Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spike

Oct 22, 2013
Okay, so it's getting to the point to where I am having a hard time locating the rarer cards for my Will Clark PC (mainly late 90s product). Or if I do locate one, it usually ends up on the "Oh S@!T end price" thread.

How many of you have bought wax boxes, etc. in the hope to pull a rare card of your guy. For example, I'd love to buy a box of 98 Bowman Chrome to see if I can pull the Golden Anniversary Refractor, but here are my thoughts:

1. Some of these cards needed for my PC (not just the Refractor example) only show up 1 per case. I'm worried that these rare inserts have already been pulled earlier in the case, so the remaining boxes from the case are listed for sale in order to recoup some $$.

2. Even if I do pull an insert, odds are definitely against me that it would be the player I am looking for.

3. Perhaps all 25 Red Crusade, all 5 Golden Anniversary or all 9 Fleer Tradition Starting 9 cards have already been pulled anyway, so I'd be wasting my time and money without knowing it.

4. Speaking of money, even though the boxes are relatively inexpensive, I could see it adding up over time. Then I'd regret not using that money for a card I need when it finally surfaces. I bought 2 factory sets of 1994 Topps with a 1:45 chance of pulling the Superstar Sampler Clark cards, but failed. A few months later, I was able to acquire them, but somewhat regretted spending the extra money on the sets.

I guess patience is the key. At any event, I'm still considering it. I haven't opened a box in years, and I miss the thrill (no pun intended) of the chance to pull the impossible. For me and the Bowman Chrome example, it would be the equivalent of Charlie pulling the golden ticket to Wonka's chocolate factory.

I would love to read some of your experiences with this!

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
There are plenty more experienced player collectors than myself out there, but I'll throw out an opinion for what it's worth. If I was looking to bust a box, I would also definitely want to go for a 90s box in the hopes of landing something that any modern box wouldn't yield. That being said, the problem seems to be those boxes appear to be priced accordingly anymore. I think sellers usually want a premium for those boxes hoping the tough pulls will drive demand. Problem is, landing one, especially of your player, is about like winning the lottery. I have only been collecting Albert Belle cards for about a year this time, but have also gotten to the point where it's frustrating when nothing is available. It's been difficult for me to practice patience in this limited time, but it has paid off. In fact, I have been able to find some of my most wanted PC Cards through board members here. I was also encouraged in communicating with the resident expert Belle collector here. I'm not sure how long he's been collecting, but he has been able to put together an amazing collection over time, which shows me that it's not an overnight process. My approach is to save the money I might be tempted to throw at long shots so that when the cards I want actually do surface, I'm ready to pick them up. I know Will has a larger collector base, and some of his stuff demands crazy money, but I still don't see that justifying the risk of busting boxes.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I will reassure you: You will never pull a Clark Golden Anniversary Ref. Put money away every month for a future listing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
I will reassure you: You will never pull a Clark Golden Anniversary Ref. Put money away every month for a future listing :)

^^ This, This and THIS^^
And like GJB70 said and I agree with him also about like winning the lottery. I learned to wait it out many moons ago when I tried to pull cards myself. I ended up with over half a million (that's right, OVER HALF A MILLION) cards and I don't really want and still sitting in the closet today. I have not touched those boxes since the late 90's because I know there are no Cal Ripken cards in there anymore. I also know that the "good" inserts are gone because I traded most of them way back then. If you decide to buy boxes in hopes of pulling what you want/need, then good luck and I hope you have a large storage space...

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
Just as others have said, best to save and wait for what you want rather than end up waisting money on stuff that you will most likely get stuck with, and not want. It can be fun to break boxes, but if your collection is focused on anything other than a specific product than the box is a waist of money. Let someone else spend the extra money for you and get it when it hits eBay.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I think group rips are the way to go on '90s stuff if you're going to gamble. Cost savings for all, less likely to get stuff you don't want and will have to store/throw away/give away...otherwise, save and buy. The biggest thrill in collecting can oftentimes be the hunt; once the card is in hand, the hunt dies.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Joel -

What you could do is sell me the cards I need to fill in my holes. Thus creating you needing more cards and the chances of one of them becoming available increases, then you won't have to wait to long to add a new item. It seems like a win/win. ;)

Ryan

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
For the price, I buy a few different 90s boxes every time they pop up. Usually they are between $30-$50 which is like buying a fun lottery ticket. Rodney pulled a Griffey gold embossed refractor from a box and I just pulled this from another lone box....

on the flip side I bought a case of 99 Metal for $1500. I got 5 PMGs but nothing notable. So pretty much a hefty lose. Im a gambler so I love opening up this stuff. I get more enjoyment out a $50 finest box than a $200 triple threads box that's just as much of a loss!

