Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why parallels are important

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
[MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION] i started the Bagwell one, and there was only two of us to start. Now theres three, with a few visitors...

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I agree with you and the changing of serial number comment. I also find it annoying that in one set the reds are the 1/1s and in the next set their the /5 and the green is the 1/1s but the green was /199 before. Or even worse, one set the silver ink is 1/1 and then it's red in the next set and silver is /25.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

For years, the Bowman red were numbered to 1, and this year they are stupidly numbered to 5.Bowman Chrome pink refractors numbered to 35, but in Topps Chrome they are numbered to 5.Probably only a matter of time before they start numbering Superfractors to 30 or something dumb like that.I can't wait for next year when Topps starts making pink and green ice cards, brown refractors signed in purple ink, game used jockstrap cards, ________(insert other absurd idea here).

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I enjoy parallels when they are limited to about 5 or less and they need to be different enough to notice (border color, foil colors). Numbering them differently as the only difference is lame and boring. I would be perfectly happy only adding 15-20 new cards per year, as that seems to be the case, but no ways those 15-20 cards for me are all numbered to 25 or less it seems! I have debated stopping the collection at the current year and only filling in gaps from older sets because I am tired of the new, high end releases, filled with ultra low serial numbers to chase. I have a hard time resisting them and there is enough competition to drive prices upwards into the "no return" range now, not that it guides my collecting, but someday this stuff either gets resold or tossed and it would be nice to think that some of it may increase in resale value above what it cost me!!

I've said this before, but if the top 1-2 player collectors drew the line on going after their players, the secondary market might just crash!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I enjoy parallels when they are limited to about 5 or less and they need to be different enough to notice (border color, foil colors). Numbering them differently as the only difference is lame and boring. I would be perfectly happy only adding 15-20 new cards per year, as that seems to be the case, but no ways those 15-20 cards for me are all numbered to 25 or less it seems! I have debated stopping the collection at the current year and only filling in gaps from older sets because I am tired of the new, high end releases, filled with ultra low serial numbers to chase. I have a hard time resisting them and there is enough competition to drive prices upwards into the "no return" range now, not that it guides my collecting, but someday this stuff either gets resold or tossed and it would be nice to think that some of it may increase in resale value above what it cost me!!

I've said this before, but if the top 1-2 player collectors drew the line on going after their players, the secondary market might just crash!

It would make a nice dent but it wouldn't crash. There is always somebody stepping in to take your place. And if we are talking big time guys like Jeter, Griffey Jr., Ripken, Thomas, etc., there are way too many guys buying their cards. It would certainly lower prices. But it wouldn't stop. Hell, half the time even stuff that has been on ebay five different times over where every big time collector has had their chance to snag it seems to still go for a nice chunk. At least with Bagwell. I've seen some cards slip in price and others climb even higher than what I got them at.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
For my Juan Gonzalez collection
1998 Topps Tek. Still have not completed this set. I am 9 short
1998 Topps Tek Diffractors . Forget about it! 59 of these have never been seen. I have 1 sold 5 off.
2004 Leaf Exhibits.43 card set. Still need 1:eek:
2004 Leaf Exhibits Second Edition. 43 card set. This is as bad as the 98 Diffractors there are 15 that have never been seen 13 have a print run of 46-66.

For my Aramis Ramirez collection.
2007 Topps Moments and Milestones 92 cards
Base serial numbered to 150. I need 1:eek:
Black serial numbered to 25. I need 52
Blue serial numbered to 10. I have 12
Red 1/1 I have 15
I love all these sets! It is what keeps me collecting. The thrill of the hunt.

Last edited:
1998 Topps Tek Diffractors . Forget about it! 59 of these have never been seen. I have 1 sold 5 off.
2004 Leaf Exhibits Second Edition. 43 card set. This is as bad as the 98 Diffractors there are 15 that have never been seen 13 have a print run of 46-66.

Red 1/1 I have 15
I love all these sets! It is what keeps me collecting. The thrill of the hunt.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Its what makes collecting fun :) Plus, mail days are awesome too :)

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida

Red 1/1 I have 15
I love all these sets! It is what keeps me collecting. The thrill of the hunt.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Its what makes collecting fun :) Plus, mail days are awesome too :)

"Plus, mail days are awesome too"
Yes, you got that right.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Here is something the think about.
I just hit 650 Unique in my Aramis Ramirez collection.
All serial numbered to 25 or less.

In a way that is an amazing feat. In another way, it's kind of sad. The idea of finally being able to finish a rainbow or collection of cards that are lower numbered is the only thing that makes me even try it. Being able to sit back and show it to people is the only real reason that it's worth it. Not to brag or anything, but just to have it to say "Hey, this is what I put my effort into". Otherwise, it's kind of a pain and certainly makes you wonder just how rare things are when they can eventually be completed. And if they are worth chasing to the ends of the earth. On one hand, ebay has made things easier for sure. And like Togaman completing the entire 1998 topps tek set is insane. But it's a toss up. Because even ebay cannot bear the fruit of every single rare card. It's almost like we are doing it to prove we can do it despite the odds.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Sometimes parallels are easier to find than the base cards. Agree?

My #1 most wanted card is the 2002 Just Prospects Prototypes JPP17 of Jonny Gomes. Have the gold parallel (below), but have never seen the base, if it even exists. Only rookie card I'm missing.

f-6607.jpg
b-6607.jpg

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I don't like guesswork.I also hate how Topps keeps changing the quantity of a specfic parallel every damn year.One year blue refractors are numbered to 150, next year 99, then the next year 199.Just pick one quantity and stick with it every year.Also do not like the XXXXload of parallels today.I can't even tell the difference between the yellow and gold refractors.And look on eBay at all the erroneous listings calling pink refractors red refractors and vice versa.I recently almost bid on a pink refractor thinking it was a red refractor because the seller listed it wrong.Thankfully I saw the numbering before I bid.

...it's worse than you think...

2013 Bowman Products alone.

Blue Refractor: Bowman #/250 | Bowman Chrome #/250 | Bowman Draft #/99

Pink Refractor: Bowman NONE | Bowman Chrome #/35 | Bowman Draft NONE

Black Refractor: Bowman #/99 | Bowman Chrome #/15 | Bowman Draft #/35

Green Refractor: Bowman NONE | Bowman Chrome RETAIL | Bowman Draft #/75

Last edited:

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
...it's worse than you think...

2013 Bowman Products alone.

Blue Refractor: Bowman #/250 | Bowman Chrome #/250 | Bowman Draft #/99

Pink Refractor: Bowman NONE | Bowman Chrome #/35 | Bowman Draft NONE

Black Refractor: Bowman #/99 | Bowman Chrome #/15 | Bowman Draft #/35

Green Refractor: Bowman NONE | Bowman Chrome RETAIL | Bowman Draft #/75

Good grief, that is awful.Something I think is dumb, gold refractors in every Topps product was always limited to 50, but I noticed they are now numbered to 250 or something in Topps Chrome Update.And the Bowman red are numbered to 5 now too.

Members online

Latest posts