Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hi My introduction and question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoundingThird

Dec 8, 2017
midwest at the moment.
Hello everyone. I've been lurking a little while and feel like I should introduce myself.

I won a large number of baseball cards around 1985. I've added to the "collection" every now and then by throwing another pack in the box. In 2013 I inherited a large number of cards. I never had time to do anything with them. Busy raising kids and that sort of thing.

I finally decided I should see what I have in that box, now that I have time. I had estimated I had about 3,000 altogether. Actually I have about 8,000. I am busy putting them in binders and recording what I have. Right now I am writing them in a notebook but plan on getting Excel and recording what I have in there.

My question is, how does everyone keep track of their cards when you have large numbers of cards? Is there a better way than Excel? I'm about halfway done with recording everything in the notebook. I haven't even seen half the cards I have yet. But writing all this in a notebook, only to transfer it all to Excel when I'm done.. :eek: Is there an easier way?

Thanks everyone!

Sonic311

Jun 14, 2016
Paramount, CA
Welcome to the boards.

I myself use Beckett Organize to log/manage my collection which is nearing the 10K mark. That I've entered anyway.
I've also scanned the majority of my cards and have them uploaded in Photobucket. I do copy and paste from my Beckett Organize to Photobucket so that I have the same naming convention.

Feel free to browse through my profiles below, maybe you can get some ideas for your collection.

photobucket
http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z456/colima311/
Beckett Organize
www.beckett.com/users/sonic311

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Welcome!
That said, I use Excel to list the number of cards from each year and also a column for what they are worth. I then use separate Excel sheets for higher dollar cards, graded cards, autographed cards, etc. Those sheets I do by year.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I have a freewebs page where I scan and list all my graded/autos both in person and certs/game used/wantlists etc. that way it's easy to send a link of a list/scan to a potential trade/sale.

I also have all of my in person signed cards in a sortable on-line excel file that has prices for selling and can be sorted by team/name/brand on the different tabs because everyone sorts/searches for their collection differently.
I just do that with my signed cards because I have a ton of them, but have seen people do online excel for wantlists or trade lists or whatever. Again, a quick and easy way to just send someone your link and have them take a look if you're trading/selling.

Welcome to the boards!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

RoundingThird

Dec 8, 2017
midwest at the moment.
Thanks for the welcome!

It sounds like a good organizational system you have. I just never thought that it would be so tedious once I got down to organizing them. It has been a lot of fun, I'll just be glad when it is done. :benson:

Prophet

Dec 5, 2017
Ohio
Hello and welcome. I am somewhat new on these boards but I can tell you these guys really know there stuff.

RoundingThird

Dec 8, 2017
midwest at the moment.
I will be having fun keeping it updated.

Right now my biggest problem is that I've been looking at Ebay and I want every card I see. I'd love to build a collection of the Brooklyn Dodgers but have to limit myself for now.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
I will be having fun keeping it updated.

Right now my biggest problem is that I've been looking at Ebay and I want every card I see. I'd love to build a collection of the Brooklyn Dodgers but have to limit myself for now.

the Vintage guys on here will be a lot of help . I have 90% of my cards by teams and in alpha order , I deal bulk team or player 1985- 2017 .That's over 200 of 3200 counts

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If only I had started an inventory list in 1978 and stuck with it as I added. Never happen now, too many. I can't even stomach the thought of spending the time to inventory my Garvey collection. Started with front and back scans and got through about 1978 and it fizzled out!

I started making a list of all Dodger players to inventory autographs with and have yet to finish the list. In all fairness to me, it has years with team, death year and if they were LA, Brooklyn or both. I also added an "award" column to note gold gloves, MVP, All Star, etc. Finally I have columns for the type of auto (certified Dodger uniform, TTM/IP, etc). I am 98% done with a list of all players, and maybe 1/3 done with the other columns. If I ever finished, it would take forever to actually sort through all my autos to record them.

RoundingThird

Dec 8, 2017
midwest at the moment.
If only I had started an inventory list in 1978 and stuck with it as I added. Never happen now, too many. I can't even stomach the thought of spending the time to inventory my Garvey collection. Started with front and back scans and got through about 1978 and it fizzled out!

I started making a list of all Dodger players to inventory autographs with and have yet to finish the list. In all fairness to me, it has years with team, death year and if they were LA, Brooklyn or both. I also added an "award" column to note gold gloves, MVP, All Star, etc. Finally I have columns for the type of auto (certified Dodger uniform, TTM/IP, etc). I am 98% done with a list of all players, and maybe 1/3 done with the other columns. If I ever finished, it would take forever to actually sort through all my autos to record them.

Wow. I don't feel so bad, now.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It can be easy to add bulk if that is what you are looking for. They steadily multiply over time of you are actively collecting and not selling or trading anything away and if you start to buy collections, then it can really multiply. I just bought about 40+ super shoe (3 row) boxes from a shop that used them for quarter boxes.

800K is a lot of accumulation for sure. Storage becomes an issue for most. I lost track of how many cards I have, but I can say it is too many when I think about what I am going to do with them. Was hoping the kids would take an interest, but that doesn't look promising. Damn if I don't keep buying the things though.

That is how many cards you have?!

:eek: