Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018.. yes 2018! collection goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
1. Complete 1965-68 and 1970s Yankees team sets ― need 20 cards.
2. Complete 2001-09 Topps Heritage Yankees team sets ― need 9 cards.
3. Add 52 Paul O'Neill cards to reach the 760 mark of 1060 from Yankee years
4. Add 12 quality singles to the collection ― autographs, vintage graded, or inserts
5. Create custom card set featuring 6 Yankees on Seinfeld
6. Clear out the trade box -- down to around 500 cards remaining
7. Organize my high-end collection better, store in uniform magnetic holders/bags
8. Continue to sell off accumulated things from around my office, garage and basement

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Good question... off the top of my head here goes:

1. Collect more Jim Thome cards but try not to spend too much the next 2-3 months as Thome might go into the HOF next month. And if he goes into the HOF I'm going to try and go up to N.Y. for the HOF induction ceremony next summer.

2. Get organized and count my Thome cards.

3. Get the last 3 cards of my 1998 Thome Tek set: #17,24, and 90. And then work on set #2.

4. Collect more Jim Thome cards.

5. Finish my 1973 Topps set. Only need about 25 more. I have quite a few dupes for trade if anybody else is working on this set.

6. Collect more vintage Phillies cards.

7. Have fun sorting and organizing all these stacks of cards that are staring me in the face.

8. Possibly try to finish another Topps set, most likely 1974 or 1976.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Hadn't thought about it yet but here goes.

1. Find the 6 Jeff Frye cards I need to get to 100% complete on both Beckett and SCF's checklists.

2. Decide exactly how I'm going to proceed with my Ozzie Smith and Jeff Bagwell PCs.

3. Complete my '80s RC want list.

4. Complete my '80s Cardinals RC want list.

5. Start on my '70s Cardinals RC want list.

6. Complete the 1968 Topps Game set I started this week.

Last edited:

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
1. Finish setting up and organizing my card room. I've made a lot of progress but still a lot to be done.
2. Add 3 new Leaf Exhibits.
3. Add 3 new Autographs.
4. Add 2 1/1's.
5. Get to 70% of 2017 and 2018 Puckett Cards.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I am looking to save money for a few things so I will aim low, and hope to stick to it.
1-Add 4 Tim Wakefield's from his playing days....and any new releases.
2-Herb Pennock, Harry Lord and Jack Barry playing days Red Sox card.
3-Finish 1999 base Tek run of Biggio, need 12B and 30B

That's it. Hopefully that will curtail my spending a bit, the chase is more thrilling for me anyway.

crypticfreak1

May 16, 2016
I would like to get the last 50 or so Brian Johnson (Red Sox) not numbered 1/1 and that will put my unique # up to around 540 for him!

Prophet

Dec 5, 2017
Ohio
1. Complete a base set for 2018 Topps Bunt digital. 2. Make trips to Cleveland to see the Tribe play and to NYC to see a Yankees game in Yankees stadium (Yankees v Mets at Citi would not count). 3. Buy a minimum of 3 1950's era graded cards of blue chips the likes of Mays, Aaron, Williams and Robinson. 4. Open at least one pack of 2018 baseball cards.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Pretty much same as the last few years

1) Keep adding to my vintage sets, 1941 Play Ball and 1971 Topps Greatest Moments
2) Keep adding to my 2011 Marquee Museum set (possibly hit 75% this year)
3) Finish the 2017 Topps Silver Pack chrome set (7 cards for S1 Gold/Orange/Blue/Green, 120+ for S2)
4) Add at least 5 Grady Sizemores. Or else finally start on the M&M and Documentary variations I never cared about.
4a) Finally build a site for my Sizemore collection. I've already paid a ton for my domain name and never really used it. But that means scanning a ton, which I hate.
5) Sell more, buy less. Try to have my baseball hobby finance itself for this year

Not really a goal, but it's been years since I opened a case of something. I keep thinking about Heritage, but I never pull the trigger. 1969 won't be my favorite design so I don't see plunging into that, even if it's not about the design. Maybe GQ or A&G. Maybe something new.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Apparently failed to document goals for 2017 so getting this in now.

1. Per usual try to find 3 of my Jeff Cirillo needs
2. Submit more to PSA for my Sveum collection and work on a graded ‘87 Topps Brewers team set (get to at least 75%) as I continue to get closer to death while desperately trying to hold on to the memories of my youth
3. Upgrade at least 10 autographs from my all-time Brewers Collection (currently need to upgrade 28 for sure)
4. Don’t start any new projects
5. Stay cigarette free

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Buy less and go for the quality! Keep trying to finish the 2003 Timeless Treasures gold set....still only have 74 of the 100! Best regards, David

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
awesome stuff guys! I hope to see positive notes later. even if it's just one card. that's something.
to those of us that are putting personal goals, I hope you achieve everything and continue to succeed.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
1. Finish setting up and organizing my card room. I've made a lot of progress but still a lot to be done.
2. Add 3 new Leaf Exhibits.
3. Add 3 new Autographs.
4. Add 2 1/1's.
5. Get to 70% of 2017 and 2018 Puckett Cards.

Over half way through the year so I guess its time for an update.

1. Made a ton of progress on this. Added shelving for displays and in my closet for storage. Still work to be done though.
2. Haven't added any this year. Man these are hard to find!
3. Puckett autos that I don't have are tough to find and very expensive. I did manage to add a signed Wheaties box though so I'm counting that as progress.
4. Added 1 so far. Hopefully I can wrap this up soon.
5. Right now I'm at 50% for 2018 and 60% for 2017. I have been picking away that this but its down to mainly low numbered stuff now.

Anyone else have an update to share?

