Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: 2004 Skybox LE Artist Proof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I think it's important that, with the Football set, it is demonstrated that Fleer did consider not having Artist Proof cards of the rookies, and makes it more likely that they would also consider doing so in another set.

Math finally came to me, and I calculated some odds. Assuming equal serial numbering (/50), and counting the cards we have seen as equal (i.e., not distinguishing between the /50s and the unnumbered bankruptcy cards), the chance that we would see 42 cards from the first 110 cards, and 0 cards after that, is 0.00000000394%. That's a bit less than 1 chance in 250 million. Meanwhile, the odds that we would see 42 cards from the first 100 cards, and none from 101-110, is 0.6%.

Although there is no evidence to support it, it is also possible that the prospect cards were numbered differently than were the non-prospect cards.

With that knowledge, unless evidence comes to light that prospect cards did indeed have Artist Proof parallels, I would feel very comfortable removing this card from my checklist.

Yeah being that its 9 years later and those who are looking for the prospect cards haven't seen 1, I'd say it would be hard to say they exist. Then with even the unnumbered not passing 100 I think it's prob unrealistic

Ryan

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Yeah being that its 9 years later and those who are looking for the prospect cards haven't seen 1, I'd say it would be hard to say they exist. Then with even the unnumbered not passing 100 I think it's prob unrealistic

Ryan

Yeah. I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt that cards do exist, but in this instance I think there's enough evidence that they don't.

By the way, did you get my PM about my interest in your Gomes cards?

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I think it's important that, with the Football set, it is demonstrated that Fleer did consider not having Artist Proof cards of the rookies, and makes it more likely that they would also consider doing so in another set.

Math finally came to me, and I calculated some odds. Assuming equal serial numbering (/50), and counting the cards we have seen as equal (i.e., not distinguishing between the /50s and the unnumbered bankruptcy cards), the chance that we would see 42 cards from the first 110 cards, and 0 cards after that, is 0.00000000394%. That's a bit less than 1 chance in 250 million. Meanwhile, the odds that we would see 42 cards from the first 100 cards, and none from 101-110, is 0.6%.

Although there is no evidence to support it, it is also possible that the prospect cards were numbered differently than were the non-prospect cards.

With that knowledge, unless evidence comes to light that prospect cards did indeed have Artist Proof parallels, I would feel very comfortable removing this card from my checklist.

With the extensive research you have made, including other collectors of the set, and also a very good appliance of statistics, I'd say you deserve to knock this one out of your checklist.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Yeah. I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt that cards do exist, but in this instance I think there's enough evidence that they don't.

By the way, did you get my PM about my interest in your Gomes cards?

Hey, I will check my PMs when I get home. Sorry for the delay , I meant to get to em last night

Ryan

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I have the base, base diecut, photographer's proof numbered to /50, and the artist's proof that's unnumbered.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
@Pinbreaker, man, that's a sweet card. That's one of the earliest 1/1s of Gomes, and one of the coolest. Would love to find it.

That card also raises an interesting side question. If the prospect Artist Proofs don't exist, do the prospect executive proofs? We'd have to find an executive proof of one of the 111-160 cards to be sure.

From eBay. Looks like Prospect Executive Proof cards do indeed exist.

f57b_12.JPG

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Just updated the list with what's available on COMC (active/sold) and eBay. It adds 16 further examples, although most are simply additional copies, or a numbered card where a card was previously seen only as in unnumbered form. Three cards had not been seen before.

In any event, there are still no cards above #99 on the list, so the previous conclusion—that Artist Proofs were very likely not issued for prospect cards, and perhaps not for any card above #100—holds.

Members online