've stuck with the team through everything, as any fan would. I don't mind losing or poor seasons, every team has to go through them. But to support a backwards thinking organization that clearly has no plan and is just trading people due to personal grudges is ridiculous. It's one thing to want to trade a player, but when you make it clear you want someone gone and lower his value so that every other GM in the league knows this (not just Upton, but Bauer as well), how can you expect to get fair value in return?

This is easily one of the most incompetent, backwards thinking organizations in professional sports right now, and I know I'm not alone in jumping ship right now. I'll probably catch a game now and then on TV to see the players I still enjoy and respect (until they're traded for spare parts as well), but I can't imagine spending another cent on anything related to this organization. Even the Coyotes, who have no owner and no respect, have a GM that puts together a solid team year after year and puts a product out that people enjoy watching. When an entirely new management group is in place with a real plan, we can talk again.

It's really a sad day for me personally, and to see what Kevin Towers and his lackeys have done to this team in the span of a couple months is just sad. I'm sure some people may consider this an overreaction, but it's just too much to deal with.

On a related note, I'm so happy for Justin that he gets to play with his brother and in an organization that will support him. I can't wait to see him mash again and absolutely shame the Diamondbacks even more.

chuckbartowski

Jan 2, 2009
I know DBack fans aren't happy right now, but I think when you see Prado play for a full season you'll be happier. I'm happy the Braves got Upton, but Prado will be missed. Dude can play every position. I'm mostly happy because Upton and Johnson are under control for 3+ seasons and Prado is a free agent after this season (although it sounds like the DBacks are going to sign him to an extension).

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Amen my friend. I'm done with the team for the time being. I have been a fan since I was 8 (in 1998) and am now 23. I've stuck with the team through everything, as any fan would. I don't mind losing or poor seasons, every team has to go through them. But to support a backwards thinking organization that clearly has no plan and is just trading people due to personal grudges is ridiculous. It's one thing to want to trade a player, but when you make it clear you want someone gone and lower his value so that every other GM in the league knows this (not just Upton, but Bauer as well), how can you expect to get fair value in return?

This is easily one of the most incompetent, backwards thinking organizations in professional sports right now, and I know I'm not alone in jumping ship right now. I'll probably catch a game now and then on TV to see the players I still enjoy and respect (until they're traded for spare parts as well), but I can't imagine spending another cent on anything related to this organization. Even the Coyotes, who have no owner and no respect, have a GM that puts together a solid team year after year and puts a product out that people enjoy watching. When an entirely new management group is in place with a real plan, we can talk again.

It's really a sad day for me personally, and to see what Kevin Towers and his lackeys have done to this team in the span of a couple months is just sad. I'm sure some people may consider this an overreaction, but it's just too much to deal with.

On a related note, I'm so happy for Justin that he gets to play with his brother and in an organization that will support him. I can't wait to see him mash again and absolutely shame the Diamondbacks even more.

A lot of it was Kirk Gibson. He thought Chris Young and Justin Upton played unspired and were not grinders when it came to playing hurt.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
A lot of it was Kirk Gibson. He thought Chris Young and Justin Upton played unspired and were not grinders when it came to playing hurt.

Yeah I've read that. Guess Upton playing most of the season with an injury isn't grinding enough for him. I just have too many problems with the organization right now, though I do like Prado as a player. He's just no superstar like I believe Upton is.

KT just summed it up for me on the radio. "I'm not into winning a trade." No kidding Towers.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York

ive been a Mets fan since 1978. Not all teams can be "winners". Imagine being an Astros fan! lol

STHendricks

May 3, 2010
MN
So AZ spent the offseason turning Upton and Bauer into Gregorious, Prado, Delgado, Spruill, and a bunch of spare parts? Ouch. How do you go from first demanding Andrus or Profar along with "other significant pieces", to almost getting Walker, Franklin, and 2 bullpen pieces, to accepting this?

This sums it up well. Rough off-season for Dbacks....

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Perhaps this..?

