Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does Rod Carew had a particularly rabid fan base?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Over the last few months, in a couple or rare sets I follow, I've noticed some huge sales on Rod Carew cards.

He's obviously one of the better hitters of all-time, and well deserving of the HOF, but certainly not someone in the upper echelon of HOF's. Still some sales I've seen:

2000 APOH 3000 Club Auto /30 $900 (I sold an Aaron in auction 8 months ago and only got $810)
2000 Fleer 3000 Club Hat/Jersey/Bat $400
2014 Triple Threads Bat knob booklet 1/1 $1250

Is it one major collector or is Carew someone who has a really solid collector base?

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
grannysbobble.jpg

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Is it one major collector or is Carew someone who has a really solid collector base?

My speculation - solid collector base or HOF collectors.

My first impression reading this post was that there was not a lot of autos/relics to collect, but seeing how there is over 1,100 separate autos (of varying print runs) and 1,700 separate relic releases, it seems there is reasonable supply for collectors so the demand cited in this thread must be from fan base or HOF collectors.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
My speculation - solid collector base or HOF collectors.

My first impression reading this post was that there was not a lot of autos/relics to collect, but seeing how there is over 1,100 separate autos (of varying print runs) and 1,700 separate relic releases, it seems there is reasonable supply for collectors so the demand cited in this thread must be from fan base or HOF collectors.

I'm thinking that there may be a few big-time fans for his high-end cards, and although a few have sold in the last few months, it is very possible he does not have a large number of super premium cards. I just found it interesting that his cards sell for so much compared to what other HOFers sell for.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I'd say a solid fan base and the super high end collectors.
I found it very difficult to find a sweet spot auto as they consistently went for more than I was prepared to spend.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've never met a really hardcore Carew collector, but three super-rare card sales isn't a clear picture. The 3000-hit cards both have set collectors that are willing to go deep on the rare stuff. And the knob price isn't too surprising, as a nice 1/1 of a guy who I'm not sure but might never have had a knob card.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
His rc in high end grade always commanded top dollar. I follow Carew high end stuff and those are healthy sales but his stuff don't go THAT high
prob someone who had to have it

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I've never met a really hardcore Carew collector, but three super-rare card sales isn't a clear picture. The 3000-hit cards both have set collectors that are willing to go deep on the rare stuff. And the knob price isn't too surprising, as a nice 1/1 of a guy who I'm not sure but might never have had a knob card.

Comparing them to other players in the respective sets they all did really well. It's not a complete picture but when high-end cards are consistently selling for as much as far bigger names, I figured there may be something.

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
I think someone just really wanted that bat knob. Carew prices for modern cards tend to be pretty similar to Frank Robinson. Kind of tempts me to list mine though...

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
Over the last few months, in a couple or rare sets I follow, I've noticed some huge sales on Rod Carew cards.

He's obviously one of the better hitters of all-time, and well deserving of the HOF, but certainly not someone in the upper echelon of HOF's. Still some sales I've seen:

2000 APOH 3000 Club Auto /30 $900 (I sold an Aaron in auction 8 months ago and only got $810)
2000 Fleer 3000 Club Hat/Jersey/Bat $400
2014 Triple Threads Bat knob booklet 1/1 $1250

First two are big time sets that set collectors drive prices on, the third went to a huge twins high end game used collector.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
First two are big time sets that set collectors drive prices on, the third went to a huge twins high end game used collector.

Good to know on the last one. On the first two, I have owned and followed many sales from those sets and the prices were surprising. Could be two set collectors who just needed those cards but IMO it seems to be a bit of a pattern that high end Carew sells well.

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
A little something to remember on the 3000 hit club bat/jersey/auto /30 cards. Any that pop up signed, have been done after the fact. Or if you prefer, are "aftermarket" cards.

Originally the cards were delivered to Carew to be signed and returned to UD. Due to whatever personal issue he had with Upperdeck at the time, Carew refused to sign them or return them. Over the following years many of the unsigned cards found their way into the hands of one woman in California. Her name escapes me, it's been so long since I followed any of this. But I do recall she owned some sort of crafts shop. She claimed to be a personal friend of Rod Carew and said she received them directly from him.

Since then I've seen several of the signed cards pop up. Whether they were signed at a show or some other avenue, none were signed and returned to UD for pack insertion.

This information come from direct knowledge and many years of building that particular set. I personal refuse to own the Carew auto because of these facts, I don't consider it a true part of the set. I do own an unsigned version and have it as a reminder of the aggravation I went through in tracking down all the information on this card.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
A little something to remember on the 3000 hit club bat/jersey/auto /30 cards. Any that pop up signed, have been done after the fact. Or if you prefer, are "aftermarket" cards.

Originally the cards were delivered to Carew to be signed and returned to UD. Due to whatever personal issue he had with Upperdeck at the time, Carew refused to sign them or return them. Over the following years many of the unsigned cards found their way into the hands of one woman in California. Her name escapes me, it's been so long since I followed any of this. But I do recall she owned some sort of crafts shop. She claimed to be a personal friend of Rod Carew and said she received them directly from him.

Since then I've seen several of the signed cards pop up. Whether they were signed at a show or some other avenue, none were signed and returned to UD for pack insertion.

This information come from direct knowledge and many years of building that particular set. I personal refuse to own the Carew auto because of these facts, I don't consider it a true part of the set. I do own an unsigned version and have it as a reminder of the aggravation I went through in tracking down all the information on this card.

Wow, never knew that. Any chance you'd share a scan of the unsigned (or other cards in the set). I've tried building the set in the last but never got too far...

Titans74

Oct 28, 2010
Wow, never knew that. Any chance you'd share a scan of the unsigned (or other cards in the set). I've tried building the set in the last but never got too far...

When I break them out I'll absolutely shoot you a scan. I put collecting aside a while back and haven't even looked at them myself in quite a while.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
When I break them out I'll absolutely shoot you a scan. I put collecting aside a while back and haven't even looked at them myself in quite a while.

What other big sets have you worked on building?

Members online

Latest posts