Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2015 Lou Gehrig National Treasures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
(If anyone has any more info to corroborate this post or to disagree please share...)

The 2015 National Treasures set has some really nice cards, and some of the highlights are the jumbo jersey cards, particularly of some of the legends. The set includes players like Ruth and Gehrig. For Ruth it was the first time he's had a jumbo jersey card since the legendary 2005 Absolute Memorabilia set. And for Gehrig it was the first time he's ever had a jumbo jersey card.

Interestingly there is likely a connection between the 2005 Absolute set and the 2015 National Treasures set. Back in 2005, Donruss knew that they were losing their license and (if I have the story correct) included an insane amount of game-used items in the set because they did not know when they might be able to use the unused material that they had again.

Fast forward and Panini comes into the baseball card market. In 2009 they purchased Donruss and with it purchased the game-used materials that Donruss still had around.

I don't know how Donruss decided when to use which material but it is interesting to note that Panini is using material from more than one game-used item in some cases.

In the 2015 National Treasures set, it seems that National Treasures used at least 2 items with pinstripes. What is interesting is that it appears that one was a jersey while the other was a pair of pants.

If you compare the pinstripes on this card with older jersey cards made by Donruss, it appears that this comes from a jersey. The Throwback Threads cards below were some of the earlier Donruss cards and they included the picture of the jersey on the back.
Gehrig 2015 Panini National Treasures Jumbo Jersey 5 5 001.jpg

Gehrig 2001 Donruss Throwback Threads 085 100 001.jpgGehrig backs-l1600.jpg

Meanwhile, these with bolder stripes compare better to copies of cards that were game-worn pants cards:
Gehrig National Treasures Jumbo s-l1600.jpg

(And of course at the moment I can't find good examples of the pants cards, but point is that it seems highly likely that these pieces are from game-used pants.)

I don't know whether most people really care about this. In general people pay more for jersey cards than pants cards. With this set the darker stripe cards (pants cards) seem to be selling for more than the lighter stripes, likely due to the aesthetics. Of course, finding out more often requires a little digging, but the information can often be found with some looking.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Good info... Any chance the parts of the pants(or jersey) front vs back, would have different fading of the stripes. I think [MENTION=12284]16christensen16[/MENTION] has had success with getting answers from Panini.

Ryan

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
You are correct on the Gehrig and people do not realize this. Also The 2015 NT Away Jumbo Ruth pieces are also more than likely his pants but people are paying jumbo jersey prices.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Good info... Any chance the parts of the pants(or jersey) front vs back, would have different fading of the stripes. I think [MENTION=12284]16christensen16[/MENTION] has had success with getting answers from Panini.

Ryan

I have gotten answers from panini on a jackie Robinson jersey they got from donruss. I will call panini again this week and ask on the gehrigs. However I'm 99% sure Topnotchsy and mlballtimegreats are spot on. The lighter pinstripe fabric is jersey and from the original donruss gehrig jersey that dates back to 2000. The bolder fabric is from a pair of pants panini just recently bought.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Once again this shows the importance of understanding the history of game used careds and the importance of researching before you drop big bucks. I would pay double for the jersey version, but it feels like most people don't realize the bolder stripes are pants and are unfortunately paying to much for them. However Topnotchsy has been doing a great job landing the jersey versions :)

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
You are correct on the Gehrig and people do not realize this. Also The 2015 NT Away Jumbo Ruth pieces are also more than likely his pants but people are paying jumbo jersey prices.

I haven't looked at the Ruth's but I had kind of assumed they were all pants. Are the home ones jersey cards?

I have gotten answers from panini on a jackie Robinson jersey they got from donruss. I will call panini again this week and ask on the gehrigs. However I'm 99% sure Topnotchsy and mlballtimegreats are spot on. The lighter pinstripe fabric is jersey and from the original donruss gehrig jersey that dates back to 2000. The bolder fabric is from a pair of pants panini just recently bought.

Once again this shows the importance of understanding the history of game used careds and the importance of researching before you drop big bucks. I would pay double for the jersey version, but it feels like most people don't realize the bolder stripes are pants and are unfortunately paying to much for them. However Topnotchsy has been doing a great job landing the jersey versions :)

When the jersey version is going for less than the pants version, and it's the first time Gehrig has a jumbo jersey... well that works for me.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I haven't looked at the Ruth's but I had kind of assumed they were all pants. Are the home ones jersey cards?

When the jersey version is going for less than the pants version, and it's the first time Gehrig has a jumbo jersey... well that works for me.
Yes the home piece are the left overs of that 1925 jersey that donruss bought.

Members online

Latest posts