Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector of the Week- PredatorKJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Welcome back to "Collector of the Week". Today we are going to talk to PredatorKJ, FCB's resident novelist. :)

Hey PredatorKJ, thanks for joining us. Who is the man behind the screen name and where are ya from?

My name is Aaron. I came up with PREDATORKJ from the book Predator: Concrete Jungle. I think when I first tried to create an account somewhere, predatorcj was taken. But not too many people spell concrete with a "K". So I just ran with it. In any case I love all the Predator comics, books, and movies so that's where I got the idea. As far as where I'm from, The H(ouston) of course.

So you are most widely known for your Bagwell collection. What are your current numbers for your Bagwell collection? (Give me some details, # of GU/autos, total number of unique cards, % of completion)

I have over 400 different GU cards, 30 certified autographed cards, and as of right now, even though my sig isn't updated, I have roughly 3,385 different cards. As far as completion percentage, it depends what you go by. I really don't pay much attention to it since Beckett has so many cards they fail to mention and there are actually a few newer cards of Bagwell out there. I have at least 300 cards not listed by Beckett so I would guess I'm at least close to the 50% mark even with the Beckett discrepancies.

That’s a pretty impressive number. How long have you been collecting Bagwell? Why did you start collecting him and what is the VERY FIRST Jeff Bagwell card you purchased?

I've been collecting him since 2006. I spoke with a friend and co-worker, Juan, who got me out of comics and back into sports cards. He had a heck of a collection and I wanted to get back into collecting cards. Plus, a lot of the stuff he had, I collected as a kid growing up. And best of all, it was cheap! But I noticed he had a nice Bagwell collection. And when I first got on the Beckett message boards, I noticed a lot of people were going after specific players. Trying to complete everything made of that player. I did some searching and decided I wanted to emulate my friend and go after Bagwell cards, especially after seeing his collection and what was out there. But he did it just for fun. For me, it became an all encompassing endeavor. I always liked watching Bagwell as I was growing up. I also liked Griffey Jr. but seeing the prices of his cards, I was like "no way!". So I decided on Bags because he's a hometown hero and I love the astros. I could never get behind Berkman and Biggio the way I could Bags. They seemed like sidekicks and he seemed like the main guy.

Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio were affectionately known as “The Killer B’s”. But what about real bees? Are you allergic?

Not to Bee's I'm not. Cats yes. I can't stand cats. Sorry guys...and ladies.

Besides Jeff Bagwell, you collect a wide array of players from different sports. Other than Bagwell, what are some of your favorite collections?

I collect a lot. In fact, it's probably too much. I always liked watching Jerry Stackhouse growing up and so far I've got 673 different cards but he has way less than Bagwell so I'm taking it slower. I also collect Eddie George and Jack Lambert though I have way fewer of their cards. They are kind of side projects. My main focus other than Bagwell and Stackhouse is sets. I love completing a good set.

PICTURE TIME! Post pictures of your 5 favorite cards from across all your collection.

This by far not my most expensive Bagwell but for some reason, it's one of my top three for sure. It's weird but most of my favorites aren't super expensive.
BagwelGrassPatch_zps70cf2a34.jpg

This is my favorite Stackhouse card and yet, another somewhat cheap one. I remember seeing my buddy pull this back when it came out and I wanted it so badly but he wouldn't part with it for anything, even Jordan inserts.

StackhousePlayMaker_zps055c9246.jpg

This was my first Jack Lambert card I ever got and I pulled it from a retail box back in 2007 from target. After not knowing who he was and doing some research, he quickly became very interesting to me. I like what he represents. The dude was an absolute monster! Something that would give you nightmares.

Lambertpatch_zpse223ea28.jpg

This was my first Eddie George card. I thought this thing was cool as could be. Picked it up in a card shop up in Spring, Texas. I had never seen anything like this and I just had to have it. After doing some more research on George, who I already knew a little about, he became my top football collection.

EddieGeorgeGrass_zps62260f4b.jpg

Another bruising rusher I collect is none other than the Tyler Rose. I've met Earl several times. But I had always had to pay for his auto. I've got plenty of them so far but I always wanted to get his rookie signed. It's just not something I really wanted to pay for. Well last year, I got my chance. I got his shortened signature which consists of E Campbell, that he's now taken to doing at free signings but for free, I'll gladly take it.

EarlCampbell_zps34ead16b.jpg

Do you have any Bagwell related tattoos? If I paid for it, would you get this tattoo on your back?
bagwellheart_zps0c0d1af8.jpg

Probably not. I don't mind tatoos but that thing is guady as hell! I'd probably get a number 5 if anything but as of right now, no, I have no Bagwell related art on my body.

Jeff Bagwell’s house recently went up for sale in Houston. If you bought the house, you would HAVE to put a statue of Bagwell in the garden. Which pose would you use?

Is there really any other pose to go for?

Bagwellstatuepose_zpsdaa55902.jpg

You are also an avid autograph hound. What is the best experience you have had in your hunt? What about the worst?

Honestly, I think the best was with Bagwell. Not only being able to meet the guy I avidly collect but seeing how cool he was with the fans, it made for a great experience. He messed up a guys photo because it was too glossy and told the guy to go find someone else in line who had one for sale, and he would pay for it out of his own pocket and sign it too. Never seen an athlete, especially of Bagwell's status, do that. Let's just say he's a far cry from some of the other astros I've met(looking at you Biggio and Berkman)!

I'd say the worst was Sam Cassell. I saw him at the team hotel and he refused to sign my basketball because he "doesn't sign basketballs". I loved collecting his cards and watching him growing up. Yet he signed plenty of 16x20's for the dealers around me. That was nice. I swear, if I ever see him at a paid signing, I'm going to buy as many tickets as I can afford, make him sign nothing but basketballs, and then just keep one. I'll tell him to keep the rest as reminder that he signs basketballs, just for money.

How can we contact you when we find sweet Bagwells for ya?
On the greatest card related website to be found of course! WWW.FREEDOMCARDBOARD.COM

Aaron, thanks a lot spending a few minutes with us and allowing us to get to know ya better.

See! That wasn't too long to read, now was it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts