Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1967 Topps - Fake Seavers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Topps

Sep 8, 2015
I'm down to two cards to finish my 1967 Topps set. I can only afford a low grade Seaver, but would prefer not to pay a premium for a graded card. Does anyone have any tips to distinguish a legitimate low grade card from the plethora of low grade fakes?

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Is this really an issue now? Wow. One of the reasons this hobby is scary. Are people printing fake cards?

67Topps

Sep 8, 2015
Is this really an issue now? Wow. One of the reasons this hobby is scary. Are people printing fake cards?

I got burned for $60 on a low grade fake Mantle. Couldn't tell until the card was in hand that most of the blemishes were printed on the card. Many of the fakes have cut rounded edges like playing cards. Many of those eBay sellers hide in the description "may be original, listing as RP".

It's a shame that these people even exist.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm down to two cards to finish my 1967 Topps set. I can only afford a low grade Seaver, but would prefer not to pay a premium for a graded card. Does anyone have any tips to distinguish a legitimate low grade card from the plethora of low grade fakes?

On cards like that I'm only buying it from someone I trust online or if I can lay hands on it before I pay for it.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
One more way to help tell the difference without having it in hand, is that fakes also are centered. So if you see one that is not perfectly centered, it's more than likely genuine.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think counterfeit Seavers were big a long time ago, like in the 80s when the Rose counterfeit came out. I don't follow that segment of the market too closely, but it seems a very low-risk thing.

Low-grade graded ones aren't too expensive, are they? There's a 4 for $445, 5s for about $600. Those are just BIN prices, you can do a little better at auctions. Or just bottom-feed patiently. A PSA 6.5 just sold for $129 BIN. (What? Is that right?)

If you do go ungraded, just make sure you're looking at good, high-red pictures and if anything feels off at all, don't buy. It's not a hard card to find, and there's going to be an affordable one out there that looks nice.

Members online