Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HOLY COW What a RIDICULOUS Patch!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
ChasHawk said:
Looks like their 1968 jerseys were still being made by Rawlings...

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionD ... -Graded-A9

Ya in 1972 as well...
4001C_lg.jpeg

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/ ... otid=22632

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Is there any way that the home jerseys were made by Rawlings but the away ones were made by Wilson? I'm just wondering I don't know whether or not a team could have been sponsored by two different jersey companies back in the 60s and 70s, I know the tag patch on the Clemente card is from an away jersey and the 1968 looks wool and the one on the card doesn't look wool it looks more towards the material of the 1972 jersey.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
homerun28aa said:
Is there any way that the home jerseys were made by Rawlings but the away ones were made by Wilson? I'm just wondering I don't know whether or not a team could have been sponsored by two different jersey companies back in the 60s and 70s, I know the tag patch on the Clemente card is from an away jersey and the 1968 looks wool and the one on the card doesn't look wool it looks more towards the material of the 1972 jersey.

Road jerseys were the grey doubleknit discussed below.

George_Calfas said:

For what is it worth I think it is a great card.

I will leave it at this for the research portion:
In 1970 12 major league teams were wearing Rawlings-made uniforms, including the Pittsburgh Pirates, clad in the division's newly introduced doubleknit nylon and cotton uniforms.
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... story.html

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Sorry for the triple post guys but I just want to say that I've learned a ton from all you guys, whether or not we have had vigorous debates and even insulted each other I learned way, way more about vintage game used full jerseys than I ever knew before. These debates are the reason this board is so great.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
At this point, I am hoping that IF this Clemente tag isn't real, that Topps just cut someone else's jersey by mistake and put it in Clemente's card, hopefully they still bought an authentic Clemente.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
homerun28aa said:
At this point, I am hoping that IF this Clemente tag isn't real, that Topps just cut someone else's jersey by mistake and put it in Clemente's card, hopefully they still bought an authentic Clemente.
either way nothing is going to happen, topps isn't going to admit it, nobody's going to do ****, and nothing's going to change.

oasis

Mar 1, 2009
ChasHawk said:
homerun28aa said:
either way nothing is going to happen, topps isn't going to admit it, nobody's going to do shat, and nothing's going to change.

dont be too sure.

lets see what beckett, topps and other experts may say..

then I can decide

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
ChasHawk said:
homerun28aa said:
either way nothing is going to happen, topps isn't going to admit it, nobody's going to do shat, and nothing's going to change.

BINGO.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I'd like to see Topps have some kind of better system to check the work they've done. I mean I think we all believe that they at least purchase legit memorabilia whether it by game used, event worn, etc. etc., whether it gets in the cards is another story.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
homerun28aa said:
Sorry for the triple post guys but I just want to say that I've learned a ton from all you guys, whether or not we have had vigorous debates and even insulted each other I learned way, way more about vintage game used full jerseys than I ever knew before. These debates are the reason this board is so great.
I echo this. I've just been following along and I've learned a TON just from this thread alone. I have also had some of the biggest laughs ever.

Not that my opinion matters at all at this point but I believe 100% that the card was pack pulled by the owner but it's def in question whether it's actually a patch from a Clemente jersey. I also agree that regardless most likely nothing will change and it really comes down to the owner and if he feels it's real. If so, it'll stay in the PC for a long time and doesn't matter what a board says.

I hate the thought of how things like this can be in question. I basically only collect Belle stuff today and have paid a pretty pennie for some of his memo cards but can't imagine shelling out the coin for something like this and then being caught up in a situation where I'm challenging the validity of the memo/card, etc. The hobby has taken a crazy turn since I was a collector back in the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online