Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Missed out on this card 2 years ago for $1200 - bought it last week for $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
I was going pretty hard after Taijuan Walker mid-2012 and that is when he was starting to gain in popularity. That was the last time I saw a raw version of his 2010 Elite Gold Status /5 Auto pop up on eBay and it sold for nearly $1200.

Using my eBay Alerts, I was notified that last week that a BGS 9.5 was list, and much to my chagrin, it was list by Probstein.

I was torn, I typically do not bid on items from sellers that have shilling tendencies. But, I have been chasing one of these for quite a while.

So, I decided that was I going to bid once. Put my max bid, what I would pay for the card, and let the auction ride. If I was shilled and lost out, it just wasn't meant to be.

I placed my bid at $250, with full expectations that in the remaining minutes I would see the auction rise the few cents leading up to my max bid.

Twenty seconds left, and the auction is only at $90 and I begin to think, that I might be getting this at a cheaper price than I thought.

Ten seconds left, up to $103. My hopes are growing.

5 seconds left - at $106. I start to do a little dance.

0 seconds. I watch the timer hit all zeros. I look down.

$108.50.

Nearly $150 under what I was going to pay. It was mine.

A few days later, she arrived:

2010-eee-taijuan-walker-gold-status-auto-02_zps74f28806.jpg

But, that's not the end of my story. I had an "extra" $150 sitting in my pocket. What could I so with that? I mean, in my head I thought I was playing with house money. I had this money spent and now its back in my pocket.

I do a little shopping of some of my other eBay alerts and find an auction with a pretty poorly worded title and place a bid.

A few days later, this arrived:

2010-nt-sam-bradford-rpa-65_zps6eb584dd.jpg

I had to pay a little bit over my extra $150, but all-in-all, I got two great cards for nearly the price I was willing to pay for one of them.

Sometimes, the home team does win.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Nice pickups. I can't believe Vaj Wall got up that high to begin with, but it shows what crazy people speculators are.

I love getting cards for 12% of what they used to sell for. I'm still excited I got a 86D Jose Canseco for $3 about 10 years ago.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I love getting cards for a fraction of what I originally lost them for.

Didnt know Bradford's were that low. I need to pick up some older Exquisites and NT's soon. I just picked up a Colt McCoy Exquisite for $45.

Also bought a Vince Carter SPA 9.5 for $75. Those used to be $3500. Lol

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If you ever want to see "crazy", look and see what certain graded GEM cards sold for in late 90s early 00s.

That carter is a perfect example.

I remember selling a gem 97 Miguel Tejada BASE chrome for $200!

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
PSA 9 Vladdy 1995 Bowman's Best Refractor.... $3,200!!

If you ever want to see "crazy", look and see what certain graded GEM cards sold for in late 90s early 00s.

That carter is a perfect example.

I remember selling a gem 97 Miguel Tejada BASE chrome for $200!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Very nice! Nothing to the $ amount as you speak of but there have been a few times where I lose a Belle 1/1 and then it pops back up a year or so later and I end up winning for less than it went for. It's a great feeling. Goes to prove the hobby is all about time and money... that's all.

Members online

Latest posts