Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

World Series Game 6 Thread (BOS v STL, Sox lead 3-2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doesn't matter if Craig took a step in the direction of 2nd getting to his feet, once he reached third and got up, he established his baseline. The baseline, for purposes of running, is not solely the chalk. Sucks to end that way, but it was 100% the right call. My point of view, clearly no intent by Middlebrooks.

On a tangent, you want to see obstruction never called, watch youth baseball at first base. I'll be coaching a 13U in the spring and can't tell you how many times a first baseman is basically planted on the base as the runner tries to round the base and it is never called.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This play will be the beginning of another 80-year Red Sox curse.
Sox fans will be blaming this play on their team's bad luck until the turn of the century.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
The angels/wsox call was much worse than this, and I was told by everyone to quit whining and deal with it.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Sam I think Craig is done for the year after that run. Crazy ending but a win is a win. On a sidenote I just
received in a Craig auto today paid 7 dollars. The card is 77/299. I did not open the package until after the game. Weird LOL Triple 777

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
It was the correct call and there is no argument about it. It was obstruction. And I'm rooting for the Red Sox.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Watch very closely: Middlebrooks didn't lift his legs until AFTER Craig tripped on him. Those umpires should be fired and the game continued with Craig being called out.

MLB.com Gameday | MLB.com: Gameday

It doesn't matter when Middlebrooks lifted his legs or whether he did it or not...the fact is Middlebrooks was in the basepath on the ground and unintentionally tripped Craig and cause obstruction (Craig advancing another base)...game over.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont

Middlebrooks did not put his feet up in the air to attempt to trip the runner. Middlebrooks did not lift his feet up to get them out of the base line.

He was attempting to get up so he could chase down the ball.

With your feet up in the air your knees are a much better leverage point to push yourself off the ground.

Try it.

Rule 7.06 "A fielder is "in the act of fielding" and it is NOT obstruction, if, his block of the base, is a fluid, continuous result of his effort to glove the ball.
Separate, discontinuous movement, whose sole purpose is to block the base, is obstruction."

100% bull*&^% call. Craig tripped because he panicked. No way the Cardinals deserve to win that game on that call.

"After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the act of fielding the ball. For example: If an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner."

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire

Middlebrooks did not put his feet up in the air to attempt to trip the runner. Middlebrooks did not lift his feet up to get them out of the base line.

He was attempting to get up so he could chase down the ball.

With your feet up in the air your knees are a much better leverage point to push yourself off the ground.

Try it.

I believe you. Bottom line is that Craig tripped immediately upon getting up because he was looking backwards to see where the ball went and so didn't see Middlebrooks lying on the ground and so couldn't even attempt to step over him or around him (on the actual basepath.) Had Craig been standing on the bag he could have run directly down the line and wouldn't have tripped.

The press conference with the umps and Torre was a total cover-up. There were numerous errors in their explanations about all of it. They simply want us to buy into their mistakes and accept their rulings as correct. None of the Red Sox buy it, and neither do I.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I believe you. Bottom line is that Craig tripped immediately upon getting up because he was looking backwards to see where the ball went and so didn't see Middlebrooks lying on the ground and so couldn't even attempt to step over him or around him (on the actual basepath.) Had Craig been standing on the bag he could have run directly down the line and wouldn't have tripped.

The press conference with the umps and Torre was a total cover-up. There were numerous errors in their explanations about all of it. They simply want us to buy into their mistakes and accept their rulings as correct. None of the Red Sox buy it, and neither do I.

"After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the act of fielding the ball. For example: If an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner."

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland

Red Sox players and some of their fans can stomp their feet all they want about it, but the above is completely undisputable. It's a crappy way to lose a game but the umpires were 100% correct on this one. If they can't move on from this then it is going to be a quick series.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I feel the umpires got the call right. I think it was an unfortunate way for a great game to end but I do think it was a fair call. The bottom line is Middlebrooks did impede Craigs path to home plate and it doesn't really matter if it was intentional or not. I am of the opinion that Middlebrooks lifted his legs up to trip Craig but from the sounds of it that doesn't matter, all that matters is that Craig tripped over Middlebrooks on his way home which he obviously did. Just like when Kozma didn't make a good play in the 8th and it cost the Cardinals a run, Saltalamacchia didn't make a good play in the 9th and it cost the Red Sox the most important run.

Last edited:

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Rules!

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and
not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

As soon as Craig tripped, whether WM's legs went up or not, he was obstructed.

7.06 (b) If no play is being made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no
further action is possible. The umpire shall then call “Time” and impose such
penalties, if any, as in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction.

JJ pointed to the obstruction but let the play continue. The home plate umpire saw that call and also pointed to the obstruction.

So the Cardinals got this call and the Red Sox got the DP Transfer call. Even?
I also think that with the expanded replay coming, the Umps feel a little more under the gun to get the calls correct.

Members online

Latest posts