Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why are baseball cards 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches? Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Got into a conversation today with a co-working about this. Baseball cards, for the most part, have always been (modern day) the same size which is roughly 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches. Does anyone know why this is? Why they landed on this size? Why it's stuck for the most part?

I wasn't able to track down any sort of story or anything but I believe it might have something to do with how they lay out on a piece of paper and/or now a days with a 3x3 plastic page holder for cards? Or we thought about it having to do with how they're created and then cut, etc. and that the size works well for production?

I can't think of anything else and couldn't find any good stories online to tell me why.

Thoughts?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
My guess would be something like this. Probably the best dimensions to completely fill the sheet of paper for printing.
Def agree with this and like [MENTION=5900]allstars[/MENTION] comment about once the 3x3 plastic pages came out, there was not turning back..

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
DIN Standards and ISO standard for paper size were around in early 1900, while playing cards were using paper standards even 100 years before. Playing cards obviously went with A8 to easilly fit in the hand, so I assume baseball cards 100's of years later followed suit (pun intended).

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Because that's the size that fits in a standard toploader.

But I agree with everyone, it's a nice size for the hand (think about how much hell it would be sorting wider cards) and the standard has been established so firmly that turning back is not possible.

Also maybe something with distribution? Tobacco cards were a lot smaller but were in a much larger package at the time. Modern cards on the other hand, once sold individually, had to fit on the candy shelf in a form fitting package.

Maybe also something to do with efficient size for fitting stats and a picture?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
DIN Standards and ISO standard for paper size were around in early 1900, while playing cards were using paper standards even 100 years before. Playing cards obviously went with A8 to easilly fit in the hand, so I assume baseball cards 100's of years later followed suit (pun intended).
I never thought of this but following what was acceptable for playing cards was probably a safe bet... good post!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
2.5"x3.5" is exactly one-quarter of a 5"x7"...or a 5"x7" cut in half both ways...I imagine sticking to a more standard measure meant being able to use existing cutting machines.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Topps changed the size after they bought out bowman. Smaller cards = less cost and more profit.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
In a broader sense, the 3.5 to 2.5 is close to the golden ratio, which is universally pleasing to the eye. Topps had a monopoly from the early 1950's to 1980's. From 57-80 they standardized on 2.5 x 3.5. With that long of conformity, when Fleer and Donruss joined the mix, they just followed suit. By then the hobby supplies (mostly album pages back then, not so much toploaders) were built around the size. Sy Berger at Topps gets the credit for the modern standard size.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
As someone who's worked with printing I'm going to say it doesn't have much to do with fitting them on the sheet. They can use any size sheet of paper they want or wanted to. I would guess it has more to do with fitting in your hand, on a shelf and a lot to do with the DPI of pictures. In order to keep a good aspect ratio with out blurred photos its a good size especially since the cameras were not steller when the size became a standard and pictures were being put on cards. After the supplies were built and people became accustomed to the size there was no turning back.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I certainly don't buy the "it's because that is the size of toploaders or 9-pocket pages" statements.

The cards can be any size and still be put in pages or toploaders. If you look at Ultra Pro's line, you'll see they make pages and toploaders for our standard sized cards, for minis, for larger cards.

Why the cards are standard 2.5 x 3.5, I dunno (like some of the printing page or A8 size theories) but I would make the argument whatever reason for the 2.5 x 3.5 inch cards, Ultra Pro and their competitors made the pages to fit that size because that was the size of the cards that collectors wanted to protect rather than cards were made that size to fit collector storage supplies.