Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lincecum Signs w/ SF For Two More Years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
I love Timmy. I am happy to have him back. However I think they overpaid by about $10 million. The giants are betting that Timmy figures out how to be effective with his velocity loss. He still misses alot of bats, but when he makes a mistake he gets hit hard. He used to be nasty when his fastball - changeup mph differential was 10-14...last years 6-8 wasn't keeping hitters off balance.
If he can be a solid #3 behind Bumgarner and Cain this deal isn't terrible, but if he ends up like Zito...well we all know how that went.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
WAY WAY more than he is worth.

If he's Lincecum of 2012 and 2013, yes. If he's Lincecum of pre-2012, than it's a steal for the Giants. The man won 2 Cy Youngs and helped win 2 WS for the franchise...hard to not give him some sort of deal...the length - 2 years was smart by the Giants.

He showed glimpses of his early career this year, so hopefully he can put it together.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
IMO this type of deal helps and hurts other free agents. The price per year is a plus, the numbers if years is a negative. (As a player) I hope that the trend continues to be to the 5 years and under side for the teams sake.

TV money or not, it's real $ and should be used wisely. The $150m+ contracts just don't make sense and when you start talking $250-300m even less.

Even in this TL situation, I don't think he was going to get 17.5 on the market so I think the Giants could have gotten away for 2/$30 and used that other $5 towards other players.

Anyway it must be nice

Ryan

Dpendola

Apr 16, 2013
Coming from a Giants fan this is hard to believe after how bad he did this year..they must still see something in him.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I see nothing wrong with this deal. Giants are only on the leash for two years and are rewarding a guy that has given them everything he has for years.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I see nothing wrong with this deal. Giants are only on the leash for two years and are rewarding a guy that has given them everything he has for years.

I completely agree. This move was actually kind of genius in my opinion. They didn't hesitate and get into some bidding war, the reacted when everyone else in the baseball-sphere is concentrating on the World Series and didn't commit long-term. His jersey sales alone evens out the expense.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA

This is much safer than their previous signings even the Cain deal. He actually was more consistent this year after the 2nd half than he was in the past. The free agent market is terrible this year for pitchers (but great for the free agents), so the Giants wanted to lock him up ASAP.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I agree with the shorter sentiment for deals and I think the Giants probably saw that prices would be absurd for mediocrity this off season. I'm hoping the Yankees don't get reeled into some bidding wars for crap pitching.

When does baseball do away with guaranteed contracts, at least in part? More performance based incentives would be great, like half a contract's worth at least. How many people in the real world have guaranteed contracts/employment?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
If he's Lincecum of 2012 and 2013, yes. If he's Lincecum of pre-2012, than it's a steal for the Giants. The man won 2 Cy Youngs and helped win 2 WS for the franchise...hard to not give him some sort of deal...the length - 2 years was smart by the Giants.

He showed glimpses of his early career this year, so hopefully he can put it together.

Agree. It's easy to overlook the first part of his career, but remember that he's still young and if he's on, he's as good as anyone in baseball. Gamble for the Giants, but it's better to give him a little longer to figure it out with a short term contract like this than to let him go and figure it out on a different team.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
I completely agree. This move was actually kind of genius in my opinion. They didn't hesitate and get into some bidding war, the reacted when everyone else in the baseball-sphere is concentrating on the World Series and didn't commit long-term. His jersey sales alone evens out the expense.

LOL what. Best comment of the thread.

You think his jersey sales alone evens out the expense of 35 million over 2 years? I highly doubt that bud.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
LOL what. Best comment of the thread.

You think his jersey sales alone evens out the expense of 35 million over 2 years? I highly doubt that bud.

This.Heard the same nonsense when Pujols signed with the Angels.

Members online