"According to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, the Diamondbacks will package Nick Ahmed with a pitching prospect and pursue a trade for the Tigers' Rick Porcello.The Diamondbacks are getting Ahmed from the Braves in the seven-player Justin Upton trade, which should be finalized early next week. A second-round pick in 2011, Ahmed batted .269/.337/.391 with six home runs, 49 RBI and 40 stolen bases over 130 games last season for High-A Lynchburg. He is a very rangy defender."

Eh. I don't know.

I would be absolutely FURIOUS if I was an Arizona Diamondbacks fan.

I completely agree with everything you just said.

As Dbacks fans, we have endured some horrible trades: from acquiring Richie Sexson, to trading away Carlos Gonzalez and Brett Anderson to Oakland, giving up Ryan Wheeler for Matt Reynolds and then sending Bauer to Cleveland and now Upton to Atlanta.

This is the one that finally does it for me.

The best piece i've read about it is Craig Calcaterra's summation of Bob Knightengale's article:

"The most I can tell: he wasn’t as good last year as he had been the year before. Then they didn’t like that he reacted negatively to the team’s owner talking smack about him in the press and openly shopping him. Then they got really mad at him when he rejected the trade to the Mariners, despite the fact that the Dbacks are the ones that gave him a no-trade clause in the first place. Nowhere in there is it said that Upton’s poor (for him) 2012 might have something to do with the fact that he suffered a thumb injury at the beginning of the season that even the smack-talking owner described as 'nagging.'"

When Josh Byrnes was finally fired and Towers put in his place, I was ecstatic. Here's a guy who managed the Yankees before. He should be able to help turn this ship around. And for a while it seemed like he was on the right path making moves that benefited the club in a positive way. JJ Putz and Aaron Hill immediately come to mind.

Yet, ever since Towers took over it's like he had his mind made up that trading Upton was essential to the team's future. He constantly told teams that Upton was available "for the right offer".

The ownership (most notably Ken Kendrick) critized Stephen Drew for what they perceived as milking his injury in terms of rehabbing and reporting back and then Upton for apparently not playing hard enough.

Upton rarely complained to the media about the team or owners and always stayed quiet. If he was asked by reporters he would just move on and not comment. He attended charity functions and other team events without complaints and was described as a great clubhouse guy by reporters and teammates.

So what exactly Kendrick and Towers beef was, we will never know.

For those who are on the outside looking in on this trade, here is what it looks like from a Dbacks fan perspective: The team waited too long to trade Upton and dragged it out.

Arizona sports teams (Suns, Cards, Coyotes and Dbacks) also have histories of being cheap and trying to pass off below-average teams as something special. This is no different. Upton was the third-highest paid player on the team behind Heath Bell and Kubel. The Dbacks were ranked 23rd in payroll before the deal and it's possible they will fall into the 24th spot, which is approximately the $67,000,000 range.

Also, when the team trades Kubel, this number will fall even more and will put them near #28 with Kansas City and Houston.

What this means for me is that I'm done going to games, buying shag, etc.

Towers wants to emulate Beane's moneyball style in Oakland but here's the deal: Towers is not Beane. Getting cheap guys who win is being smart. Getting cheap guys who lose is being cheap.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
One of my big hopes was that the Upton Bros. would get to play together in their prime, but didn't think it would happen until this offseason, but still considered it a longshot. So, I'm happy. If OutKast would get back to making music together, Atlanta would be just about my favorite city in the country.

PadresFan86

Nov 11, 2011
California
Great news as a Padres fan. Maybe we can move up to 3rd place this year :benson:

Sent from my HUAWEI-M920 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

sscards

Jul 18, 2010
Im a Braves fan and as pumped as I am about getting Upton and having one of the best OF's in the MLB we are loosing a great ballplayer. It was a good deal for both sides. I would take the trade any day as a Braves fan. Prado is a great player! Has played every position for the Braves!!!!! Spruil, Ahmed and Delgado are not C level prospects. Delgado is MLB ready and Spruil should be their soon. I am extremely at the direction the Braves are headed though. I love the idea of the brothers together and I love the young fiery team we have. Keep choppin!

Eric

Members online