Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hey mouschi— is there any hope for this card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
[MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] - figured you’d be the guy who can help.

I’m about to pull the trigger on this, but was wondering if there’s any way possible to (surgically?) switch the patches so it looks like it’s supposed to look? It’s for my PC so I’m okay with it not being 100% flawless. I just don’t want to stare at this backwards mistake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Tripl...013555?hash=item2abfe3f2f3:g:PEcAAOSw0vJcJdYV

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
[MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] - figured you’d be the guy who can help.

I’m about to pull the trigger on this, but was wondering if there’s any way possible to (surgically?) switch the patches so it looks like it’s supposed to look? It’s for my PC so I’m okay with it not being 100% flawless. I just don’t want to stare at this backwards mistake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Tripl...013555?hash=item2abfe3f2f3:g:PEcAAOSw0vJcJdYV

I don't know why they did that to begin with, but either way ... super cool card! I would not feel comfortable myself or for you to attempt. I would worry about Wright's arm getting wrinkled. Plus, we don't know what is behind his arm - they may have placed the patch on that side to cover up a problem underneath. Finally, I probably would want to put something permanent on the back that says it was modified. I know it would be a PC item, but if you sell your collection in a couple years and forget about it, someone may be mighty angry that the card was messed with. I personally think I'd rather if someone switched them, but there are many out there who think just the opposite. Good luck on getting the card though, that looks awesome!

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
[MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION]

I completely get where you're coming from. My careful, thought out response:

Please? :)

It's not something I'd ever get rid of. It's going in a big frame with a full game-used jersey and some other artifacts from his All-Star season. If you can't do it, I understand, but do you have a tutorial of some sort showing how its done?

mouschi

May 18, 2012
[MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION]

I completely get where you're coming from. My careful, thought out response:

Please? :)

It's not something I'd ever get rid of. It's going in a big frame with a full game-used jersey and some other artifacts from his All-Star season. If you can't do it, I understand, but do you have a tutorial of some sort showing how its done?

Hahah! I haven't really attempted to do just a patch swap before, without actually completely redoing the back. Here is an example ...

prosprospects.jpg

I would definitely not suggest this with your booklet, though. If you just absolutely had to try yourself, there are a few things to try:

1) Split it down the middle with an x-acto knife, swap patches and glue it all back up.
2) Use a heat gun and try to pull the patches out through the holes.

I'd say do #1 if anything ... split the middle of the card pieces. Again though, it is possible they are hiding a problem behind his body which is why perhaps they swapped them.

In whatever you choose ... best of luck to you!

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
it is possible they are hiding a problem behind his body which is why perhaps they swapped them.

Thanks for the info. It appears all of the 2017 Triple Thread All-Star patches are flip-flopped -- like the card maker completely screwed up the plans for all of them. I have yet to see any that are displayed properly (other than the Trout on their sell sheet). I'm gonna give it a go.

2017-Topps-Triple-Threads-Baseball-Triple-Threads-All-Star-Jumbo-Book.jpg

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
...and even then, it appears they screwed it up (between the sell sheet and production)

trouty.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Every time I see these, I'm infuriated. This is just about my favorite type of card, and to see them all ruined like that is just galling. I keep wondering why they didn't do a cutout for the shape of the patch, which in addition to looking really sharp would have idiot-proofed the assembly process.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Well, that wasn't too hard.

I have good and bad feelings about it, I guess. It's easy to fix Topps' mistake without noticeably damaging the card... but it would also be fairly easy to replace a jersey with a fake prime(r) patch. I guess that's why there are so many sketchy patches for sale now.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the before and after. I took photos along the way too. All in all, took about 20 minutes.

WrightBeforeAfter2.jpg

Anyway, I'm glad I did it. It was extremely off-putting looking at the screwed up patch. It's not for resale, and even knowing that I "altered" it, I feel much more "at ease" every time I look at it. Thanks [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] for the assist.

Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Okay, this play-by-play isn't going to be as entertaining as Mouschi's, but hopefully it'll help some of you who have been debating about operating on your 17 Triple Threads All Star Patches.

All it took was an exacto knife, some glue and a blow-dryer.

Wright000.jpg

First I took the blade and "split" the card right down the middle. (I started from the inside where the jersey swatch is)

Wright002.jpeg

Then I used the blade to cut all around the card.

Wright 003.jpg

I repeated it on both panels of the card, until the "fronts" were able to be removed.

Wright005.jpg

The jersey pieces were glued on pretty good. I didn't have a heat gun, so I used wifey's hair dryer.

Wright006.jpg

It made it easy to peel the jersey off. The opposite side was super sticky (I guess, that's the point, right?)

Wright007.jpg

I repeated this process for both panels, placing the jersey swatches face down (glue side up)

Wright008.jpg

The glue was still warm and sticky, so I didn't need to re-glue the jersey piece in... just used what was already there.

Wright009.jpg

And finally, I put the front "covers" back on. These were the only pieces I needed to glue. I used tacky wood glue. It seems to hold pretty well.

Wright010.jpg

There is slight evidence of me "splitting" the card if you stare at it from the side (on the inside of the panel). But all in all, it doesn't look like anything was done to it, unless you're looking for it.

Last edited:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Well, that wasn't too hard.

I have good and bad feelings about it, I guess. It's easy to fix Topps' mistake without noticeably damaging the card... but it would also be fairly easy to replace a jersey with a fake prime(r) patch. I guess that's why there are so many sketchy patches for sale now.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the before and after. I took photos along the way too. All in all, took about 20 minutes.

View attachment 86301

Anyway, I'm glad I did it. It's not for resale, and even knowing that I "altered" it, I feel much more "at ease" every time I look at it. Thanks [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] for the assist.

Oh my gosh, it came out great!!! You have more guts than I do. I totally would have been worried about what was hiding behind his arm. What method did you use, and what challenges did you face?

EDIT: I see you are posting what you did above. I'm gonna read it now. Great work again.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Okay, this play-by-play isn't going to be as entertaining as Mouschi's, but hopefully it'll help some of you who have been debating about operating on your 17 Triple Threads All Star Patches.

All it took was an exacto knife, some glue and a blow-dryer.

View attachment 86306

First I took the blade and "split" the card right down the middle. (I started from the inside where the jersey swatch is)

View attachment 86302

Then I used the blade to cut all around the card.

View attachment 86303

I repeated it on both panels of the card, until the "fronts" were able to be removed.

View attachment 86304

The jersey pieces were glued on pretty good. I didn't have a heat gun, so I used wifey's hair dryer.

View attachment 86305

It made it easy to peel the jersey off. The opposite side was super sticky (I guess, that's the point, right?)

View attachment 86307

I repeated this process for both panels, placing the jersey swatches face down (glue side up)

View attachment 86308

The glue was still warm and sticky, so I didn't need to re-glue the jersey piece in... just used what was already there.

View attachment 86309

And finally, I put the front "covers" back on. These were the only pieces I needed to glue. I used tacky wood glue. It seems to hold pretty well.

View attachment 86310

There is slight evidence of me "splitting" the card if you stare at it from the side (on the inside of the panel). But all in all, it doesn't look like anything was done to it, unless you're looking for it.

I'm getting invalid attachments on my end. I would love to see the pictures of your process!

Members online