Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

No Brian Kelly Thread?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
I have mixed feelings about him going to ND. Definately don't like the fact he is leaving Cincy before the bowl game. You gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
The guy is a very good pick. He's led Cincinnati into a bright new future, he's Irish-American, and he's Catholic. Looks like a win-win-win to me. Too bad the university expects their athletes to be Rhodes scholars to get on campus.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
justinmandawg said:
The guy is a very good pick. He's led Cincinnati into a bright new future, he's Irish-American, and he's Catholic. Looks like a win-win-win to me. Too bad the university expects their athletes to be Rhodes scholars to get on campus.

That's why I crack up when people rip on ND football
They don't accept some of the awesome talent that others do, due to academic reasons
On the other hand, man did ND football disappoint this year (too many close losses)

dinicon

Jun 30, 2009
I'm torn. Grew up a Notre Dame fan (my dad went there), but I also have a graduate degree from Cinci. It was great to see them finally build up with the local football talent as the backbone of the team. I was hoping Kelly would stay, but very few people have passed on a head coach position at ND.

It happens at every big university with an open position, but I wish these programs would wait until after the bowl season was over to announce their steals. Notre Dame comes off looking very selfish pulling a coach from an undefeated team in a BCS game. I laughed Michigan for hosing WVU with Rodriguez in the same situation, but now it doesn't seem as funny...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
WEASEL move in my opinion.

If you're worried about what the Cinncy kids will think, then why not wait the three weeks? Not much recriuting goes on then, they're can't be many booster meetings, etc. this close to the Holidays. I'm sure ND would have waited, if he asked them too. He was probably worried someone more profile would listen to offers in the meantime. The kids know it's a HUGE opportunity for him, and wouldn't be so upset if he waited to take it. Heck, they might have played better on New Year's as a going away "present".

WEASEL move!

dinicon

Jun 30, 2009
ND would not have waited. None of the programs wait.

Meyer left Utah before the Fiesta Bowl for Florida.
Rodriguez left WVU before whatever BCS game that was for Michigan.
Kelly left Cinci before Sugar Bowl for ND.

Happens routinely now. Recruiting doesn't wait 3 weeks, unfortunately.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
I don't like that he left before the bowl. but unfortunatly that's just the way the system works at this point. As others already pointed out - he's not the first to do this and as I heard others saying today, once he commits to ND, it really does Cincy no good to have him hang around for a month if his thoughts and concers are split or in favor of the upcoming job.

I don't think it was a bad move by ND (though Edsall may have been better :p ), I think he has a chance to suceed there.......then again, they were talking about it here in Chicago on ESPN radio today with a reporter from South Bend and they basically said realistic expectations for next year should be 8 -10 wins.
I think that ultimatley hurts any coach that comes in, cause youre pressured to plug holes to appease the unreal expectations, and we've seen that may be good for a year or two, but it seems it leads to more leaks. IMO they need to give someone the chance (and a certain amount of immunity) to tear some of it away and build it back to their specifications. It just seems noone in their fan base will admit they are not an elite school and need to really reevaluate and retool things.

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
rymflaherty said:
It just seems noone in their fan base will admit they are not an elite school and need to really reevaluate and retool things.

I am one of the bigger ND fans on here and I'll admit it. The ND tradition is one thing but disappointing season after disappointing season is another. Hopefully Kelly brings something to the table that they have been missing.

Daltonb1219

Jul 16, 2009
Hopefully Kelly talks ND into bringing them in to the Big Ten then they can change the name and have a conference game.

But i doubt it will happen until there TV contract is done with NBC.

Members online

No members online now.