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Personally I wouldn't buy wax boxes to try and find your player; would be way too disappointing in my view. Save for when the card/s do become available and try to connect w/other collectors, even those who collect the same player, to find the items you need. When you do save you may be the one on top when it comes to the "look at the end price" threads.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle

I would agree with this. You have a 0% chance of pulling a Clark Golden Anniversary if you bought a case, but a 93% of pulling card #156 Norm Hutchins. :D

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
^^ This, This and THIS^^
And like GJB70 said and I agree with him also about like winning the lottery. I learned to wait it out many moons ago when I tried to pull cards myself. I ended up with over half a million (that's right, OVER HALF A MILLION) cards and I don't really want and still sitting in the closet today. I have not touched those boxes since the late 90's because I know there are no Cal Ripken cards in there anymore. I also know that the "good" inserts are gone because I traded most of them way back then. If you decide to buy boxes in hopes of pulling what you want/need, then good luck and I hope you have a large storage space...

So what I'm understanding is that all of my missing Darryl Kile inserts are sitting in your closet.

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
[MENTION=10901]Spike[/MENTION], I wish you the best in your box breaking endeavors, if you choose to go that route.

I understand and know the feeling of despair when it's been pushing 10, 15, 20+ years of not being able to acquire that one specific card/the collection of /25 or less '90s cards that are out there. However, you said it: patience. One day, that card or others you're looking for will become available for sale; I think the best thing you can do is make sure you're ready to make the purchase when it does. Of course, the tough part is waiting for that day to come.

However, I also understand the allure of taking chances with unopened wax. Chances are, "it" is probably not sitting in a pack all these years later...but the "what if" nags at you. Especially when you see prices of the product you want at reasonable prices. If you do, tempering expectations could help or the "wax-chase" will not be fun if the odds play out as expected.

That said, as mentioned above, the baseball card gods blessed me a few years ago when I bought a box of '97 Finest on a whim off eBay and pulled a gold embossed refractor of my guy - Griffey. One of the best experiences of my life (no joke). I wish it would happen to more PC guys, but I know my experience was as rare as the card.

But there is still that chance...

cbrandtw

Sep 12, 2008
Daphne, AL
Actually, you do have a chance to pull that Will Clark Golden Anniversary Refractor. Your odds are actually 1:281,380 packs or .00035%. Go ahead and bust some boxes, and in the unlikely event you pull a different Golden Anniversary Refractor other than Will The Thrill sell it to one of those other guys who still need it for their collection. Just ask [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] about his miracle pull. This happened 7 years ago and I'm still shocked.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...lieve-what-I-just-PULLED!!!!!?highlight=Young

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Buying 90's wax is risky for the reasons you mentioned. One other is the condition of the cards. Too many 90's cards that have been stored in boxes have finishes that stick together. 98 Donruss does. You'll so much better off buying well-stored cards you need if and when they appear. I've hardly ever pulled a nice Grace card I've needed from a box, but man I can't imagine the disappointment I'd feel if I did hit a nice card but it was surface damaged from sticking to another card in the pack!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
^^^ I just read that thread, that was 2009 and I didn't get on here til' 2012. I wish all those members will still active on here now. But great luck by GC there.

Ryan

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Thanks [MENTION=8906]RStadlerASU22[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2549]cbrandtw[/MENTION].....even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Also, FWIW.....I have never seen the Lankford Starting Nine. A new board member has several hundred cards in that set and of course he is missing the Lankford. It is one of the key non-1/1s that I am missing for my PC. The search is still on.

Members online