Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Two additions to my HOF autograph collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
It had been a while since I added any old names to my HOF autograph collection. As always, the REA spring auction was loaded, and I decided to go after a couple. I spent WAY too much, but ended up adding two names to my collection.

First, Cumberland Posey, longtime owner of the ***** League Homestead Grays, inducted into the Hall in 2006. During the time he owned and ran the Grays , he was also on the board of directors of Homestead High School, and diplomas from that period are one of the most common ways to procure his signature. You can see his "C.W. Posey in the middle of the right column of signatures. I like having a diversity of items in my collection, and this is certainly the first diploma (and one can read about the small financial windfall for the school that came from finding a stash of these diplomas that no one picked up in a storage room of Homestead High after Posey went into the Hall).

3568b3d5-ab75-414a-bee6-6d9c458cb0a8_zpsyn9i9gjq.jpg

I have a few signed baseballs in my collection as well, but none as rare or valuable as this one. I normally stay away from single-signed baseballs because they carry a premium over other media, but this one called to me. It is signed by Hughie Jennings, a player and manager for 34 years. He won championships with the Orioles and Superbas as a player at the end of the 19th century. Fun fact from that time: Jennings holds the records for hit-by-pitch in a season (51) and in a career (287). He also won several pennants as the manager of Ty Cobb's Tigers and two world series as a coach for John McGraw's Giants, the latter of which being the period in which he signed this ball. It came with the requisite COAs, but also a handwritten letter from the family of the man who caught the foul ball at a giants game and had Jennings sign it. These are hard to store, but nice to display. It will look good next to my Honus Wagner and Mickey Mantle baseballs.

Jennings_zpsevew261v.jpeg

This puts me at 246 different HOF autos. I blew the savings, so it will certainly be a long while before I purchase another who is already in.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Woo hoo! Congrats.... I just paid $3 for a Hugh Jennings for my 1961 Fleer set :)

I love the RE auction but this was not the time for me to make a splash.

Wayne, of the HOFers you don't have, which two or three do you see as your next probable additions ?

Sent from my LG-D415 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Woo hoo! Congrats.... I just paid $3 for a Hugh Jennings for my 1961 Fleer set :)

I love the RE auction but this was not the time for me to make a splash.

Wayne, of the HOFers you don't have, which two or three do you see as your next probable additions ?

Thanks Scott, nice to see you around. And nice pickup on Jennings! I love those early fleer sets, lots of cool HOF cards for very cheap. I don't have close to a set but I have tons of singles, as it is hard to pass them up when found in a bargain box.

As to the HOFers I don't have, that is a tough one. Barring some sort of lottery win, I don't see myself getting any in the near future (or my wife will murder me). The names most within reach would have to be Miller Huggins and Alexander Cartwright. After those two, there is a pretty big jump in prices. I'd love to get a Martin Dihigo, and I think the crowning achievement would be the great Christy Mathewson.

Anyone in your sights?

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Both are AWESOME! Love the baseball, I only have one multi-person signed vintage ball and I'm sure yours looks fantastic in person. Whose the COA from?

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Thanks Scott, nice to see you around. And nice pickup on Jennings! I love those early fleer sets, lots of cool HOF cards for very cheap. I don't have close to a set but I have tons of singles, as it is hard to pass them up when found in a bargain box.

As to the HOFers I don't have, that is a tough one. Barring some sort of lottery win, I don't see myself getting any in the near future (or my wife will murder me). The names most within reach would have to be Miller Huggins and Alexander Cartwright. After those two, there is a pretty big jump in prices. I'd love to get a Martin Dihigo, and I think the crowning achievement would be the great Christy Mathewson.

Anyone in your sights?

I've sputtered a bit. The most realistic next pick up for me would be Cy Young. As you know I do gpcs or index cards and I've not been able to take the plunge at $1k+ or so. Taking family on vacation next month so that dented the budget.

I'm nearing completion of the 61 fleer set but need the big 3- Ruth, Gehrig and Cobb. Fortunately a reasonably priced set.

Hope all is well.

Members online

Latest posts