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
- Attend the NSCC in Cleveland (already bought my AirBnb)

- Finish my 2011 Topps Heritage tint set

- Pick up the remaining 2001 Topps Heritage inserts I need

- Pick up the 2001 UD Legends of NY Babe Ruth bat card I need to finish the GU bat set

- Sub my 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout to BGS. It looks like a 10.

- Be debt free (2017 got me $15000 closer)

Well this was a fun year so far. I’m posting this from Cleveland, so goal 1 done.

2011 Tint set, eh, much closer than I was, but not quite done.

2001 Topps Heritage - Done (minus 90 or so chromes)

Still looking for the Ruth GU bat I need. No dealers at the NSCC have this.

I did indeed sub my Trout at the National and scored a BGS 9.5! Very happy about that.

Debt free... well, not quite yet. I’ll have only $15k left in September, so I should be done by March 2019. Then it’s time for some house renovations!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Apparently failed to document goals for 2017 so getting this in now.

1. Per usual try to find 3 of my Jeff Cirillo needs
2. Submit more to PSA for my Sveum collection and work on a graded ‘87 Topps Brewers team set (get to at least 75%) as I continue to get closer to death while desperately trying to hold on to the memories of my youth
3. Upgrade at least 10 autographs from my all-time Brewers Collection (currently need to upgrade 28 for sure)
4. Don’t start any new projects
5. Stay cigarette free

1. I think I’ve only been able to locate one so far this year unfortunately. They just aren’t anywhere to be found
2. Subbed a handful so far this year so there was progress. Would like to do more yet if I can find the time which hasn’t been easy to come by
3. Definitely succeeded here already. Only about 8 more that “need” to be upgraded to a Brewers item or neutral item (index card). I also managed to upgrade a bunch of index cards to Brewers cards though I haven’t tracked those as an attainable goal
4. I think I’m succeeding here so far. Toed the line a few times
5. Still cigarette free since 10/11/17 :)

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I am looking to save money for a few things so I will aim low, and hope to stick to it.
1-Add 4 Tim Wakefield's from his playing days....and any new releases.
2-Herb Pennock, Harry Lord and Jack Barry playing days Red Sox card.
3-Finish 1999 base Tek run of Biggio, need 12B and 30B

That's it. Hopefully that will curtail my spending a bit, the chase is more thrilling for me anyway.

1- I've added 5 Wakefield cards from his playing days, which is the most in two or three years, pretty excited about that. He's been in one release this year and I got all 4 cards, including the one of one.
2- I added the herb pennock and Harry Lord. I've seen a couple Jack Barrys but theyre just a bit more than I'd like to spend.
3- No luck on those two Biggio patterns from 99. Found a few 98s but no finish line in sight there yet.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Crazy to fathom another year has gone by. Hopefully everyone made some headway in this crazy hobby of ours. As life happens so in turn does our involvement with our collections.
What are YOUR hopes and aspirations for your part in the collecting world in the following year?
I'll list mine in no particular order.

1) I want to FINISH AT least 2 of the sets I'm working on. down to 3 cards or less in 4 sets.

2) stay focused. I got a little off track with main PC pickups being slow and grabbed up a bunch of stuff I'll probably end up selling in the near future.

3) get re-supplied and have everything encased, labeled and team bagged. I was at about 95% for a month and I keep falling backwards.

4) this is the year I finally grab a Harper auto. overdue But I may just bite the bullet finally.

5) Did I say stay focused!!? I love the stuff I have but between starting a new spahn pc, haniger rainbow, star autographs of today's young stars and grabbing a few things I thought were needed, I spent double what I should have. Stick to my sets or a hof patch once in a while and I feel I should be good.

6) get back in the gym and lose some weight. my knees and back hurt and my 20 yr reunion is this year, so why not?

anyone?

I was going to wait to reply but I don't have anything else going on so...

1) Finished 1 set, one card away from 3 anothers so I feel accomplished. started the year needing 252 cards for my sets. down to 150 or so.

2)still selling but for the most part staying focused 75% of the time.

3) ACCOMPLISHED everything is cased and labeled. just need to reorganize my boxes

4)haven't grabbed the Harper yet. some great ones out there, haven't been able to pull the trigger

5) still spending a bit but mostly only on my sets and supplies. sure another haniger rainbow and a 2012 tribute set and the living set each week but that's it for non main PC items

6) started back in the gym in April, went 1-3 times a week until early July. felt amazing, nothing hurt. clothes went loose, stronger but my weight stayed the same. haven't gone in 3 weeks. feel like a slug now.

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
1) For the HOF manager line-up card collection - Pick up a 3-5 more lineup cards signed by HOF managers including at least one from the "top" of my list (would love to pick up a Stengel Yankees lineup card or an old Connie Mack signed card).

— picked up a second Walter Johnson as well as some other interesting lineup cards, but haven’t been able to find any new HOF’ers. (Thought I had found an Eddie Murray but it ended up being a carbon copy which I returned) —

2) For the Jackie Robinson/Integration Collection - Would love to pick up a Jackie Robinson ***** League signed baseball. Also looking to pick up programs/materials related to Jackie's barnstorming tours, and other interesting items that tell the integration story. May look to move an item or two that are pretty cool, but not necessarily the core of my collection.

— picked up a signed high school yearbook and an album signed by the 1946 Nashua Dodgers (with Campanella and Newcombe) but it’s been slow in that area. —

3) For the ***** League contract collection - Pick up 1-2 more ***** League contracts of either HOF'ers or significant non-HOF players.

— been slow. Nothing to report here —

4) WWII-baseball collection - Find WWII-baseball items related to Hank Greenberg as well as Bob Feller.

— haven’t found anything —

5) Sell off items that are outside of my collecting focus or are "non-essentials." Even within my areas of focus I've definitely picked up some items that are interesting, but not really the sweet spot of my collection.

— haven’t done enough of this —

Members online