Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MONSTER - Josh Johnson/Buehrle/Reyes to TOR For Alvarez/Escobar/Hechavarria/Nicolino/Marisnick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The Jays probably did this deal because they have a tough time attracting premium free agents like Reyes or even guys like Bueherle. They probably are getting these guys on terms superior to what they'd have to pay to sign them in Toronto. As a baseball fan, I could care less about financial commitments unless they cause ownership to be unwilling to add salary. The Jays obviously decided to make a financial commitment to win (Rogers is probably looking to juice viewership). Getting two solid middle of the rotation guys (JJ could be more in the 2nd year after an injury) and a premium shortstop is a better use of money than overpaying in a weak free agent class.

Right now, the Red Sox are a pretty clear pick for last place in the AL East.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think the reason they did this was because they didnt sign Albert.

He was their main goal and the reason they acquired guys like Reyes and Buehrle: to show Pujols they were serious about winning.

Then, they didnt and have now fire-traded the team off.

Again, all 700 Marlins fans should be pissed off beyond belief at a lying team who only wanted a new stadium and the benefits of that.
Except is wasn't only 700 fans that paid for it, it was every tax payer in Miami. Loria is a XXXXing joke for lying to the city and doing crap like this. Public funding for stadiums is bad enough, but when the owner pulls something like this, it's criminal.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
The local officials in Miami Dade were morons to sign that deal, and doing so relying on the word of Marlins ownership without verifying their finances was essentially fiscal malpractice.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Re: MONSTER - Josh Johnson, Buehrle, Reyes to Toronto For Alvarez/Escobar/Hechavarria/Nicolino

Wait hold on there.

The marlins spent $239,365,421,563.53 last year on free agents yet was one of the absolute worst teams.

They gotta sue mlb because we all know money buys championships

elemin8

Aug 7, 2008
The Jays probably did this deal because they have a tough time attracting premium free agents like Reyes or even guys like Bueherle. They probably are getting these guys on terms superior to what they'd have to pay to sign them in Toronto. As a baseball fan, I could care less about financial commitments unless they cause ownership to be unwilling to add salary. The Jays obviously decided to make a financial commitment to win (Rogers is probably looking to juice viewership). Getting two solid middle of the rotation guys (JJ could be more in the 2nd year after an injury) and a premium shortstop is a better use of money than overpaying in a weak free agent class.

This is exactly why the Jays did it. People do not understand how much money Rogers Communications has unless you are from Canada. It's not like the Jays can't afford these players its attracting these guys. I read recently that Upton put Toronto on his no-trade list so this is a great way to get the stars we need as well as attract others. As a Jays fan I am pumped for next year and just bought season tickets cause of it. First time I have felt good about this team since early 90's.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I mean this only in half-jest, but if I were the people of Miami, I would sue that ownership for the cost of the stadium. The deal was to spend billions on an MLB team; what they have now is a AAA team at best...

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Anthony DeSclafani is also going to Miami.

Nathan Rode ‏@BAHighSchool
RHP Anthony DeSclafani was outside of the Top 30, but would've moved in if he remained with the #BlueJays. Power sinker/slider reliever.

nofrills

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I gotta say, I'm sad Alvarez is going to Miami. I loved watching him develop with the Jays, never missed a home start.
Hopefully this will really get him moving.
The Marlins gained at least one "fan" with this trade, but I'll be a Jay's fan forever.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Bold prediction: Both Buehlre and Johnson will have blown out their elbow or wrecked their shoulder by July.

Isnt that how it works in Toronto?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Bold prediction: Both Buehlre and Johnson will have blown out their elbow or wrecked their shoulder by July.

Isnt that how it works in Toronto?

With how much I have into the JJ collection, it wouldn't shock me in the least.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Sad to see Hech & Nicolino go. Hech should be fun to watch. Just give him the gold glove now. I'm not sold on Marisnick. He is at least a year or two away from the bigs. Alvarez is solid, he just needs a strikeout pitch.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Great deal for the Jays but they sure are pinning their hopes on this trade. They're going to be taking on a huge chunk of salary for players who didn't exactly excel in Florida.

Jays are owned by a company the size (and worth) of AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner rolled into one. Mere drop in the bucket.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Plus the joke of a marlins team already unloaded Heath Bell earlier this off season... Who's left on the team?

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
How Loria was able to f-up the Expos, unload them on the MLB, and then buy the Marlins is perplexing enough for me. Now they pull this crap and jam the taxpayers too? Selig should neg this trade when it comes to the office for approval. Isn't that what the process is for?

And I agree, this team should be contracted out of baseball. I'll even settle for a 29 team league with the screwed up schedule just to see this team go away. I feel really bad for Marlins fans.

Members online

Latest posts