Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Flashing back to January 1991 courtesy of SCD Baseball Card Price Guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Trying to clean and organize today and one of the tasks was to shuffle some magazines around. this one turned out to be a duplicate and was in somewhat sad shape, so it went to recycle heaven, but not before I cruised through it one last time and salvaged a couple pieces. This was not the best card magazine, not even the best effort from Krause, and in fact, was mainly just an advertisement vessel. They did offer you a few free cards and occasionally there was a decent article, but mostly just a price guide and ads.

Check out those 89 UP Ryan variations and how about those high series prices. Bet you feel foolish if you bought one and held on to it.

[URL="http://www.comc.com/Cards,sr,i12,=ryan+upper+deck+1990"]http://www.comc.com/Cards,sr,i12,=ryan+upper+deck+1990

Makes me happy to know that i was not buying anything in 1991, but that I probably wouldn't have opted to buy a 100 card brick of Jerome Walton anyway!

There are some other interesting ads as well. I wonder how many people bought some of this stuff. It might make a great find for that player collector, but some of the issues prices certainly weren't welcome to most collectors at the time, only the new in rush of "investors" could likely afford a $300 Ryan watch! Heck, it was limited to 5000 pieces and it seems you'd even get a more limited lithograph (2000 copies) if you acted fast!

How about you super collectors? Do you include magazine subscription inserts in your collection? How about nice multiplayer color ads?

Enjoy the stroll down memory lane or experience it for the first time if you didn't collect then.

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
You can now buy both Ryan's for a buck.

The fact that anyone could buy a FIFTY count lot of that "rare" Ryan should have been a tip off.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yes , I collect Advertisements and order forms that feature Will. I think they are unique and it's not something that happens much these days (sportscards advertising)

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If you don't mind a couple folds, I would drop it in a PWE? Otherwise it may be more cost effective to buy the entire magazine online.

Would love to have that 1990 Upper Deck advertisement with Dawson on it!

Bob Lemke

Jul 30, 2014
Baseball Card Price Guide was meant to directly compete with Beckett monthly. It was hugely successful in the hobby's heyday and was profitable from the very first issue. Obviously there were lots of collectors buying from the ads as the advertisers came back issue-after-issue at ever-increasing rates.

Remember when SCD was 400+ pages per week and came in two sections enclosed in a plastic page?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
SCD is where I learned a huge amount of info from when I was a kid.

I still remember the first time I read the issue and immediately became a subscriber.

I remember I was listed as a contributor to the on going list of errors in 90/91 Pro Set Hockey.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for commenting Bob. It must have been interesting being involved at the time as a hobby veteran, as a lot of us here were probably just kids buying packs and hitting shows at that time. I was not buying cards or periodicals at this time myself though, as I was in the middle of my Navy hitch and had drifted away from cards, so my interest in publications like this would have been after the fact and for the card/collectible information and content. I'd still like to complete the run of these someday. I'm sure it was successful for Krause for what it was intended to be.

I wonder just how many major advertisers in that day are still selling collectibles these days. I'm sure a few are still hanging in there, but I would guess the vast majority have packed up shop by now?

Baseball Card Price Guide was meant to directly compete with Beckett monthly. It was hugely successful in the hobby's heyday and was profitable from the very first issue. Obviously there were lots of collectors buying from the ads as the advertisers came back issue-after-issue at ever-increasing rates.

Remember when SCD was 400+ pages per week and came in two sections enclosed in a plastic page?

Members online

Latest posts