Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

JUMBO PATCH! Fake or Real?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
The hearts of many Canseco collectors stopped last night when this was listed:

fakepatch.jpg

Soooooo amazing. The problem I have with it is that after looking at pictures, all I see are pics like these:

fakepatch2.jpg

The patch always seems to only be on a green jersey. Plus, no green jersey cards have been made of Jose in recent history. All the other trajectory cards I've seen of his are white jersey. I've seen some really cool patches of it, don't get me wrong, but this seems to be the odd one out.

If anyone has any info on it, I would LOVE to hear. What are your thoughts? Real or fake?

Last edited:

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Not real. The elephant patch that was worn in 93 and 94, that appeared on home and road jerseys, did not have sunglasses. That was for the batting practice jersey only, which was green.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

The Canseco pic with him wearing it was from 1997 ... getty images shows him wearing that during what looks to be games in April and July. Perhaps it is possible they wore it through a game? BTW [MENTION=6194]Hendersonfan[/MENTION] shoot me your email, I may have a lead for you on a Rickey!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I don't even have to know the history of the elephant patch with glasses on it to know that Topps isn't going to put that on a card in what looks to be a base Topps product numbered to 99

Jul 22, 2016
I don't even have to know the history of the elephant patch with glasses on it to know that Topps isn't going to put that on a card in what looks to be a base Topps product numbered to 99
That was was take on it. A killer patch on a card /99. Maybe a /1 or /5 for a patch like this. But someone is going to pay for something that is fradulently fabricated. Sucks indeed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Well, it's Topps and oddly enough there are a few legitimate crazy patches on those exact /99 cards almost without explanation. Not saying this ones legit, but for future reference you can't use the numbering on this set to rule it out.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well, it's Topps and oddly enough there are a few legitimate crazy patches on those exact /99 cards almost without explanation. Not saying this ones legit, but for future reference you can't use the numbering on this set to rule it out.

Not related to topps but Panini did it with some recent Bagwell cards( NT Silhouettes) where the most insane patches were numbered to /25 while the /15, /10, and /5 look more and more plain as the numbering lowers. It's like they accidentally did it in reverse. Kinda killed the joy of landing the lower numbered stuff. At first I thought there were just some duds but as more and more surfaced, in became factual in nature.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Good thing the seller is someone who would immediately take it down once the obvious fakery is pointed out. Always nice to see honest sellers who would never sell questionable items, or even take questionable patches as consignment items.

Members online

Latest posts