Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best hobby freebie all year? (REA Catalog)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Got my Robert Edwards Auction catalog in the mail today. 650 pages of pictures and info on some of the rarest, coolest, most interesting pieces in baseball memorabilia and collecting history. I've now reached a point where I actually get involved in bidding on occasion, which is really cool, but this IMO is one of the greatest freebies you ever find.

2014Cover.jpg

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
These bricks come shipped Priority! It amazes me how much they spend to print and ship these bad boys.

Great bathroom reading.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I love auction catalogs. They're basically illustrated baseball card and memorabilia history books.
I have several old Sotheby's, Lelands and Mastro auction catalogs from the late '90s to early '00s.
The quality of them is amazing.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I always like going to larger shows and picking up all the catalogs I can find that are being given away by the auction houses. The bag gets real heavy after awhile but one trip to a show can give me months of reading (bathroom) material.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
They get sent to me randomly. I have about 5-6 of them from the last decade. Never bought from them, I am not even sure I'm a registered user on the website. I've bought from a couple other auction houses, maybe they share mailing lists. Either way, yes, they are total sports hobby ****.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I just sent for one, too. I may be able to find some cards that I need this way. I may not be able to afford them, but I can find them. The T209 Contentnea cards of Roanoke players are tough to find and expensive, also.
DANNY

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
I was looking at putting a pretty substantial bid down on a set in this particular auction but was surprised when I looked at registering and found that they wanted two hobby references. Seriously? Apparently having a eBay account with a feedback rating of over 4,000 isn't good enough by itself.

I don't go to card shops, so I've cultivated no relationships with shop owners. I don't deal regularly with the same individuals online. I haven't bought from any other auction houses before (although I expect that to change soon). What am I to do?

I get what they are trying to do, but it seems like proof of a long-standing successful eBay account should be enough. Oh well… their loss.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ccouch, I understand your frustration.
I'm in the same boat as you since I'm a relatively private collector.

The auction houses do it to prevent deadbeat and troll bidders, like in many high profile auctions when kids and trolls bid just to say they bid on a historic auction.
I'd be pissed if I found out some teenage punk bid me up thousands of dollars just for kicks.

I'm surprised the auction houses don't do financial background and credit checks.

ccouch (Chad)

Aug 8, 2008
ccouch, I understand your frustration.
I'm in the same boat as you since I'm a relatively private collector.

The auction houses do it to prevent deadbeat and troll bidders, like in many high profile auctions when kids and trolls bid just to say they bid on a historic auction.
I'd be pissed if I found out some teenage punk bid me up thousands of dollars just for kicks.

I'm surprised the auction houses don't do financial background and credit checks.

Yep, Austin -- I totally see why they are so careful. They have to protect their consigners.

Have you ever bid on anything from any of the other major houses? I've been lurking the Heritage and Huggins and Scott auctions for quite some time. And heck, Mile High is pretty much in my back yard. I think I'm about to start dipping my toes in the water, so to speak.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've recently started getting more into auction houses. I faced a similar issue but there are some which are less demanding and once you sign up for one or two, combined with eBay you are good. You may be able to contact them and explain your situation and I would
imagine they would be fine accepting you...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yep, Austin -- I totally see why they are so careful. They have to protect their consigners.

Have you ever bid on anything from any of the other major houses? I've been lurking the Heritage and Huggins and Scott auctions for quite some time. And heck, Mile High is pretty much in my back yard. I think I'm about to start dipping my toes in the water, so to speak.
I haven't bid on any autions yet. I've been a lurker too. I've been really tempted though.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I was looking at putting a pretty substantial bid down on a set in this particular auction but was surprised when I looked at registering and found that they wanted two hobby references. Seriously? Apparently having a eBay account with a feedback rating of over 4,000 isn't good enough by itself.

I don't go to card shops, so I've cultivated no relationships with shop owners. I don't deal regularly with the same individuals online. I haven't bought from any other auction houses before (although I expect that to change soon). What am I to do?

I get what they are trying to do, but it seems like proof of a long-standing successful eBay account should be enough. Oh well… their loss.
REA takes this stuff very seriously. They are the only auction house that called me and basically interviewed me when I registered to bid. I have placed several bids with them, but never won anything. Their prices go through the roof.

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland

Chad,

I don't think we've ever spoke, but I do remember you from the Beckett days. If you'd like to register with us, I can definitely help you bid with us.

James (Huggins & Scott)

P.S--As the Head Writer for Huggins & Scott, I really look forward to the REA catalog...it is very well done.

Members online

Latest posts