Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rookie Cards That You Should Own, but Probably Don’t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Why? who forced you to buy one?

I don't feel he's Hall worthy, he was a good player. I think he got in because of the work he did with the Cubs after he was out of the game. Shouldn't take 30+ years to get in if you deserve to be there. Who made me buy? OCD and the PSA Set Registry.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
1951 Bowman- Willie Mays #305

Often overshadowed by his center field contemporary but never overlooked, Willie Mays might have been the greatest player to ever live. An absolute physical specimen that excelled at a premium defensive position, while putting up offensive numbers that would stand the test of time. I feel his 1951 Bowman is still undervalued even though a PSA 2 can set you back a little over $550. Consider this: that is less than a Xander Boegarts Bowman Chrome gold refractor autograph. The card itself is such a mystery because it brings up so many questions. Why is that golden tarp flowing in the background, and what is housed in the green shed just behind it? For me this makes the card and exemplifies what the 1951 Bowman set is all about, art. This card is truly a masterpiece in our hobby and one that everyone should strive to own.

1951-Bowman-Willie-Mays.jpg

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
1981 WTF Rochester Redwings- Cal Ripken Jr. #SC1

Widely regarded as the third hardest pre-rookie Ripken to find, this black and white beauty is a rising star. With the harder two examples skyrocketing in price, this card is an option for modest collectors looking for a rare Ripken than won’t break the bank, yet. Sadly, I passed on a complete set (Ripken is also picture on the checklist which goes for $75) last year at $375. Now, if you can even find one, the Ripken alone will go for $400. I believe this card has much more room to grow due to its limited availability and designation as one of Cal’s very first cards. Visit FCB board member RITM’s website (1981 WTF Rochester - Ripken in the Minors) for more information regarding high end early Ripkens.
1981 Ripken WTF.jpg

Laxcat

Sep 6, 2013

Widely regarded as the third hardest pre-rookie Ripken to find, this black and white beauty is a rising star. With the harder two examples skyrocketing in price, this card is an option for modest collectors looking for a rare Ripken than won’t break the bank, yet. Sadly, I passed on a complete set (Ripken is also picture on the checklist which goes for $75) last year at $375. Now, if you can even find one, the Ripken alone will go for $400. I believe this card has much more room to grow due to its limited availability and designation as one of Cal’s very first cards. Visit FCB board member RITM’s website (1981 WTF Rochester - Ripken in the Minors) for more information regarding high end early Ripkens.
1981 Ripken WTF.jpg

Is this the one that is rare due to the fact the shed at the Stadium that was housing them burned down?

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Is this the one that is rare due to the fact the shed at the Stadium that was housing them burned down?

Supposedly only 1,800 sets were printed. I believe Cal being card #1 was usually a little more condition sensitive due to the shrink wrap. Visit RITM's site for more in depth info on all early rare Ripken's. That guy has a ton of info on them and it's really an invaluable resource.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
It's amazing how undervalued amd under appreciated Frank Robinson is

I thought the same thing when I saw those values! I love Brooks, and own a PSA7 RC of his, but Frank's #s just trounce Brooks'. (Full disclosure, I also own a raw Frank card...)

tunahead

May 17, 2009
Austin,TX

I wonder how much the only PSA 10 of this card would go for at auction today...

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Clayton Kershaw 2006 Bowman Chrome AU RC

Although this card will fetch north of $100 raw, the kid is just 25 and on the verge of winning his second CY award. If he can continue even close to what he is now for the foreseeable future, that $100 or so buy in is going to seem like a steal. I can see this card topping $200 after the CY award this year (if and when he wins), but I believe this to be a 'must have' HOF card 15 - 20 years from now when he is voted in as one of the best pitchers of this, or any generation.

I'd rather wait till 2025 or so. Kershaw's great but replace "Clayton Kershaw" with "Tim Lincecum" and see how risky young pitchers can be. I think this is kind of the point of the thread. Don't buy the BC auto of a current star, buy a 1957 Topps Frank or Brooks Robinson.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I don't feel he's Hall worthy, he was a good player. I think he got in because of the work he did with the Cubs after he was out of the game. Shouldn't take 30+ years to get in if you deserve to be there. Who made me buy? OCD and the PSA Set Registry.

i am not old enough to remember his playing days. As for the registry, i hear you on that.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I'd rather wait till 2025 or so. Kershaw's great but replace "Clayton Kershaw" with "Tim Lincecum" and see how risky young pitchers can be. I think this is kind of the point of the thread. Don't buy the BC auto of a current star, buy a 1957 Topps Frank or Brooks Robinson.

Exactly.

Collectors all learn eventually, some quicker then others.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

I know its not the point of this thread, but since the issue was raised, I get really tired of hearing this.

It took Santo so long to get in because of a bunch of bs amongst the sport writers from his era who disliked his "cockiness".

He trounced Robinson as an offensive player and was nearly as great a defender.

I agree that Santo and Billy Williams RCs are greatly undervalued.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia

I agree and nothing against [MENTION=2223]matfanofold[/MENTION] but I feel that Kershaw suggestion is against the very point of the thread

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I agree and nothing against @matfanofold but I feel that Kershaw suggestion is against the very point of the thread

Yeah. My idea was to spotlight cards I felt most on here weren't aware of or cards that are not the "main" RC of that set. Definitely a vintage slant due to the prospecting slant on this board.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
1954 Johnston Cookies-Henry Aaron

42731a_lg.jpeg

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the Hammer had a mainstream 1954 Topps issue, but there is something to be said about this regional issue that is much more scarce. Generally cheaper than the standard Topps issue, this clean and simple design is effective and very appealing to the eye.

If I ever had the chance to get a card signed by Mr. Aaron this would be my choice. Rare, crisp, clean and featuring a photo that Topps did not beat to death puts this card on my list of rookies you should own, but probably don't.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Thanks for bumping this. For me it is the 1960 Yaz RC. The hero of my youth in what I think is a very classic design. I will pick one up some day...

Members online

Latest posts