Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Stanton - Marlins agree 13 YR/$325 million pact

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
One one hand, good for Marlins fans who finally have a face of the franchise guy to root for. I'm guessing the Fish will take out an insurance policy of some sort to defer the risk during the later years of the contract. Thirteen years is obviously crazy, but I suppose if salaries keep going up he very well may opt out after 5 years.

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Will go down as one of the worst contract signings in history of sports....book it.

And I love Giancarlo.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Jeffrey Loria says Marlins will surround Giancarlo Stanton with all-stars....
So basically, it will be just like the other Marlins championship teams, in which the owner paid a fortune for stars, won a title, then immediately gutted the team of all of its best players.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Jeffrey Loria says Marlins will surround Giancarlo Stanton with all-stars....

I could believe Triple-A All-Stars! ;)

I think it will go down as a very bad deal for the Marlins for many reasons. Obviously a win for Giancarlo's bank account.

And, the MLBPA won't allow 5 year maximum contracts - they are too powerful of union. The players just need their agents to put 5-year out clauses in contracts that those players can become free agents in 5 years if they think they can command more salary per year in 5 years time.

MGiuseffi

Aug 22, 2008
He'll finish the last three years of this contract for my beloved Yanks hitting .260 with 12 hr and 60 rbi per season.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Reports saying this deal is also backloaded - which is good for the Marlins if he opts out in the middle.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11897600/giancarlo-stanton-325m-miami-marlins-heavily-backloaded

"According to a major league source who had seen the terms, Stanton's salaries over those first three seasons will be only $6.5 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016 and $14.5 million in 2017, far less than he could have earned through arbitration in 2015 and 2016 and then via free agency. He would earn $77 million over the next three seasons and could opt out of the contract after 2020, following his age 30 season."

Not a coincidence that this is also when the current television contract is up.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I should have known that with Loria involved, there is a catch related to his personal enrichment. The Marlins TV deal is up in 2020 and they plan to begin negotiations in the next 2-3 years. This is an attempt to improve local ratings, which are the worst nationally, and improve their bargaining position to offer his TV partners a team with a star attraction. Winning and signing his star player will make Loria money, so now he's willing to do those things.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I should have known that with Loria involved, there is a catch related to his personal enrichment. The Marlins TV deal is up in 2020 and they plan to begin negotiations in the next 2-3 years. This is an attempt to improve local ratings, which are the worst nationally, and improve their bargaining position to offer his TV partners a team with a star attraction. Winning and signing his star player will make Loria money, so now he's willing to do those things.

Did you think baseball wasn't a business? No owner EVER makes ANY move unless he believes it will make him more money somehow. That is why they own the teams. Owners only care about championships because they tend to result in more money through merchandise, tickets, and TV deals. Now are they always the right moves? No, but they are made to improve profits. Maybe this is the cynical accountant in me, but I think not.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My customer is happy
Is your customer a Marlins fan?
Because if not, I don't know why the owner of a Stanton superfractor would be happy, since he'll be playing in a relative obscurity, compared to if he had signed to a team with a huge fan base, which translates to much higher prices.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Is your customer a Marlins fan?
Because if not, I don't know why the owner of a Stanton superfractor would be happy, since he'll be playing in a relative obscurity, compared to if he had signed to a team with a huge fan base, which translates to much higher prices.

Maybe the Marlins super fan sitting behind the plate for all the World Series games bought it?

Members online

Latest posts