Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I just cut the top off my griffey card! Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Anybody who posts less than 5-star feedback for tape on a top-loader is a bad person. Seriously.

Seriously, that is Cardcop-level lunacy. The auction is for "one mint baseball card", not "one mint baseball card and one mint toploader". When cards are sent in the mail the toploader is shipping protection, period. If it arrives in great shape and you can use it, that's just a bonus.

Oh and I've never cut or ripped a card like that but I did stupidly tear a money order in half once while opening an envelope. Luckily the bank let me tape it back together and accepted it for deposit.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
If you blame the seller for this at all I would like your eBay id so I don't have to deal with it in the future. (Although I use tape and a team bag)

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback, and no I'm not going to say anything to the seller about the evidence of "trimming". Is the seller a little bit at fault, in my opinion yes but ultimately it was my carelessness that caused the problem so no reason to blame someone else. Now if the card came out of the holder and had a big corner ding or crease because it came out of the top loader I would have no problem sending it back. Honestly I've opened hundreds of packages this way so it was bound to happen sometime, I don't know why I never thought of opening the side of the package.

Anyways it just shows the importance of using correctly sized toploaders, team bags/or tape (just hopefully not so much it makes it near impossible to get the card out without scratching the surface) It will make your customers happy and keep people like me from destroying 90's inserts.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Not sealing the top of the top loader is negligence on the seller's part. It's similar to shipping game used cards in white envelopes or shipping a card in a holder that only covers half the card [ie tall boy in top loader]. As a seller, I have NEVER shipped a card in a top loader w/o sealing the top. If it's a small $ item, Id message the seller to tape the top so it doesn't happen again. If not, I would certainly be getting a refund.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
BTW - just wanted to add that the card was a pretty damn cool looking insert! Hope you can get another one and it wasn't too expensive!

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
There is a really simple solution to tape on the top loader if you don't have a team bag handy. Just wrap a piece of printer paper around the top loader and tape the paper. Secure and no gunk. I actually find it more secure than a team bag and it feels a little bit like opening a present.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Team bags are cheap...so is folding a sheet of paper around the toploader...don't like tape, but I don't ding for it either.

edited to add: Therion beat me to it

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
Not sealing the top of the top loader is negligence on the seller's part. It's similar to shipping game used cards in white envelopes or shipping a card in a holder that only covers half the card [ie tall boy in top loader]. As a seller, I have NEVER shipped a card in a top loader w/o sealing the top. If it's a small $ item, Id message the seller to tape the top so it doesn't happen again. If not, I would certainly be getting a refund.
What's your eBay ID so I can block you...

I always put cards in team/psa bag...

But would still like to block you...

Sent from my XT1060 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I can honestly say I have had cards slip out of hard casesa few times before. I can only remember damage to one of them.
As far as your situation, I have received 4 bubble envelopes since this poststarted. I thought of you four separate times. I am openly careful because ofthis post.

Members online

Latest posts