Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wow, what a sale. $10,000 for a Jeter '98 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Refractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbacksfan4life

Aug 21, 2013
Arizona
Wow! My dad had that same card but his whole collection got stolen a couple of years ago:( That would be a nice little chunk of $$$$ to have in your pocket

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Anyone know the odds?

1:1279 for one, so 1 in 53+ boxes x's 220 players = 1 in 11,724 boxes (1:281380 packs) to pull one player w/ perfect collation.

X's 5 of each player, about 58620 Hobby boxes made.

Don't know if this version /5 was included in retail or not though

Ryan

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I don't have a retail wrapper, but I'd bet the farm that all parallels were included in retail. I don't believe BC changed odds between retail vs. hobby until sometime in the 2000's. Those are also ridiculously tough pulls as you point out with your calculations, which I think are even far longer than that when you factor in retail product. I opened nearly 100 boxes of 1998 Bowman Chrome II and I only pulled one of Justin Bauman (or at least I think that was his name). All that said, $10K seems pretty excessive, BUT if I'm giving an honest opinion, this makes far more sense than $10K for some Byron Buxton Red Auto Refractor for a long term investment, or whatever ridiculous quantity of cash people are willing to dish out for unproven players.

1998 isn't that far gone from memories. However, as it gets further and further back in time (apply this to all low #'d inserts from 90/00's), I would imagine the value of the harder to come by cards from this era are going to continue to climb in value. Maybe we are starting to see a hint towards this now?

1:1279 for one, so 1 in 53+ boxes x's 220 players = 1 in 11,724 boxes (1:281380 packs) to pull one player w/ perfect collation.

X's 5 of each player, about 58620 Hobby boxes made.

Don't know if this version /5 was included in retail or not though

Ryan

katieneack

Apr 7, 2012
Northern Kentucky
I don't have a retail wrapper, but I'd bet the farm that all parallels were included in retail. I don't believe BC changed odds between retail vs. hobby until sometime in the 2000's. Those are also ridiculously tough pulls as you point out with your calculations, which I think are even far longer than that when you factor in retail product. I opened nearly 100 boxes of 1998 Bowman Chrome II and I only pulled one of Justin Bauman (or at least I think that was his name). All that said, $10K seems pretty excessive, BUT if I'm giving an honest opinion, this makes far more sense than $10K for some Byron Buxton Red Auto Refractor for a long term investment, or whatever ridiculous quantity of cash people are willing to dish out for unproven players.

1998 isn't that far gone from memories. However, as it gets further and further back in time (apply this to all low #'d inserts from 90/00's), I would imagine the value of the harder to come by cards from this era are going to continue to climb in value. Maybe we are starting to see a hint towards this now?

I think the board members who frequent the Super Sweet 90's thread can attest to this. The prices being paid for the really rare 90's inserts has skyrocketed in recent years, at least for the really good players. 5-10 years ago I would never have imagined paying what I have recently for some of the rare 90's cards I've picked up.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I think the board members who frequent the Super Sweet 90's thread can attest to this. The prices being paid for the really rare 90's inserts has skyrocketed in recent years, at least for the really good players. 5-10 years ago I would never have imagined paying what I have recently for some of the rare 90's cards I've picked up.

The baseball player collectors are hoping that it is only Jeter that is finally competing with the basketball card market of the late 90's. Those prices get crazy quick. If baseball catches up even slightly, it should make for a lot of fun listings to watch. I'm ready for a Jeter or Griffey Red Crusade (without refractor lines) to get listed. All the talk on how much they might go for just makes me want to see one finally listed. By the way, check this basketball 1/1 still active (134 watchers)

1997 Ultra Masterpieces Anfernee Hardaway 1 1 24 BGS 7 5 NRMT PWCC | eBay

stressreelief

Dec 2, 2011

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It's crazy that it was sitting at $1000 til the last day of the auction. Quite a furious $8k last day jump

Ryan

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So outside of a gem sp rc, is this the most extensive Jeter card ever?

What would happen if the 1997 showcase one of one shows up now?

Anyway, this sale could pull up the values even more on other super rare (numbered or not) Jeter cards.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I love how super rare inserts get an even more premium if graded.

Makes me want to grade all my Belle 1/1s and rare '90s inserts for the hell of it and to help with resale value if hell freezes over ;)

Honestly though... $10k?!?! I'm still in shock. That's so much money.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts