Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 Hawaii trade conference underway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
What info will be shared this year?
What breaking news will be announced?

From Beckett.com

When the 2016 Industry Summit gets underway on Sunday, it marks the 30th anniversary from when the trade conference first began. In honor of the anniversary, it’s heading back to where it all began — the sunny skies of Hawaii.

If the National is viewed as the biggest event of the year for collectors, then the Industry Summit is the equivalent for the business side of the hobby. It’s one of the few times that dealers, card company staff and executives, league reps and other industry professionals can meet together face-to-face.

Like any trade conference, business is the primary goal for those attending. That means that most of the meetings will be taking place in private. However, the schedule has several presentations, sessions and announcements that will impact collectors and the hobby in general.

You can stay tuned to Beckett News for ongoing coverage of the 2016 Industry Summit starting on Sunday, February 21 until things wrap up on Wednesday, February 24. We’ll be at presentations, sessions and other special events to bring the sights and the conversations to those who won’t be there. You can also follow our various social media channels including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. If you have any questions or want to talk about the conference on Twitter, tag it with #IndustrySummit .

Of course, being an event centered around sports and collectibles, some exclusive cards are being made for the event. Cryptozoic, Leaf, Panini, Topps and Upper Deck will all be on hand with various items exclusive to the event.

The 2016 Industry Summit will have some special guests as well. Kit Young, who founded the original trade show three decades ago, is serving as an honorary co-host. Joining him is Dr. James Beckett who is returning to the conference for the first time in a decade.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I remember attending the card show associated with this event. Man you would see some huge cards from the US and Asia. One guy had 22 of 23 Jordan autos on display seeking to find the last one.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
What info will be shared this year?
What breaking news will be announced?

Considering the manufacturer are relatively unimaginative lately and the major sports have longer-term exclusives set in concrete, I imagine the biggest news to report is who gets the NASCAR license(s) and what brands are going to be produced or not.

I suppose the reasons to go if you are a dealer is for the crack for dealers (the exclusive cards :) and for the fact it's Hawaii and warmer than most places in the u.s.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Topps is currently giving their presentation. Beckett is live tweeting. A few of note:

"RIP Topps Supreme".

"Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft getting new configurations".

(when I asked them to elaborate....)

"Not much said as far as specifics other than fewer SKUS for Draft to simplify".

One other item of note. They also mentioned:

"Kenta Maeda/@toppscards have deal made".

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Topps is currently giving their presentation. Beckett is live tweeting. A few of note:

"RIP Topps Supreme".

"Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft getting new configurations".

(when I asked them to elaborate....)

"Not much said as far as specifics other than fewer SKUS for Draft to simplify".

One other item of note. They also mentioned:

"Kenta Maeda/@toppscards have deal made".

Nice! Can't wait for Maeda autos. Too bad they couldn't reach an auto deal with Tanaka.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
By Ryan Cracknell | Hobby Editor

What announcements and news does Topps have at the 2016 Industry Summit? Stay tuned and hit refresh as we’ll be live blogging notes and highlights.

Presenting:

Clay Luraschi, Kevin O’Neil, David Leiner.

Leiner:

Commenting on strong 2015 in both sports and entertainment and candy division. Digital trading card piece is growing like crazy.

No cannibalization of physical side of the hobby with digital.

How do we grow this business?

Luraschi:

How do we reach new customers?

Media coverage in mainstream press (Bryce Harper on Sports Center), social media (2016 Topps Jose Bautista trending topic on Facebook.

National Baseball Card Day returning in 2016. No official date yet (maybe All-Star weekend). Part of program will be visiting shops for last card to finish set.

Big initiative for Match Attax to showcase and show how to play.

Digital: 7 million digital packs opened per week, over a million monthly users. Looking for ways to better integrate apps with card shops.

Kevin O’Neil:

TV ads coming for Topps and Bowman baseball.

Looking for more promotional days this year.

Luraschi:

Struck deal with Kenta Maeda (Dodgers rookie).

New configurations for Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft Baseball. (not much in the way of specifics other than fewer SKUs for Bowman Draft to simplify).

New brand coming in 2016 for baseball: Mint Baseball. Working with partners like Franklin batting gloves to integrate.

Star Wars: Journey to Rogue One coming later this year.

Now questions from the crowd.

Why are Kyle Schwarber rookies in 2016 products, not 2015.

Were looking to make stronger impact on hobby. 2015 already had a strong rookie class, so some players held back to make bigger impact.

