Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Griffey Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GC24

Apr 29, 2016
How could this happen? Any advice to share to help others notice/avoid the scam?

Well, seller protection is all BS from what I've learned. Even the guys local police department refused to take a police report.

Deal with people you "know" when selling, would be my best advice. There was no indication the person was even a scammer. He simply abused the system.

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
Well, seller protection is all BS from what I've learned. Even the guys local police department refused to take a police report.

Deal with people you "know" when selling, would be my best advice. There was no indication the person was even a scammer. He simply abused the system.

Did you mail via USPS? Contacting the postmaster in the zip code you sent it to might do more than the police will. Mail fraud is federal and is actually serious. Hope that helps.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Did you mail via USPS? Contacting the postmaster in the zip code you sent it to might do more than the police will. Mail fraud is federal and is actually serious. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately, "mail fraud" is a unicorn that is thrown around in our community to make us feel better. But the brutal truth is, mail fraud is rarely prosecuted for a couple hundred bucks in cards, the system sides with the buyer 99% of the time, regardless of what is right.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Lets dig this thread back up.

Over the years, I would come across really cool insert sets that Griffey wasn't included in. What are some of the sets you wish had a Griffey in them?

1991 and 1993 Donruss Elite. A complete run of 1990s Elite Inserts would have been great.
Elite9192.png

In 1996, I pulled one of the coolest dufex cards of freaking Brooks Kieschnick. I realize this set was meant more for young up-and-comers, but I always wished Griffey was in there.
1996 Pinnacle Project Stardom
Elite.png

1996 and 1997 Ultra Season Crowns. Cool-looking, but Griffey-less.
seasoncrowns.png

Last edited:

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
This is possibly my favorite set of all time. It's a shame they felt like they had to make it "rookies" and only ten cards (with only Piazza and Salmon being more than a common). If it had been 30 cards and full of the stars of the day it would be a super sweet set to put together (especially pre-internet) for an otherwise very attractive product with horrible checklists:

1993 Score Select Rookie & Traded All-Star Rookie Team #6 - Jeffrey Hammonds
Courtesy of COMC.com

Griffey has a couple kinda sorta already like this (Goin Jake AP, Clout AP), but not with the bold lettering/horizontal presentation. It would have been a fun card to chase (1:576). When you make a gorgeous card, why limit it to so few players - in this instance, just one.

1993 Score Select Rookie & Traded #N /AT - Nolan Ryan
Courtesy of COMC.com

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
This is possibly my favorite set of all time. It's a shame they felt like they had to make it "rookies" and only ten cards (with only Piazza and Salmon being more than a common). If it had been 30 cards and full of the stars of the day it would be a super sweet set to put together (especially pre-internet) for an otherwise very attractive product with horrible checklists:

1993 Score Select Rookie & Traded All-Star Rookie Team #6 - Jeffrey Hammonds
Courtesy of COMC.com

Griffey has a couple kinda sorta already like this (Goin Jake AP, Clout AP), but not with the bold lettering/horizontal presentation. It would have been a fun card to chase (1:576). When you make a gorgeous card, why limit it to so few players - in this instance, just one.

1993 Score Select Rookie & Traded #N /AT - Nolan Ryan
Courtesy of COMC.com

Love the dufex! The circular pattern on the Ryan kind of reminds me of the dufex Cooperstown cards.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
This is something I've thought about for years! I was always/still am baffled by the fact that Griffey was not in certain insert sets, specifically:

• 1993 Donruss Elite (agree with you): this would probably be in my top 10 favorite Griffey cards if they had included him; this design from 1993 was outstanding
    1993-Donruss-Elite-Roberto-Alomar-26-e1460840735770.jpg
  • 1994 Flair Hot Numbers: This was my favorite insert set from 1994. I pulled a Mike Piazza in my first Flair pack I ever bought at the flea market and nearly died when I turned it over and saw the front; immediately asked the dealer if Griffey was in the set couldn't believe his response when he said no
    337-453157Fr.jpg
  • 1994 Fleer ProVisions: This set - and specifically the Ozzie Smith - was so cool. It's why I like the 1997 Peter Max Serigraphs set.
    ozzie-Copy.jpg
  • 1994 Select Rookie Surge: The most gaudy, over-the-top dufex card in my opinion. Pure 90's awesomeness
    401-RS4Fr.jpg
  • 1996 Donruss Pure Power: Why was Griffey in the Power Alley and Roundtrippers sets, but not the Pure Power set? This was my favorite insert from '96 Donruss
    Dante-Bichette.jpg

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
This is something I've thought about for years! I was always/still am baffled by the fact that Griffey was not in certain insert sets, specifically:
  • 1994 Select Rookie Surge: The most gaudy, over-the-top dufex card in my opinion. Pure 90's awesomeness
    View attachment 66167

This and the 95 Zenith Z-Team set have my vote for #1 and #2 of 90s gaudy dufex awesomeness

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I think as far as player collectors go, we are pretty fortunate with what he is included in.

But I'm still wanting to see more cool insert sets that he wasnt in. Who else???

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
Any dufex set he's not in has my vote. White hot and 95 Zenith are my 2 favorite Griffey Dufex inserts no question

spcollector

Nov 11, 2009
Has anyone seen this card. I have been trying to track one down for years for my SP Buyback collection. If anyone has any info on it, please let me know! Thanks!

1997 SP Vintage Autographs #9 Ken Griffey Jr. '93 PP (serial numbered /5)

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
could you guys help me with pricing on this?

As an Edgar collector, the other players bring down the value.. So I would say it's worth about $5.. but I'll be nice and give you $10.. :cool:

Seriously, I would say it's value is about $100 - $120 since it's low numbered.. There is so much game used cards out there and the 2009 Ultimate prices have come down..

If you are going to sell it, let me know and I'll offer you a fair price.

The reason they have Mariners vs the Indians.. the M's first trip the ALCS in 1995, we faced the Indians who swept us in 4 games!

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
As an Edgar collector, the other players bring down the value.. So I would say it's worth about $5.. but I'll be nice and give you $10.. :cool:

Seriously, I would say it's value is about $100 - $120 since it's low numbered.. There is so much game used cards out there and the 2009 Ultimate prices have come down..

If you are going to sell it, let me know and I'll offer you a fair price.

The reason they have Mariners vs the Indians.. the M's first trip the ALCS in 1995, we faced the Indians who swept us in 4 games!

Whoa, now. Bob Wolcott won game 1 and Buhner hit 2 HR in a Game 3 victory. But we were emotionally exhausted after that series with NYY. I don't blame you, though. It actually felt like a sweep for some reason. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_American_League_Championship_Series