Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospectors: Quality or Quantity?

Quantity or Quality

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
I have mentioned it before but I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were when you are prospecting do you prefer quantity over quality, quality over quantity or a little from each? Me Personally, I like a little from both as that allows me to have some nice lower end parallels along with a few base so that when the time comes for me to sell, I can have something for both the big and little money buyers.

jkeys

Banned
May 5, 2010
Kansas City area
I hoarded the cheaper Wilin Rosario auto's (Donruss Threads for example) off I could get them shipped at 4 or less and once had more than 30. So...that's the camp I'm in : /

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
I hoarded the cheaper Wilin Rosario auto's (Donruss Threads for example) off I could get them shipped at 4 or less and once had more than 30. So...that's the camp I'm in : /

nice! I try that but it sucks trying to sell them when the player gets hot

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
With how cheap you can get golds of some players now I go with quality. But just a couple of years ago it was definitely quantity.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
In the past, when going crazy over one player, I liked to go for quality. As the budget for cards has gone down, I've turned more towards lower end quantity.

Last edited:

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Quantity on the low end, but I'll add quality cards if the price is right. The question for me is, how much quantity, which is a supply/demand thing. I'll buy all day at $5 if there is upside since the percentages play better on the low end for return value. A red /5 at $200 isn't going to bump as high percentage wise as 40 $5 cards.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
I have been trying to move towards quality as I've had issues with the space for storing and organizing hundreds of cards and the time for listing a large quantity of cards when the time comes to sell.

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
[MENTION=3478]bradical[/MENTION] -do you still have all those Walkers?
[MENTION=3065]CollectorsCorner[/MENTION] -I completely agree with you as I think with all these color ref's out it causes the prices to drop across the board and when you can get Gold Ref Auto's for +/- $70 of a top prospect, I'll take that any day of the week!
[MENTION=6151]gmsieb[/MENTION] -LOL! and buying the lower end cards in quantity was how I used to be when I first started out

noaskiecards

Sep 19, 2008
The return is definitely higher on lower end cards if a player increases in value.
However, if a player decreases in value, it's a lot easier moving a higher end refractor than base.

So in a way, it's higher risk and reward with lower end...Best to diversify

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
For me i'll take the base auto's all day. If i do decide to go higher end, I use the B and B method, base and blues...

nice! Thats what I used to do before I got crazy and started buying red's like they were base. If I was smart I would go back and just stick to the "B and B method", its so much safer

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
[MENTION=5416]D-Lite[/MENTION] -I completely agree with you on your assesment, but the way I look at it is that its alot easier to move 1 red than 40 base when that window is rapidly closing
[MENTION=2258]longbomberz[/MENTION] -haha, that was me about 12-13 years ago, as awesome as it was to have well over a million cards, it just ate up what little space I did have in my room. Ever since I sold off about 99% of that I have tried to keep my collection from overflowing again
[MENTION=3478]bradical[/MENTION] -thats sick, 1000! damn
[MENTION=2587]noaskiecards[/MENTION] -I completely agree

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I'll buy higher end stuff, but it's much easier selling base and regular refractors when a player gets hot. Plus I don't grade, so I don't have to deal with as many people that are skeptical over the condition of the cards.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I tend to do both. Cards like base chrome autographs usually provide the best return but there reaches a point where you've bought so much that it is difficult to move it in a single hot stretch. Mixing it up makes it a little easier. (It's what I did with Pujols for example. My favorite card is the SPx auto which I got 8 of, but I also got a whole bunch of others since it will be harder to move so many of the same card.)

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
So here's an example of Quality vs. quantity...

A buxton gold

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BYRON-BUXTON-2013-BOWMAN-CHROME-RC-GOLD-REF-AUTO-50-SP-TOP-PROSPECT-REFRACTOR-/310851744590?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item486035334e#ht_139wt_1305

A Base

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Bowman-Chrome-Byron-Buxton-ON-CARD-Auto-RC-BCP-BB-MINNESOTA-TWINS-/291059026014?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item43c478485e#ht_24wt_1305

So would you rather have the one gold or 6 base?

What would it take for the gold to double and if it does would the base get into the 300+ territory or go even higher?

Thats a good example. I would probably go for the Gold as I feel that by the time the base are hitting $200 the Gold will be around $1300-$1500, I could be wrong but its just my opinion