What products won’t be returning for baseball in 2016?

Topps Supreme.

What’s being done with expired redemptions?

Looking to fix that. We’re covered legally but that’s a horrible answer. We’ve taken redemptions in house. Redemptions are on the docket and it’s something we’re working on.

Possibility to have hobby shops involved in redemption process but tough with geographic locations of collectors.

How far out do you plan?

About a year. This week we’re talking about 2017 products.

Will we see anything like Topps Archives Signature for football?

At this point not planning any physical product for football.

Topps also added looking to shorten ordering window for dealers.

Is there an autograph deal in place with Daisy Ridley?

Officially, not yet. Things have changed with the way Star Wars autographs are acquired. Working closely with LucasFilms to announce full slate soon.

How many people work internally on shipping redemptions.

Full-time staff of five.

Ship around 1,800-2,500 packages per week.

Trying to be more transparent.

Each card is inspected before sent out.

Sometimes not all cards available when announce — ie if there’s a card with a print run of 25 and three come back smudged.

Hold ourselves to a very high standard.

Anything more high-end than Dynasty?

Something connected to 65th anniversary that will be very limited (no further details).

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Guess you missed seeing the link above.

Sent from my XT907 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
OThis is why I love Leaf. Hold nothing back and only make quality products filled with value.

BG said there's no baseball products planned for this year

By Ryan Cracknell | Hobby Editor

Brian Gray has taken the podium at the 2016 Industry Summit from Hawaii. Below is a live blog capturing highlights and key points from his address.

Hit refresh for frequent updates.

Not going to spend a lot of time talking specific topics.

Addressing how brought draft football products out as a premium product.

2016 Leaf Football Draft Lineup: Metal Draft, Ultimate, Trinity, Draft Retail.

Draft Retail not a very profitable line but exposes hobby at retail level.

2015-16 Leaf Hockey Lineup (including new ones):

Metal
Enshrined
Heroes and Prospects
Genesis
Stickworks
ITG Used
Leaf Pearl
Superlative
Leaf Ultimate
Sportkings Hockey
Lumber Kings Hockey
Masked Men
Adding signed baseballs to memorabilia lineup with lots of high-end names.

Making buyback products because customers want them. New one is Leaf Millennium ($1,000 SRP) — worst card is a Michael Jordan autograph.

The return on investment should be the joy you have opening a product.

Oval Office returning in 2016.

Multi-sport products: Leaf Q, Sport Heroes, Sportkings, Leaf Game Used.

One of goals is to reinvigorate things like Sportkings that had been run into the ground.

Originals Wrestling is returning. Signature Series Wrestling also on the way. Signature Series to include cut signatures of Andre the Giant, Vince McMahon Sr.

Metal Tennis being introduced.

Daisy Ridley (Rey from*The Force Awakens) confirmed signer for Pop Century.

Hobby is in a better place now than it was two years ago. We have a chance to grow into something we are proud of again.

Opening up floor for Q&A.

Have you thought anything about racing.

We had some discussions but we decided it wasn’t for us. It’s a category that needs to be raised from the dead.

Have you thought about do a ***** Leagues set?

Yes, but photography is a challenge. That said, the content is so compelling. Art might be the way to go.

Am I going to find Jose Abreu in Best of Baseball anymore?

He’s not good enough. We’re very selective about those products.

Any luck with Tim Duncan?

I offered him $200 a card and he turned me down.

Will Leaf Pearl Hockey cost $1,000?

Price hasn’t been set yet. That’s the last thing you should do. Likely $400-1,000. Won’t release until Canadian dollar improves.

What are your thoughts on shrinking number of hobby shops?

It sucks. We have online dealers and group breakers and they’re good. But it’s tough on shops. It’s not exclusive to the hobby, though. Look at Circuit City. Focus on the right thing with your customers. The reality is [online dealers] aren’t going away.

Topic of exclusives brought up.

Called Panini to find out when Contenders Draft comes out so they don’t overlap and cannibalize each other. Example of how companies can co-exist for good of industry.

Says will stop player exclusives if others do as well.

On licensing.

We’re going to make the products we can do well. No logos might not be as compelling but good for those looking for ink.

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
OThis is why I love Leaf. Hold nothing back and only make quality products filled with value.

i like that redemptions never expire.

speaking of leaf, does anyone know what the MSRP of their campaign 2016 product is?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
$200 per auto card for Duncan seems crazy. Can't see him moving the needle on product demand even though the autos he does have on market do well.

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts